Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year without fail you go scrolling through the want ads, weather it be facebook, CL etc..., without fail some one is in desperate need of a window unit or a snowblower. No one ever needs one early in the season they all wait until it's either 95* for a week straight or if they're buried up to their axles at the end of the driveway before they need one.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Yep. Lots of people (know a few) that are Ill prepared for anything. Reactive not proactive. Mr Uncle had a saying.
“7 P’s” Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Kind of like how there is a run on all the hardware stores for plywood as a hurricane is on the way. What did they do with the plywood from the last one? Maybe fix their roof. :dunno:

That said we just bought a portable air conditioner with all this heat last saturday. Our main AC unit just crapped out. Had the heating/cooling guy out and they said it is 16 years old and should just be replaced and that there was a leak somewhere and all the freon was gone. That was $5K we were not expecting right in the middle of the garage build. I have the ability to pay for it right now, it is just that until I have a better feel for where we are at for cost overruns on the garage build and I would rather sweat a bit now than sweat a lot later when we get an unexpected bill from a contractor on the bigger project that we have going on. The portable unit won't cool the entire house but it will do most of it. We are dealing with construction hell anyhow. People survived for years without AC.

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
I've known folks who will sell their mower at the end of the season because they don't want to store it. Same with snow blowers. With snow blowers it's usually "I didn't need it last season so I figured I sell it".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've known folks who will sell their mower at the end of the season because they don't want to store it. Same with snow blowers. With snow blowers it's usually "I didn't need it last season so I figured I sell it".
I hope you smack them upside the head for that. I wonder if those are the same people who spend thousands on a snowblower use it twice then sell it for next to nothing. I had a boss who, once he no longer had a use for it no matter the condition, would throw it out.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I hope you smack them upside the head for that. I wonder if those are the same people who spend thousands on a snowblower use it twice then sell it for next to nothing. I had a boss who, once he no longer had a use for it no matter the condition, would throw it out.
I like these people. I have room to store the stuff and then sell them for a premium when they are back in "season". :gizmo:

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
Or even the people that just simply don't plan. Say someone who doesn't have a snowblower or the means to clear snow wait until there is 36" in the driveway and then start frantically calling anyone and everyone with a plow, and expect you to drop everything you are doing because their driveway needs to be cleared right now. :banghead::banghead: Unfortunately I know several people that fit that exact category. :nunu:

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
There's a guy I watch on YouTube who is always scoring free or extremely cheap mowers, snowblowers and other engine powered things and then takes them home and gets them running. He said a good portion of his finds come from upscale neighborhoods where folks buy a new mower or snowblower, don't store it properly in the off season and then when it won't start the next year they just sit it down at the end of the driveway and go buy another new one.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just out of school I worked in the Hill's shoe department for a while. Busiest day of the year was the first snow of the season trying to keep boots on the shelves.

I, on the other hand, am the kind of guy that likes to be prepared long before the season hits, which is why I'm looking for a quick hitch snow blade now. I found a good deal but hoping to find one that isn't 400 miles away...

·
Registered
370 Posts
People survived for years without AC.
I had this exact same discussion with our drivers about 3 weeks ago. I'm only 26 and seem to have a stronger spine than most of the idiots in this world today. I can't stand hearing the excuse that they're going to fall off a load since the ac isn't working in the truck. Suck it up buttercup. I didn't live through the days of no AC/power steering in vehicles but have driven plenty of older rigs that didn't have creature comforts. What burns me even more is at 230 pounds you wont hear me complain, I'm just happy to be working and making money... Meanwhile a 165 pound bag of bones tells me I dont understand. Lucky a lot of them didn't have to work though the 50s and 60s... I dont think they would have survived

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
Every year without fail you go scrolling through the want ads, weather it be facebook, CL etc..., without fail some one is in desperate need of a window unit or a snowblower. No one ever needs one early in the season they all wait until it's either 95* for a week straight or if they're buried up to their axles at the end of the driveway before they need one.
They usually want it free and delivered too.

There’s a guy up here that does that, and asks 95% of new price off season. Then the item sits until the peak season is approaching.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think you could add backup generators to this category, nobody seems to want them until the power is out for 3 days. Then they are for sale everywhere.

I have a simple philosophy: never sell or get rid of anything.

This is why, among other things, I have 3 push mowers, 2 snowblowers, 2 tillers, 4 chainsaws, 4 tractors, at least 5 gas trimmers with different attachments.... but everything runs! :lol:

My wife has adapted (or at least gotten used to) my approach to mechanical things.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Yep. Lots of people (know a few) that are Ill prepared for anything. Reactive not proactive. Mr Uncle had a saying.
If you saw the lines of both people and vehicles waiting hours in line at gas stations the day after Hurricane Sandy hit.....it was amazing.
Newark Police even staffed the gas stations with assault rifles to prevent fights.

Good thing they didnt know about my stockpile of full gas cans sitting in the shed behind my garage. :laugh:

·
Registered
500 Posts
This should be in the 'Words of Wisdom' thread too.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
I think you could add backup generators to this category, nobody seems to want them until the power is out for 3 days. Then they are for sale everywhere.

I have a simple philosophy: never sell or get rid of anything.

This is why, among other things, I have 3 push mowers, 2 snowblowers, 2 tillers, 4 chainsaws, 4 tractors, at least 5 gas trimmers with different attachments.... but everything runs! :lol:

My wife has adapted (or at least gotten used to) my approach to mechanical things.
My wife looked in my toolbox once and said "Why do you need so many of the same size wrenches"? I replied, "Aren't all of your shoes the same size?" Since I touched on a nerve, the subject never came up again........:laugh::lol:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
106° When I bought my snow blower in Nebraska it was 106°. I got more than a few looks driving around with the blower in the back of the truck that day...but I was prepared for the winter. The first two winters it was owned, we got NADDA for snow, and the wife gave me heck for owning a green paper weight. The winters since have been significantly different and she now sees the value.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I had a Platoon Sergeant the used to say that at every formation.

He was a wise man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts