Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased two acres behind my house that I am going to use for large food plots and other recreational use. I'm thinking about purchasing a 1026r with a h120 loader, 60 inch mmm (auto connect):hi:, and 647 tiller. The JD salesman gave me a quote of $18,000 for it. thats after all the promotions. He also said I could save some money by purchasing the h120 loader with the pin on bucket. Any pros or cons to a pin on bucket besides taking it on and off? I will not need to take the bucket off for any pallet forks or snowblower. And do you sirs out there recommend the imatch for the 647 tiller? I would appreciate any suggestions and/or advise.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
First off :wgtt:

Second, I would recommend the quick tach bucket.. Sometimes its just as handy to drop the bucket and leave the rest of the loader on.

Third, I would price out this option... Tractor/loader/MMM. Pick up a 4' King Kutter tiller ($1500ish), and use the extra money saved from the 647 for pallet forks. Looks like a KK tiller is right at $1K cheaper than a 647.

Also, a quick hitch is very handy to have. Should you go with the KK tiller or any other brand, the I-match might not hook up. I have a Harbor Freight quick hitch and works with my KK tiller. :good2:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
welcome porkchop!

newt is right...save yourself some money and grab a king kutter/country line tiller at Tractor supply. It is a very well built 6 tine/ gear driven tiller.I saw a 4 ft today for 1399.oo. They invariably will have a spring sale soon which usually drops the price about 100.00. The John Deere quicktach is now adjustable and should fit up to the KK tiller now vs the older version. Personally I think you'll regret getting a pin on bucket. Needs change....and once you get your tractor, you'll see what a huge time saver it is. You'll be looking at what else you can use the tractor for...such as maybe a grapple on the front for picking up all that underbrush, or forks to unload heavy things out of a truck....moving implements around,man cage hoist ,etc. A tractor is nothing more than an expensive atv without implements. dont limit yourself for a 2-3 dollars a month savings. and...taking off the bucket is super quick and easy. no muscle needed. I've swapped from bucket to forks in less than a minute....and thats taking my time
Randy

oh man...now i'm all excited. I gotta go fondle my deere some

edit to add this: to show the tiller and front bucket dropped

well....just got thru tilling my garden... heres a kk tiller in action...sort of
Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Soil Tree

and another showing the results a little better :
Sky Sunlight Grass Morning Light

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
That's a good price as I paid the same for my 2011 without the 647 Tiller. The County Line/King Kutter tiller is worth the savings in money in my opinion also. I also went with the H120 and then a set of pallet forks. When it all started, my buying the tractor, I thought the same thing you do about pallet forks, but now wouldn't be without them. All summer and fall my bucket was just in the way as my pallet forks were on and used for everything. Their uses seem almost never ending! Artillian has the best set when it comes to pallet forks for our tractors. I'm not sure what your 2 acres are like, but my back acre was pretty overgrown with saplings and tall grass. A rough cut mower was the best way to knock it down. County Line has a 4' model and I'm really happy with it for the money. It was $749.00 on sale last summer. Nice and heavy, only downside is that it's not quick hitch compatible. Does a great job clearing overgrowth! It was way cheaper than the Frontier model. You'll love the tractor!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't know you could get an H120 loader with a pin on bucket.

In any case, my suggestion is to get the quick attach/detach bucket. Spend a little extra now, save a lot of headaches later.

Reactions: porkchop

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I will spend the extra two hundred dollars and get the quick tach bucket and also look into kk tillers. This is all new to me!

By the way, my new property is a cleared off corn field.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
4' no problems. Many with 2210, 2305, 1023 and 1026r have the 4'ers. I used to have a 2210 which is less HP than the 1026 and did run my 5' KK tiller. I couldnt till full depth, and it worked the puddin outta the tractor. Stay with a 4' and youll be fine. :good2:

My 5' on my 2520

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Automotive tire

Vehicle Agricultural machinery Tractor Soil Grass

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Oh man, be careful Porkchop. This whole thing starts with a 1026 or 1023 with a loader. Maybe a MMM or something to hang off the back end. You tend to justify more "useful" implements, and next thing you know your yard is full and the bank account is empty. Not only that but your wife begins to accuse you of "fondling" your tractor, imagine that! You think you have it under control, you think you don't need to have any more, all of a sudden you are in the farm store looking at a landscape rake or a set of forks, or anything tractor related. I tell you, it is difficult. Not only that, you find yourself saying, "Honey, I'm just going outside for a few minutes". You have nothing to do, the tractor work is done, but you have a need to hear the rattle of the diesel so you just start her up and smile. You might even sneek her out to the back acres, "just to test the steering", what's that?? Trust me, your friends and family know better, you have a problem.

Hi, my name is Doug and I'm a Deere-aholic. :drinks:

Welcome, you will find help here for sure!! :empathy3:

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
My wife calls it 'the GREEN disease' . . . :nunu:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome Porkchop! When I purchased my 1026 I went with the D120 pin on loader and thought I would be saving money. Well, I should have done the H120 loader with the quick attach bucket. I am actually in the process of installing the quick attach arms to the D120 loader and quick attach pins and brackets to my bucket so it will be a quick connect system like the H120. So go with the H120 quick attach system.

Reactions: porkchop

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes its the h120 with a pin on bucket but auto connect arms to the tractor. How does the middle buster work on the 1026r? I was thinking about getting a plow/disc over a tiller. And suggestions????????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reference the KK tiller i did some research and yes it is about $400-500 cheaper than the 647 tiller. I heard that TSC products are like the walmart brand compared to the deere and landpride products. Not trying to upset anybody but thats what someone told me.

It was suggested because the availability of parts down the road. Again not trying to question anybodies advice, or dis walmart.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I wouldn't say "Wal-Mart" grade. If anything it'd be homeowner grade versus John Deere being Commercial grade. My County Line mower is just a King Kutter with TSC paint on it. It's not as nice as the J.D. or Frontier, but it's also 1/2 the price. It says Made in the USA on it. The design could be better, don't get me wrong, but as I only use once a month I don't feel the need to spend double on the Frontier. Now before I bought my TSC mower I looked for an actual John Deere brand 4' mower, but they just aren't for sale around here. I wanted the John Deere mower as the Frontier was just a "house brand" to me. I wanted the decal and because I like the MX4 and the way it looked. Me personally would have spent a couple hundred extra for an actual JD mower even if it was used. The 647 is probably a great tiller, but I believe its chain drive where the King Kutter 4' is gear drive.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Reference the KK tiller i did some research and yes it is about $400-500 cheaper than the 647 tiller.

KK tillers must be more expensive where you are then. Looking at local stores vs Deere's web site showed me $950-1000 difference.

I heard that TSC products are like the walmart brand compared to the deere and landpride products. Not trying to upset anybody but thats what someone told me.

Id have to disagree with that. I would put my 2003 tiller up against any other brand new tiller on the market today. And mine has had its fair share of use since new.

It was suggested because the availability of parts down the road.

Yea, there are no "King Kutter" dealers around, but several places sell them, plus you can always go to their website. I have yet to encounter a problem with mine, and havent heard anyone else with problems other than the paint quality.

Again not trying to question anybodies advice, or dis walmart.

No problems here, Im just trying to help you spend your money wiser from my experence.
:good2:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have never heard of anyone having problems with the KK tiller and I have read many forums for along time....and way too much time online. much to the chagrin of mi esposa. Paint quality...yes.But....the first time you use any tiller,your gonna lose some paint.
I would have liked to get a JD tiller too....just for the cool factor. But I'm really glad I was cheap in this instance ( I usually buy the biggest,baddest, most expensive stuff when it comes to tools). The reason being, I only use my tiller a few times a year. I till just under a half of an acre (big big garden) and make my rows wide enough to make a pass down through them a few times a year (I'm lazy when it comes to weeding). I doubt my grandson will be able to wear this thing out. There is nothing proprietary on this tiller...you should be able to find any of the parts...gears ,gearbox ,driveshaft,clutch etc in any farm store. The tines may be the only thing that could be proprietary...not sure.

I have used the tiller at our hunting lease for the last 2 years as well,putting in food plots. I beat the heck out of it running it in roots, iron ore clay soil,etc...it didnt phase it. But...if you really want a JD tiller...you definitely wont be sorry either

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you've got the money more power to you and get the JD. One thing I will say. The longer you own your tractor and the more time you spend on this site the more attachments you'll want. I remember when I had plan.. :lol: The close to a $1,000 difference will buy you a set of forks from Artillian.. Or a rough cut mower from TSC, or a cool 3 point spreader to help seed and fertilize that ground. Have you also thought about what you'll use as ballest for your loader? If you want metal weights it'll be close to a buck a pound maybe more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.