Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to acquire useful implements to speed up work and to do a better job of it, I've been doing a ton of research into land planes. I got a quote from ABI for their 7' land plane for about $2300 including shipping. The 7' Frontier land plane is like $3200 (of course more $$) but it weighs over 900 pounds and the ABI plane is 765 pounds. The blades are welded on the Frontier as I recall and the ABI blades aren't and I think adjustable (maybe - I've looked at so many land planes.)

My Frontier implements are all top shelf, they are expensive but built like a tank (I have the heavier versions of the Frontier implements.) There's not a whole lot of feedback on ABI but the price is attractive (and includes scarifiers.) I had a Land Pride rotary mower, box blade and rake with my old Kubota and they were okay but a definite step below my Frontier stuff.

I know weight is important for ground contact implements and a very general indicator of build quality but what difference would 200 pounds make in a land plane. I'm real leery about ABI just because they aren't one of the major players in general purpose implements (and I do not believe they make the land plane themselves - it's sourced from a company I've never heard of.)

Just looking for a little advice here before spending more $$$.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought an everythingattachments land plane recently. Not one of the brands you mentioned but just thought I'd throw it in there in case you were looking for additional options. Works great and is well made.

In my quest to acquire useful implements to speed up work and to do a better job of it, I've been doing a ton of research into land planes. I got a quote from ABI for their 7' land plane for about $2300 including shipping. The 7' Frontier land plane is like $3200 (of course more $$) but it weighs over 900 pounds and the ABI plane is 765 pounds. The blades are welded on the Frontier as I recall and the ABI blades aren't and I think adjustable (maybe - I've looked at so many land planes.)

My Frontier implements are all top shelf, they are expensive but built like a tank (I have the heavier versions of the Frontier implements.) There's not a whole lot of feedback on ABI but the price is attractive (and includes scarifiers.) I had a Land Pride rotary mower, box blade and rake with my old Kubota and they were okay but a definite step below my Frontier stuff.

I know weight is important for ground contact implements and a very general indicator of build quality but what difference would 200 pounds make in a land plane. I'm real leery about ABI just because they aren't one of the major players in general purpose implements (and I do not believe they make the land plane themselves - it's sourced from a company I've never heard of.)

Just looking for a little advice here before spending more $$$.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I pull a 60 inch Frontier land plane and I believe it is around 500 pounds, give or take a little. It works awesome. Digs in well, flows the gravel very smoothly, and seems to be built very well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ABI Makes Good Stuff

I do not have a ABI land plane, however, I do have a ABI tool for leveling roads, Horse arenas, etc. It is very well made and works quite well also. Based on my experience with that I would not be unhappy with a Land Plane from them. The tool I have is the TR-3 from ABI. I can run circles around the TR-3 with my Box Blade doing roads, but for the finish work, I cannot beat the TR-3. My Box Blade is well made and is very heavy but my little JD 790 pulls both of these with out and effort to speak of. It will level a Horse work out area much better than my box blade ever could.
Leo

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! The ABI salesman suggested I look at the TR-3 videos and that is a really interesting design and great at finishing but I think they quoted it at about $4500. That's a bunch of money :gizmo:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If the ABI has adjustable blades and has scarifers then I think those are nice options to have. I have a frontier 60 inch land plane and love it. Not sure I would pay 1k more though just to have green extra weight or not.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ABI comes standard with scarifiers, a $190 Frontier option. I was wrong about the weight difference, the LP1207 (Frontier ) weighs almost 1,000 pounds compared to 765 for the 7 foot ABI.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I just got a quote today on a frontier 5 foot land plane for 1600.00:gizmo:

Attachments

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
662 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at Road Boss - commercial make a living with it quality but I recall it was mega bucks.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
John, I don’t know if you seen mowjoes comment, but have you checked out Land Pride? They make some really good stuff and the price shouldn’t be that bad. Don’t have a clue about weight.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Just my opinion, but these are the best units made today, period.

And they are out of Texas. :thumbup1gif:
I love the Road Boss equipment. Very well made. I know there same size land plane is 100 pounds heavier than my Frontier. I was scared to get pricing. John, I just looked. They have a utility and commercial grade land plane. Make a 7 footer in both. Their utility 7 foot land plane is 840 pounds. Their commercial grade 7 foot land plane is 1100 pounds. Wow.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
662 Posts
I looked at Road Boss - commercial make a living with it quality but I recall it was mega bucks.

Maybe check on the utility models, not quite as heavy, but still one of the better units available IMO.

The side pan length and height is a big plus IMO, as well as the overall weight and type of construction.. :bigthumb:

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
662 Posts
I love the Road Boss equipment. Very well made. I know there same size land plane is 100 pounds heavier than my Frontier. I was scared to get pricing. John, I just looked. They have a utility and commercial grade land plane. Make a 7 footer in both. Their utility 7 foot land plane is 840 pounds. Their commercial grade 7 foot land plane is 1100 pounds. Wow.
My 7 footer is 1400lbs, but is very old and has even longer side pans. The 5 is about 800lbs if I remember correctly. :good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
new owner of a lp1160

dealer called me Thursday and said he had the lp1160 I was asking about last month in stock and offered to let me have it for 1200:gizmo: it was new but last years model still on pallet and never assembled so today i am the new owner of a frontier land plane :yahoo: used my artillian forks to unload pallet now to get it assembled and and have fun learning out how to use it :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
dealer called me Thursday and said he had the lp1160 I was asking about last month in stock and offered to let me have it for 1200:gizmo: it was new but last years model still on pallet and never assembled so today i am the new owner of a frontier land plane :yahoo: used my artillian forks to unload pallet now to get it assembled and and have fun learning out how to use it :thumbup1gif:
Wait, you got a pallet? :laugh:

54E4263FE44F348118474F9592A29E-vi.jpg

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
johncanfield - what did you end up buying? Just curious as I'm kind of in the market for a driveway maintenance implement myself.

What did you think about the ABI TR3 rake? In spite of the price, did you ever give it any serious consideration?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked at the ABI TR3 and decided it was more of a special purpose implement - raking a horse arena. Still haven't bought a plane but when I do, I'll stick with Frontier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts