Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I had mentioned in a few other threads, I have been building a blast cabinet, or "sandblast" cabinet even though "sand" is rarely if ever used anymore. There is A LOT of pictures-sorry to bore you all:laugh:

All that is left is to get a short 8" air hose made, and install the latches on the funnel door-I am waiting on them from McMaster Carr.

The cabinet is 4' wide and 2' deep. All the 1/2" ply is from shipping crates at work, all the 1 1/2 steel tubing was a "find" also, as well as many other things I have been collecting for years. I bought the Build Your Own kit from TP Tools for all the important components.

Please enjoy: http://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/Blaster#

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The pictures read like an epic novel. :munch: Great job! :good2:

Jealous.

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
WOW Ken, great job. You will get lots of use out of it. I use my all the time. You do have a couple design ideas I will be interested in how they turn out for you in the long run. Thanks for the detailed photos.

Reactions: BigJim55 and tj1

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW Ken, great job. You will get lots of use out of it. I use my all the time. You do have a couple design ideas I will be interested in how they turn out for you in the long run. Thanks for the detailed photos.
Thanks Randy:thumbup1gif:

What "design ideas" are you reffering to?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks Randy:thumbup1gif:

What "design ideas" are you reffering to?
The use of wood as a cabinet is definetly different. Be careful where you aim the gun. The supports for your wire may see the worst of it. Can you line them with sheet metal?

Your vacuum set up is definetly non-conventional. I kinda like it. You will be surprized at how much abrasive gets sucked out of the cabinet. I have a reclaimer between my cabinet and vacuum and still have to clean out the vacuum more than you'd expect.

Make sure you use the plastic on the inside of the window or you will be replacing the glass all the time. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: tj1

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The use of wood as a cabinet is definetly different. Be careful where you aim the gun. The supports for your wire may see the worst of it. Can you line them with sheet metal?
It's really not that unusual. Do a Google search for "blast cabinet plans" and/or "homemade blast cabinet" and you will see plenty of them. The kit from TP recommends using it also. Sheet metal on the grid would be easy if it proves to be a problem...time will tell.

Your vacuum set up is definetly non-conventional. I kinda like it. You will be surprized at how much abrasive gets sucked out of the cabinet. I have a reclaimer between my cabinet and vacuum and still have to clean out the vacuum more than you'd expect.
This will be a learning curve for sure. I talked to the guy that designed my cyclone, and he said it was good for this application-but I do have LOTS of airflow, probably to much I'd guess. I can open other blast gates in the shop to help reduce/regulate the suction in the cabinet. My theory is with the inlets at the bottom, and the suction at the top I will get maximum dust removal but who knows? Time will tell about this also.

Where is the inlet vs. outlet on your cabinet? Do you know the CFM of the vac?

Make sure you use the plastic on the inside of the window or you will be replacing the glass all the time. Just my 2 cents.
The glass came with one protector installed, and I bought 3 extra's while they had them on sale this month, so I am covered. I also got the sifter and bolt basket since they where on sale also.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It's really not that unusual. Do a Google search for "blast cabinet plans" and/or "homemade blast cabinet" and you will see plenty of them. The kit from TP recommends using it also. Sheet metal on the grid would be easy if it proves to be a problem...time will tell.
Guess I just hadn't looked into homemade cabinets. Seems the abrasive would be hard on the wood.

This will be a learning curve for sure. I talked to the guy that designed my cyclone, and he said it was good for this application-but I do have LOTS of airflow, probably to much I'd guess. I can open other blast gates in the shop to help reduce/regulate the suction in the cabinet. My theory is with the inlets at the bottom, and the suction at the top I will get maximum dust removal but who knows? Time will tell about this also.

Where is the inlet vs. outlet on your cabinet? Do you know the CFM of the vac?
My cabinet is a TP Tools 960-Pro. It has the air inlet at the back right with the flow throught the cabinet and exhausting on the left end.
http://www.tptools.com/p/868,53_960-Pro-Blaster-RH-Door-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet.html

Not sure of CFM, but the vac is a DC-176. I had to upgrade from the VAC-35
http://www.tptools.com/p/39,52_176-DC-Insider-Dust-Collector.html

My set up also has a reclaimer between the cabinet and vacuum. I custom made the bracket for that, didn't like their idea. I then vent from the vacuum to the outside. You will get a lot of use out of this. I use mine all the time. I've had this unit for 15 years already.

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works!

I finally got the latches I was waiting for and installed them tonight. Loaded the media and started blasting-everything worked perfectly! I updated the album with 6 new pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I had no doubts. You will love it.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hey, I just reviewed your new pics and have to comment on a couple of things.

First, your ground wire, I assume it is to help control static electricity. I currently do not have one and have not really noticed any problems with static.

Second, you added a blow gun to your cabinet in addition to your blast gun. I have a little trick that eliminates the need for the extra blow gun. I just disconnect the abrasive supply tube to the blast gun temporarily, instant blow gun.

Also, another tip, sometimes when the cabinet sits for a long period of time the media can settle and become semi-hard. Thus allowing the media to not feed well. I disconnect the media supply tube and blow air back down it.

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
Yep, Kenny did a great job making his new toy. When are you going to build your own powder coating oven Kenny?

Hey, I just reviewed your new pics and have to comment on a couple of things.

First, your ground wire, I assume it is to help control static electricity. I currently do not have one and have not really noticed any problems with static.

Without looking at the specs of what you bought, I'm ASSuming it's all metal and essentially self grounding.

Second, you added a blow gun to your cabinet in addition to your blast gun. I have a little trick that eliminates the need for the extra blow gun. I just disconnect the abrasive supply tube to the blast gun temporarily, instant blow gun.

Blow guns are cheap, and I know I'd do the same thing as I hate fiddling around connecting/disconnecting things if I don't have too, especially with gloves on. I'm lazy. :)

Also, another tip, sometimes when the cabinet sits for a long period of time the media can settle and become semi-hard. Thus allowing the media to not feed well. I disconnect the media supply tube and blow air back down it.

Good idea that I hadn't thought of since I don't own a blast cabinet.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
MJN, you are correct my cabinet is metal, didn't even give it a thought. And Kenny always does nice work.

However, the additional blow gun in the cabinet I would think I would find a nuisance. Particularly with the larger items. Large items are a PITA as it is. And as far as disconnecting the feed tube, it pops on and off with out any effort. But hey, I am funny that way.

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to ground it based on this: http://www.tptools.com/p/262,18_Skat-Blast-Anti-Static-Kit.html I had no real data to go by, but tapping the whole and adding some wire and two spring clips was to easy not to do it.

The second blow gun idea also came from TP: http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=257 and it cost me half that...The hole is already in the cabinet, and the hose slides through the hole easily so I can just push it through and get it out of the way easily.

Great tip to break up the media, thanks!

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After many questions on "How does it work?", I taped my iPhone to the glass and took a video for all to see for themselves. I added it to the album.

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, Kenny did a great job making his new toy. When are you going to build your own powder coating oven Kenny?
One thing at a time Matt:wink: If I don't finish the entertainment center I started 4 years ago before I start another project I will need to find another place to live anyway...so I have been told.

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
Well, if the wife puts you in the doghouse (shop) for not finishing the entertainment center; would that so terrible a punishment? :laugh:

Thanks for posting the video. Can you get a wider pattern on your gun to cover more area quickly, or would that deplete your air compressor too fast?

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, if the wife puts you in the doghouse (shop) for not finishing the entertainment center; would that so terrible a punishment? :laugh:

Thanks for posting the video. Can you get a wider pattern on your gun to cover more area quickly, or would that deplete your air compressor too fast?
I don't think you can make a wider pattern...

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Follow-up 10-12-11

I have been using the cabinet A LOT lately, and I have been having one major problem-the media was not sliding down the chute real well and sticking to the sides lately, then the pickup tube would run dry. After about 5 minutes of blasting I would have to open the door and push the media back towards the pickup tube.

So after looking at options/solutions, I found TP sells a "Shaker" to help settle the media to the bottom of the chute: http://www.tptools.com/p/250,47_Abrasive-Shaker.html So one night I decided to Google "vibrator motor" (yes, I got some interesting hits with that:laugh:) and found that Grainger sells virtually the same motor for almost 1/2 the price: 2PUX4 so I bought it from them and mounted it on the rear of the cabinet.

When I removed the media to mount the motor, I realized how much like powder it was, and no longer like granules of sand. That I believe was the real problem all along, but the motor was bought and paid for...

Moral of the story: Don't be a cheap a** and buy new media often!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts