Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am about to buy a 2018 1025R TLB. Wondering what options I should get or have thrown in with the bundle. Not sure if there are certian things that are "must haves" on this tractor or attachment wise. Thanks!!

What I am thinking of getting is as follows;
2018 1025R TLB with R3 tires
54" Auto connect mower deck
47 In. Quick-Hitch Two-Stage Snow Blower
647 Rotary Tiller

Primary use right away will be for putting in landscaping beds and trees at the house we just built. I have a ton of rocks/mini boulders that I will be moving around. Then do some brush clearing and yard prep to finish installing the last 2/3rds of the 2.25 acre lot for a lawn. Once the lawn is in then the primary function will be for mowing the lawn.

Neil

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you're moving a "ton of rocks and boulders" you need a ballast box for certain or some other form of rear weight. Educate yourself on ballast and front end loader work. It is very easy to get in to trouble with improper ballast.

Good luck and have fun!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Be sure to have them "throw in" an electronic copy of the tractor service manual and the attachments service manual.

If money is no object, you've come to the right place. The guys that hang out here are professionals at spending other people's money!

If you're financing and taking advantage of the 0%, you may want to think about an MCS20 as you live in leaf country.

The only cab that you can roll into the 0% is the Mauser, which isn't backhoe compatible. (Items financed with 0% have to be sold by JD.) Having a cab is like having a home with central A/C, once you have it, you'll never be without it.

Depending on how physically fit you are, you may want to think about an imatch. It'll make hooking up the 647 much easier. I don't have one and really don't find it to difficult as I have my 647 on a storage cart with casters, So, I can just roll it up to the 3-point. None the less, others here say it is worth the money. Others suggest the Harbor Freight version which is about $80 with their 20% off coupon.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A grapple is real handy for moving large rocks or boulders. I have the Everything Attachments listed in my signature. A set of pallet forks will also be a must.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Hi, I am about to buy a 2018 1025R TLB. Wondering what options I should get or have thrown in with the bundle. Not sure if there are certian things that are "must haves" on this tractor or attachment wise. Thanks!!

What I am thinking of getting is as follows;
2018 1025R TLB with R3 tires
54" Auto connect mower deck I would do a 60" mmm with auto connect. Less chance of hitting the ROPS lights when mowing with the wider deck.
47 In. Quick-Hitch Two-Stage Snow Blower I would do the 50". With the 47", you will drive on the snow when turning.
647 Rotary Tiller

Primary use right away will be for putting in landscaping beds and trees at the house we just built. I have a ton of rocks/mini boulders that I will be moving around. Then do some brush clearing and yard prep to finish installing the last 2/3rds of the 2.25 acre lot for a lawn. Once the lawn is in then the primary function will be for mowing the lawn.

Neil
Consider an I Match 3 point quick hitch and Ballast box (or if your budget will let you, the Heavy Hitch rear weight bar with 40 lb. suitcase weights is nicer than the JD ballast box but then you have to access about 12 - 40 lb. suitcase weights).
You could also consider a 54" blade for those snows that are not snowblower depth. You will already have the front hitch, all you will need to add is the power angle cylinder. The 54" blade mounts to the same front hitch as the snowblower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my 1025R last year to do some work on 3 acres similar to what you're doing. Mine's wooded, though, and instead of hauling boulders I'm moving stumps and logs.

Anyway, here's my $0.02. The iMatch (or something similar, you can get them cheaper other places) is handy as can be if you're doing much on/off with implements. I'm also a fan of the 60" deck vs. 54". Having that little bit that sticks out lets me get a bit closer to things and maneuver into some spots I wouldn't be able to with a 54".

Since getting mine, I've added a rock/landscaping rake, disk, and getting ready to get a rear blade. I'm fortunate that dad has a 2305, so I can borrow his implements (tiller, spreader, sprayer, roller). The backhoe likely won't make that as handy, unless you install the backhoe only when you need it. Depending on how the market for used equipment is in your area, you might find some nice deals on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or other classifieds/sales places. I've gotten some nice equipment pretty cheap vs. new. The only issues I've ran into is making sure it's compatible with my iMatch.

If you're going to do a lot of lifting, you're going to want some rear ballast. I had been doing it without but quickly learned the perils of doing so. I'm using the disk for now, but plan on getting a ballast box (leaning toward the Titan since it has a receiver built in) due to working in the confines of the woods. If you're getting the backhoe, that should suffice. If you're doing much with implements, you might look at something that's got some weight.

The very first thing I did when I got mine was to flip the ROPS lights to put them on the inside. I've been glad I did several times due to limbs and such. Not sure how the 2018s are set up, but it was an easy mod on mine. Since I've added some LED lighting to make up for the lack of lighting on the tractor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Everyone has great ideas on here.

If your going to get the 47" blower I would advise getting the 54". The reason is covering your wheel base. My 54" seems to cover everything where a 47" with a lot of snow would have some issues I think. :gizmo:

I have the Tractor Supply Tarter tiller 4' ($1100) and works great. The forks people mention are a must. I got a set of Titan and they work great and didn't cost very much 42". :greentractorride:

I was going with the 60" deck but found out it would be a tight fit into my shed so if you don't have wide car doors think of this.

As most have said you will need a ballast box of some type no matter what anyone says. Trust me its not fun looking down at the ground with your butt up in the air wondering how did that happen.:mocking:

The bolt on hooks are great and cheap.

As one guy on here said we sure can help you spend your money as I am always adding to my tractor with stuff I really don't need.. .. but then again I really didn't need the tractor but I love it!!!!:greentractorride:

·
Registered
92 Posts
-Well I would recommend that you get all of the hydraulic set up that you can... you may want a back hoe later or hyd chute control on a rear mounted snowblower (even knowing your going after a frt mt blower). By having all of the hyd installed going after any implement becomes much less of a pain.

-set of pallet forks , then a grapple
-Imatch hitch
-rear ballast (Heavy hitch and 42 lb weights my preference)
-independent mower lift
-R-3 tires
-Rim gaurd in tires

these are the items I suggest

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
It's your $$, spend wisely

I have only a bit over 300hrs on my 2016 1025R with factory frt loader and BH.
Absolutely:
Get the IMatch quick hitch
The 647 tiller - with the quick hitch you can just back up to hook it up or unload it.
The backhoe can easily be unhooked. With a BH dolly it takes about 7 minutes to remove or install the BH.
You get Power Beyond with the BH.
Get Fit-Rite Hydraulics Top n Tilt kit if you get any kind of blade box, land plane, rake, blade or 3pt tool. It's great for tiller use, too.

The 54" mower can scalp. I think the 60" could easily be worse. Maybe you want a dedicated mower? It depends on how nice you want your lawn. I wonder for two reasons: real mowers seldom scalp and they give a better cut while weighing less so you won't worry about ruts when the turf is damp. I use my DR Mower when it's wet to avoid the 1500 lb 1025r compacting the soil and leaving ruts.

I don't have snow, so can't offer experience on that with a 1025R.

Be sure to get your military discount if you qualify.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
There is a lot mentioned here that are all good. I have one thing to add...get a bank with lots of money in that can be called yours! :gizmo:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My only suggestion, for what you’ll be doing get the r4 tires, you want traction for moving dirt, pulling a tiller, etc.

Lawn damage is a non-issue, I’d pay someone a $1000 if they could find one r4 tire mark on my yard.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Since he mentioned it was a TLB he is getting, that is Tractor/Loader/Backhoe. So he will already have ballast as in the hoe hanging off the back. I would also recommend forks and a toothbar for the front bucket. Also get the bigger front bucket, I think it's 52" or so instead of the 49".

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Also, make sure they include an extra key. The black encapsulated keys are for standard performance and a red encapsulated key unlocks the high performance curve. :bad:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Also, make sure they include an extra key. The black encapsulated keys are for standard performance and a red encapsulated key unlocks the high performance curve. :bad:
The red key has the chip that advances the ignition timing, or so I’ve heard....

:read:knownothing::munch:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The red key has the chip that advances the ignition timing, or so I’ve heard....

:read:knownothing::munch:
That is the way it works on the Hellcat.....

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
:hi: you got to get a set of kens bolt on hooks they come in handy for a lot of things :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
2,259 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to suggest fuzzy dice to hang from the ROPS. :thumbup1gif:

Get a differential lock pedal from Ken's Bolt On Hooks, and Edge Tamers from R2 Manufacturing. Invaluable.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Since he mentioned it was a TLB he is getting, that is Tractor/Loader/Backhoe. So he will already have ballast as in the hoe hanging off the back. I would also recommend forks and a toothbar for the front bucket. Also get the bigger front bucket, I think it's 52" or so instead of the 49".
This^^ :cheers:If you put the BH on you can skip the Ballast Box...The FEL is 53" make sure you check, my dealer slipped a 49" on and I never noticed. It is fine for moving material but not ideal for snow (Too narrow)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts