Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my sister passed, when we would visit her for Christmas,,,
she made me pick up one of these,,,

She was the only one in the family that could cook it,, and make it edible,,, :flag_of_truce:

The guy that makes those hams is close enough that I can ride over,
and select one that is still hanging in the barn.

My wife is a great cook,, but, she can not prepare a cured ham,,,:dunno:

So,, maybe we need a new special food for Christmas,,

What is your "Must Have" part of Christmas dinner??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great thread idea :bigthumb:

Two things

1. Home made noodles (mom's secret), the way she makes them they're honestly more like dumplings in the shape of noodles. They're made from scratch and rolled by hand. She is the only person in the family that can make them, she won't share the recipe. She's so secretive about the ingredients, she'll get up in the middle of the night to make them so no one can take notes. Both my brothers and I have been trying to get the recipe/help her make them for as long as I can remember, no such luck. I honestly think it's something she will put in her will, just to one of us so that it stays a family secret.
  2. Hand made nut rolls. I'm sure there are other names for this pastry, but we've always called them nut rolls. It's a mixture of chopped walnuts, brown sugar and butter wrapped in a light/flakey/buttery flour crust with a sprinkle of sugar on top. Making them is/has always been a family affair. Most recently it's been 3 generations of the family standing around the dining room table in an assembly line making them, usually about 500 a year, which get handed out to neighbors and friends with the exception of several that get held back for enjoying Christmas morning with coffee while opening presents..Pretty cool tradition.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Several years ago my wife and I made one of our own traditions with the start to the day. I make a breakfast casserole, shredded potatoes seasoned to taste on the bottom, topped with browned breakfast sausage and whisked eggs poured over the top, then topped with cheddar cheese. The girls love it and therefore it is made a handful of times throughout the year but that is how we have started our Christmas for the last, I think, 8 or 10 years. The best part is it takes an hour to cook and we all know the gifts can't wait for the kids, so gifts first while it cooks and then breakfast. For dinner we are not usually home so that is why we started our "Christmas breakfast" tradition. :good2:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Yorkshire pudding and Xmas log known as Buche de Noel:bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,112 Posts
We host Christmas Eve and always have a ham dinner, nothing special. We usually end up at my MIL's on Christmas night and have appetizers. The 26th is our Christmas dinner at her house, it is a replay of Thanksgiving dinner (which we love), so again not much special about it. What makes the holidays for me, food wise, is the cookies and sweet treats. It's not Christmas for me without Swedish Ammonia Cookies.:good2:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Before my sister passed, when we would visit her for Christmas,,,
she made me pick up one of these,,,

She was the only one in the family that could cook it,, and make it edible,,, :flag_of_truce:

The guy that makes those hams is close enough that I can ride over,
and select one that is still hanging in the barn.

My wife is a great cook,, but, she can not prepare a cured ham,,,:dunno:

So,, maybe we need a new special food for Christmas,,

What’s wrong with it. Too salty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Wife makes homemade sticky buns Christmas morning.
My hen it’s ham and all the fixings for lunch.

And a week later pork and sauerkraut. :yummy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What’s wrong with it. Too salty?
Actually,, I think her magic was in the biscuits.
The biscuits were kinda un-salty,, balancing the ham over-salty-ness,,,

That,, plus the ham being sliced so thin, you could read the newspaper through the ham!!

(Does anyone remember what a newspaper is?? :dunno:)

·
Registered
12,291 Posts

That,, plus the ham being sliced so thin, you could read the newspaper through the ham!!

Is that anything like a phone book :dunno: or an actual road map :lol:

PS.
That ham and biscuits sound great :good2:

·
Registered
11,678 Posts

so what ur saying now is that bagged ham is pre-sliced. some stores call that a spiral ham. i and the family do not care for pre-sliced hams.
i have bought some of them hams over the yrs. especially if i got down to visit my one uncle who lived near where rw580 does.
jeez-why can't i think of the name of the town:banghead: all that i bought wasn't pre-sliced-at least not then. if they was-i'dl walk away form them.

we all liked cured hams in our family-i guess cause we used to cure our own.

as far as a newspaper-yea i get one every morning here--and look it over-and of course read:mocking:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so what ur saying now is that bagged ham is pre-sliced. some stores call that a spiral ham.
No, not pre-sliced.

This is not a smoked ham,, it is cured.
Curing is a process where they put the "fresh" hams in a mixture of salt, sugar, and spices, and let it set.
The "curing" takes quite a while.

Then it is hung in a barn to dry.

It is closer to bacon, than smoked ham,, hard, dry,, and VERY flavorful,,,

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PJR832;2431250[B said:
]Is that anything like a phone book :dunno: or an actual road map [/B]:lol:

PS.
That ham and biscuits sound great :good2:
It is a LOT like a computer monitor,, with the brightness turned WAY down,,, :flag_of_truce:

:hi::laugh:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Country cured ham

No, not pre-sliced.

This is not a smoked ham,, it is cured.
Curing is a process where they put the "fresh" hams in a mixture of salt, sugar, and spices, and let it set.
The "curing" takes quite a while.

Then it is hung in a barn to dry.

It is closer to bacon, than smoked ham,, hard, dry,, and VERY flavorful,,,
Cured ham on good biscuits is about as close to manna as I'll ever get.

However actually cooking one is a PITA because you have to start several days ahead of time soaking the ham, changing the water frequently. Lots of debate on whether to boil the ham, boil and then back or just bake it.

I prefer to boil it but even a small ham takes a big pot. It's a trick to deal with 10-12 lbs of ham plus a lot of boiling water in a big pot. A good country cured ham makes you earn every delicious bite. Even after it's cooked you need a very sharp knife to get those paper thin slices but man is it good. I wish I had some right now. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
No kidding Treefarmer, I was literally drooling while reading your post🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,112 Posts
No kidding Treefarmer, I was literally drooling while reading your post🤪

After years of reading Treefarmer’s posts, I have never found myself drooling, I’m thinking you’ve got something else going on

Seriously, maybe I’m more citified than I think, but I’ve never heard of a cured ham. It might be nice to change it up a bit for Christmas Eve, I’m wondering if I can get one from the Amish?

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
After years of reading Treefarmer’s posts, I have never found myself drooling, I’m thinking you’ve got something else going on

Seriously, maybe I’m more citified than I think, but I’ve never heard of a cured ham. It might be nice to change it up a bit for Christmas Eve, I’m wondering if I can get one from the Amish?
You just might be, as for me, well I just don’t know the Amish would be a place to looklet me know what time that’ll be ready would you

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want a John Deere,,, would you go to the Kubota dealer?? :dunno:

Here is where you need to go,,

Contact Our Staff — John L. Etzler, Inc.

If George Etzler does not get you one right out,, contact me,, I will go pick it up.

That pic at the top of the page shows how the net bagged hams look when they are in the barn.

The business name is John Etzler Inc,, but, John's tractor rolled on him a couple decades ago,,
his brother has run the business ever since.

They have a LOT of cattle,,, silage growing EVERYWHERE,,,

This is the view of the farm as you drive past,,,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts