Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know I had to buy new laptop the other day, had it working 99% and did something and lost everything.
Had to do a reimage so lost everything except for a few things. Thankfully I had done a history backup or what ever it is called.

So after getting my email going , looking for my contacts.
Friday or Saturday when I opened Mail (micronot is not using Live Mail..) People (app)was located in the bottom of the Mail opened app.

Opened Mail this evening, nope People (app)wasn't and still isn't located in the opened Mail app.

So how can People (app) be added or attached to Mail.

I can find no where on how to import or export anything to the People app..old contact files.

Did find that these files are in the Outlook account if I have a Micronot account. Have one signed in and now have my contacts or People contacts.

Don't have Outlook on the new pc...

So My questions are mainly where in the H are these hidden in the hard drive, What is the file name and how do you import them into the People app.

Hope this makes sense...

Help!!!! Please

Thanks in advance for any info ..
Gene

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts
Was looking around, just for the heck of it, I didn't upgrade for Win 8.1 to Win 10 (Thank goodness!!!)

This is what one article said:
Depending on where else you store your contacts in the cloud, you may be able to move them to People with very little work.
(If you store them locally, you’ll have to move them to a cloud service first.)

Here is the address of the whole article from PC World:

How to manage Windows 10's People app | PCWorld

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I use Windows 10 but have never used the People or Mail apps. I gave up on Microsoft for mail when they did away with Outlook Express. I'd recommend getting a gmail account since you're starting with a new computer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Windows 10 but have never used the People or Mail apps. I gave up on Microsoft for mail when they did away with Outlook Express. I'd recommend getting a gmail account since you're starting with a new computer. Good luck.
I have a email account with Frontier,, I just don't like using Yahoo for the browser.. that is the reason for using some type program.

About 30 mins after posting this question found a https://outlook.live.com/ Will do some more reading this app and see if I can find what I'm looking for.:dunno: I don't use cloud or any other type program to save my files. the only place I save them is locally. At least what I'm thinking is locally , with outlook and possibly what ever program I using maybe on the web. Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a email account with Frontier,, I just don't like using Yahoo for the browser.. that is the reason for using some type program.

About 30 mins after posting this question found this outlook.live.com

Will do some more reading this app and see if I can find what I'm looking for.:dunno: I don't use cloud or any other type program to save my files.

the only place I save them is locally. At least what I'm thinking is locally , with outlook and possibly what ever program I using maybe on the web.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
Yes.

Mrs. C had always used outlook express back in the day - then it was "mail" or something like that. I remember trying to get it to all work when I upgraded our computers to Windows 10. Gave up and set her up with a gmail account. The hardest part is to get her to change her usual ways - but once she got used to gmail she is doing fine with it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yes.

Mrs. C had always used outlook express back in the day - then it was "mail" or something like that. I remember trying to get it to all work when I upgraded our computers to Windows 10. Gave up and set her up with a gmail account. The hardest part is to get her to change her usual ways - but once she got used to gmail she is doing fine with it.
Yeah, I got tired of every time I changed computers or operating systems my mail program and contacts had to be re-setup. I don't like using "the cloud" (I run my own "cloud" for most things) but they made a believer out of me on email. With gmail I can go to any computer and log in to my account and my mail, contacts, and calendar are all there and look the same on any computer without me doing anything. I can even access it on my Iphone, which mail and contacts are not a big deal to me there but I do like being able to look at my calendar when away from the computer.

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
Yeah, I got tired of every time I changed computers or operating systems my mail program and contacts had to be re-setup. I don't like using "the cloud" (I run my own "cloud" for most things) but they made a believer out of me on email. With gmail I can go to any computer and log in to my account and my mail, contacts, and calendar are all there and look the same on any computer without me doing anything. I can even access it on my Iphone, which mail and contacts are not a big deal to me there but I do like being able to look at my calendar when away from the computer.
That is one of the reasons I got an iPod (no cell service here so no need for a cell phone). We get so many appointments with doctors and such I need to be able to view my calendar when making appointments. Also doesn't hurt if waiting for an important email as there is free WiFi all over the place.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
That is one of the reasons I got an iPod (no cell service here so no need for a cell phone). We get so many appointments with doctors and such I need to be able to view my calendar when making appointments. Also doesn't hurt if waiting for an important email as there is free WiFi all over the place.
I'm not one to use free Wi-Fi. To much of a risk for my tastes.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with Windows Live Mail! I use Gmail too, but usually only for sharing large video files.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts
I'm not one to use free Wi-Fi. To much of a risk for my tastes.
Well from what I been reading, matters not, about every government agency is listening in anyway. :spy:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was OK with the upgrade from 8 to windows 10.. Had no problems or issues...

Came home today and first thing I see is a picture of something and nothing else. no sign screen nothing...
I was just about ready to throw the PC across the room and head for the store where I bought the laptop.

Moved my mouse and Log on screen What I changed the setting that no sign on to pc after restart..

Took a deep breath and thinking OK what is the password tried Admin admin 1234 finally tried my Microsoft password.. How I remembered it have no clue..

Yep pc starts to load.

Now trying to getting rid of not needing to sign on at restart..:banghead::banghead:

Still haven't taken time to look at Outlook People to see what I may find concerning the location of my contacts.

Thanks for all the comments..

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts
I was OK with the upgrade from 8 to windows 10.. Had no problems or issues...

Came home today and first thing I see is a picture of something and nothing else. no sign screen nothing...
I was just about ready to throw the PC across the room and head for the store where I bought the laptop.

Moved my mouse and Log on screen What I changed the setting that no sign on to pc after restart..

Took a deep breath and thinking OK what is the password tried Admin admin 1234 finally tried my Microsoft password.. How I remembered it have no clue..

Yep pc starts to load.

Now trying to getting rid of not needing to sign on at restart..:banghead::banghead:

Still haven't taken time to look at Outlook People to see what I may find concerning the location of my contacts.

Thanks for all the comments..
Well Win 8.1, if I can have my way, will be the last "Microcrap" operating system I'll use.
In my opinion they did some really underhanded and down right unethical things in pushing Win 10.

Microcrap strategy, spelled out many years ago, was to start "herding" people into turning their home computers into dumb terminals
where about everything is done/stored on "The cloud" and what we used to call "Mainframes", next to nothing done
local (on your computer/dumb terminal).

Have read recent articles where Win "whatever" after Win 10 will really make a hard move in that direction.

Started , back in the day, with DEC VMS, Unix, MSDos, Win etc., etc., so figure Linux can't be that hard to learn.........:dunno:

:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts