Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a serial number off of my jd pull behind brush hog. i am wanting to replace the plastic cover and the u-joints while i have it apart. seems no matter how i enter the serial number nothing comes up to match it:banghead:

here's the serial # KO205003525H--yrs ago when a jd tech was here-he was able to find me the push pull pin for the front yoke for it.

does a dealer have better access to the numbers than us?

jgayman-maybe u can help me out here-as u seem to know the jd parts site in and out-:munch:thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
What model is this brush hog? An MX-5?

Doh! Never mind. It's a 205.

If you just enter "205" into JDParts it comes right up.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its old-:dunno:how old i don't know for sure. it was y uncle's and i bought it off of him yrs ago. it had been hooked to a jd model B he had bought back in the mid 80's.

so i do know the tag said made in Canada--is that any help?

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Doh! Never mind. It's a 205.

If you just enter "205" into JDParts it comes right up.

i will try that-thanks :good2:how did u come to find out it was a 205 model?

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
i will try that-thanks :good2:how did u come to find out it was a 205 model?

I guessed! Well, sort of an educated guess. Deere's serial numbers usually include the model number in them. So I tried KO205 and that didn't work. So I did a Google Search on "Deere KO205" and it came up on several pages mentioning that "KO205" is a model 205. I went back to JDParts and punched in "205" and it comes up in the list (3rd or 4th item) "205 (Integral) and (Pull-Type) Rotary Cutter, Gyramor - PC995".

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
i have a serial number off of my jd pull behind brush hog. i am wanting to replace the plastic cover and the u-joints while i have it apart. seems no matter how i enter the serial number nothing comes up to match it:banghead:

here's the serial # KO205003525H--yrs ago when a jd tech was here-he was able to find me the push pull pin for the front yoke for it.

does a dealer have better access to the numbers than us?

jgayman-maybe u can help me out here-as u seem to know the jd parts site in and out-:munch:thanks
Do you have a photo of the cover and U-joints you want to replace? Is this the plastic cover and U-joints for the driveline (PTO)? I'm not very familiar with brush cutters and I see the parts illustration for the 205 has 25 sections. :)

I see there are four different drive line sections.

DRIVELINE FOR INTEGRAL CUTTER (FOR TRACTOR WITH 1-1/8 INCH PTO) (540 RPM) [A06] - 5
DRIVELINE FOR INTEGRAL CUTTER (FOR TRACTORS WITH 1-3/8 INCH PTO) (540 OR 1000 RPM) [A07] - 6
FRONT DRIVELINE FOR PULL-TYPE CUTTER (540 OR 1000 RPM) [A08] - 7
REAR DRIVELINE AND SUPPORT BEARING FOR PULL-TYPE CUTTER [A09] - 8

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the parts catalog: John Deere Parts Catalog
i was in there-just wouldn't let me see nothing from my serial number. but thanks-ok

I hope you found your glasses. There is a lot of reading material for you, Jim.
:hide::lolol:
ok-so i went to the parts catalog and it does not show the same drive line like is on mine. :banghead::dunno:

here's some pics

see the yellow circle i drew-well in the parts catalog i can not find anything with that metal cover on like mine is-what am i doing wrong? thanks:thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
here's some pics
see the yellow circle i drew-well in the parts catalog i can not find anything with that metal cover on like mine is-what am i doing wrong? thanks:thumbup1gif:
It might help if we could see what is under that cover. In the meantime I found two parts that seem to match up to your two sections, at least what is visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It might help if we could see what is under that cover. In the meantime I found two parts that seem to match up to your two sections, at least what is visible.
to be honest i have never had that metal cover off since i've owned it. i can grease the u-joint thru a hole on top.

so what or i should say which line did u find that info at? same page as someone else posted? i thought i had gone thru all the lines--but i will go back and look again. at least u made more progress than i did.

i have no idea what size the u-joints are--as i never have measured them before--it says about the 1 inch and a 1-8 th size
maybe they mean the size of square tubing of shaft?

Friday i'm gonna pull it up to garage-unhook it and start taking it apart. wanted to get parts ordered first if possible.:dunno:

i have to know what yr cutter is-so how do i find that out from the serial number--KO205003525H--thanks

i have been studying the parts site and learning how ot tell things apart. heck i can buy just about anything for it yet. and i'm thinking jeepers jsut how old is it?

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
so what or i should say which line did u find that info at? same page as someone else posted? i thought i had gone thru all the lines--but i will go back and look again. at least u made more progress than i did.
The cover section was located here:

The front section of the PTO shaft was located here (I assume you have the 1-1/8 540 shaft).

DRIVELINE FOR INTEGRAL CUTTER (FOR TRACTOR WITH 1-1/8 INCH PTO) (540 RPM) [A06] - 5

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
The cover section was located here:

The front section of the PTO shaft was located here (I assume you have the 1-1/8 540 shaft).

I think his PTO shaft on a JD 50 should be 1 3/8".

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
They show a 1-3/8 (540/1000) PTO as well.

DRIVELINE FOR INTEGRAL CUTTER (FOR TRACTORS WITH 1-3/8 INCH PTO) (540 OR 1000 RPM) [A07] - 6

Attachments

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:thumbup1gif:yelp-

They show a 1-3/8 (540/1000) PTO as well.

i haven't walked out to the shed to measure it for sure-but it is a square shaft-so..............i'm hoping it is...

gonna stop at jd today after my appt at sleep dr. they are gonna love me so much:gizmo: 3 sets of plastic covers to get-well just 2 pieces for the RFM-but need the whole set up for the lx4-as i put the pipes and one end somewhere several yrs ago-and now they are nowhere to be found:dunno:
:hide: i probably threw them away or burned them-as i remember fondly trying to try to piece them back together that one day-till i gave up-and set them aside.

agri-supplys seem way too easy to take apart than Frontier's and JD's.:nunu:

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
i haven't walked out to the shed to measure it for sure-but it is a square shaft-so..............i'm hoping it is...
According to the parts illustration both PTO sizes look like square shaft.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Jim, I believe that the 1 3/8 reference in jgayman's post is the PTO shaft on the tractor. Don't forget to take the serial number of the mower with you when you go to the dealer.

If that is a 205 Gyramor, I think it would have had metal shields on it originally.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jim, I believe that the 1 3/8 reference in jgayman's post is the PTO shaft on the tractor. Don't forget to take the serial number of the mower with you when you go to the dealer.

If that is a 205 Gyramor, I think it would have had metal shields on it originally.
I stopped at jd this afternoon--couldn't get to the 2 fellas behind the parts counter who over the yrs has been my best help with this old stuff-nope--the young fella just happened to be empty:banghead:

first i gave him my serial number which i thought was good--but he said ahh-no good #-so i told him to enter for a 205 cutter---he got all confused with the 3 different types of it. so he swung the screen around and we picked from the pics-way different screen than what we see-for sure.

got down to the different size drive lines--and he was on the 1000 one-i said nope its a 540 one--i told him when i was looking it had pre-1970-and after 1970--that didn't seem to matter to him for some reason:dunno: i said i think i should go back home and see if i maybe made a mistake on serial number by chance---nah

so he ordered it but as i was driving home i remembered he forgot to order the front bell-so....................almost over $200 for just the plastic and one u-joint:banghead:

the lx4-is around the same price too:banghead:

the frontier i only need the male and female tube part--but for the mere price of $55--i can get the whole thing--so...........the good thing about that is..........if i get good and pee-owed at that lousy bells--i can take the hacksaw to that one and not feel bad:nunu::laugh:

hint of the day: if u ever get paperwork installed or i should say taped to ur new driveline-make sure u put it away in ur binder along with ur manuals-so later on 10 yrs or so-u know how to undone these lousy plastic covers on the driveline's.:munch:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts