Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
Anyone know insurance? Lady backed into me in the alley a few houses down, No injuries, all good. We swapped basic info being so close nothing too much. I am filling out a DPS report on crash, you have 10 days to file. Do I need to contact her insurance yet? We were going to just work it out among us, however not so sure I should not cover my back just in case....

IMG_0602.JPG

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Call the police and make a report right away. I've seen enough on Judge Judy to know them's that don't report it become "litigants". :banghead: These days one can not trust anybody, even perfect strangers that don't know you will try and (bleep) you. Relatives are worse!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Hey all
Anyone know insurance? Lady backed into me in the alley a few houses down, No injuries, all good. We swapped basic info being so close nothing too much. I am filling out a DPS report on crash, you have 10 days to file. Do I need to contact her insurance yet? We were going to just work it out among us, however not so sure I should not cover my back just in case....

View attachment 44847
You are probably looking at 3 - 4 grand to fix it right.
New fender (not junk yard), new door (not junk yard), paint job to match rest of car (takes a
good shop to do the clear coat right where it will stand up to weather and time and not peel or fade
due to moisture trapped under clear coat).

Think on that.

Cajun

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Call your insurance company at the VERY least. Police report IS a good idea.

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
I agree with what's been said. In my experience with something like this I only called my own insurance company and they handled everything.

Not a bad idea to call the police for a report but around here they will only offer to fill out an incident report which is nothing more than both your and the other drivers information. Your insurance company can also guide you with what to do there.

Someone saying "they will take care of it" sounds good until they find out how much it is to be repaired.

To me it is always a red flag when someone wants to "take care of it" themselves without getting insurance involved.....

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,284 Posts
Don't wait.
Have Police make a report.
Call your Insurance Co.
Pick up a copy of the Accident Report from Police.
Your Insurance Co will handle everything with the other driver's Insurance.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Call your own insurance company. Keep in mind that HER insurance company is going to do whatever they can to save HER and THEM money. They owe YOU nothing.

Let your insurance company deal with her's. That's what you pay them for.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Definitely call your insurance company and they will give you some options on whether to file the claim through them or her insurance. If they do, use your insurance company. I have found that dealing directly with their insurance can be a pain. That damage is more than your neighbor probably realizes and won't want to pay that cost out of their pocket.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
File the accident report and notify your insurance. With that amount of damage 'out-of-pocket' seems a like remote possibility.
Be honest, keep the other guy honest.:good2:

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
Just wanted to add this from a pretty serious accident some years ago. An old drunk guy pulled across the road to get into his driveway directly in front of me on a 55mph road.

His insurance company called me. They did inform me that the call was being recorded then the guy proceeded to ask me a bunch of weird questions. I clammed up right away and said that he needs to call my insurance company. What he was trying to do was entice me into saying something that would put part of the blame on me - called partial responsibility or something like that. I knew that when I got a call from them a few days later after the adjuster looked at my vehicle - they offered to pay for 1/3 of the cost of repair saying I was 2/3 responsible for the wreck.

Let my insurance company handle it - end of the story was the entire repair bill was paid by them using my preferred shop along with a rental vehicle for 4 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the great advice.

I am Priority mailing in a claim now, I have a feeling I will get the run around on this from insurance. Figures!

I am also calling the insurance group today to deal with it. Last time I was in an accident, in my teens was rear ended, even though the guy claimed 100% fault (Fell asleep at wheel), they tried everything to act like it was my fault. In the end they paid.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You said it was in an alley. Is that private or public property. The only thing the police can do for an accident that happened on private property is make sure you swap insurance. You shouldn't have to talk to their insurance. Like others have said, that's your insurance company's job.

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
One week ago this afternoon, heard a loud bang. At first I thought someone shoot a shotgun,,wrong. Went outside and seen this fellow getting out of his car setting in my BIL yard. Then I seen my BIL SUV setting across his yard with the whole front of it gone and into his front porch.
Called 911 , BIL or his wife was not home, cops came and this kids parents. His mom wanted my BIL insurance company and name. Deputy Sheriff advised us and BIL when he arrived, not to give her his insurance info only BIL name. The only way they could get my BIL info was if they pay for a police report , They have already totaled my BIL car, should get his check today and already looking for a new car.

Since he hit my BIL car and his car was setting still no need for them to have my BIL info. According to Deputy Sheriff.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Interesting... I still think it's amazing, someone hits you and you are scrambling somehow like it's your fault because people hide behind insurance regs. The alley is just a part of the neighborhood. Did file the report - so we shall see...

I think I can easily find a door and qtr panel in somehow this deal tanks, however seems like putting on a door would be hard. I have not put a door on a car since my 76' and 70' Camaro. No electrical made it easy.

One week ago this afternoon, heard a loud bang. At first I thought someone shoot a shotgun,,wrong. Went outside and seen this fellow getting out of his car setting in my BIL yard. Then I seen my BIL SUV setting across his yard with the whole front of it gone and into his front porch.
Called 911 , BIL or his wife was not home, cops came and this kids parents. His mom wanted my BIL insurance company and name. Deputy Sheriff advised us and BIL when he arrived, not to give her his insurance info only BIL name. The only way they could get my BIL info was if they pay for a police report , They have already totaled my BIL car, should get his check today and already looking for a new car.

Since he hit my BIL car and his car was setting still no need for them to have my BIL info. According to Deputy Sheriff.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Insurance

Hey all

View attachment 44847
I would call the other party's insurance company for a couple of reasons. First, you probably have a deductible from your insurance company and would have to pay out of pocket. If the other party is at fault, it's up to them to make it right including repairing the damage and some reasonable car rental while your vehicle is in the shop. Reputable companies also warranty their work so if something isn't right, the company will work with the repair shop to fix it.

Second, pretty much all claims you report to your company end up on your insurance record. It might have less effect if it's not your fault but it all goes in the file.

Good luck. Glad nobody was hurt.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
First, you probably have a deductible from your insurance company and would have to pay out of pocket.
If the other party is at fault then he wouldn't have any deductible. The other party's insurance company pays that. Deductibles on collision claims usually only apply if you are at fault or it is a no-fault claim.

If the other party is at fault, it's up to them to make it right including repairing the damage and some reasonable car rental while your vehicle is in the shop. Reputable companies also warranty their work so if something isn't right, the company will work with the repair shop to fix it.
I'm confused on the thinking here. When my truck was hit a few years ago I called my insurance company. They got me a rental car and got my truck fixed and then they went and got their money back from the other person's insurance company. Why would you want to deal with someone else's insurance company for all of this?

Second, pretty much all claims you report to your company end up on your insurance record. It might have less effect if it's not your fault but it all goes in the file.
It's going to end up "in the file" anyway. If he goes to her insurance company, they're going to report everything back to his carrier anyway (and depending on State requirements, may get reported to the State as well.). All auto insurance claims are run through a shared database and reported by VIN. That's how companies like Carfax get their data as well.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
When the wife and I lived in Carnegie, PA we had a crappy neighbor. He felt he owned the street in front of his house. The first weekend we were in our apt. he showed up drunk on our porch threatening to have my truck towed because it was illegal parked in front of his house. I told him to piss off as I had the proper permit to park on the street. Well with in the next week I had a flat tire. Called the cops but of course they could do nothing as it was his word against mine. The officer left me with the feeling that this guy had been running roughshod over the street for the last 15 years and they were as pissed as I was because they could not catch him.

Later that day I called my land lord and told him that I had met our new neighbor and not in a good way. The land lord all but confirmed that he had known and failed to warn us before we inked the lease. I told him I was going to put up surveillance cameras or take him to court to break the lease. He told me that he would help and was available when ever I was ready.

So over the next week I purchased cameras and built a Linux based DVR. The meat head neighbor had never found himself up against a tech head with disposable income.

The stalk was a long one but a year so later the neighbor backed into my wife's car causing damage to the front end and just drove off. This time I called to police and they more than happy to issue a ticket. The neighbor protested the ticket and we had to go to court. On the day of the court hearing the police office and even the chief met us at the court house.

The neighbor denied it ever happened and said there was no proof. That was I set my Macbook up on the bench and played the video for the magistrate. He thought that the video of my wife's car bouncing up and down for several seconds after the impact was convincing enough. The magistrate suspended the case for 6 weeks in order for neighbor to take care of the repair costs.

I swear I could hear the faint sound of popping champaign corks coming from the police station later that day in celebration of finally nailing that jerk.

We were down to about a week left and we had heard nothing. Finally my wife called his insurance adjuster and asked what was going on. He tried to back her into a corner. He all of a sudden wanted copies of the video, our insurance info and bunch of other stuff. Now my wife is about 5'6" and a 115lbs lit him up. She told him if it was that important he should have been at the hearing and if they need the video now they would have to subpoena it through the court and pay to have the video duplicated. The adjuster made one more hard close and told my wife they would deny the claim. It did not work because my wife told him that she wished they would and leave the neighbor on the hook for the whole amount. The adjuster knew he had been had and said they would get a check out ASAP.

The neighbor never screwed with us after that.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW what a story.....

In my case she was very elusive when I spoke to her last, yet at the scene was so apologetic. I filed the claim on her, so let's see what happens from there. The car runs well yet is old, I was willing to try and keep the repairs fair and low if possible. I hope they just fix what they broke.

When the wife and I lived in Carnegie, PA we had a crappy neighbor. He felt he owned the street in front of his house. The first weekend we were in our apt. he showed up drunk on our porch threatening to have my truck towed because it was illegal parked in front of his house. I told him to piss off as I had the proper permit to park on the street. Well with in the next week I had a flat tire. Called the cops but of course they could do nothing as it was his word against mine. The officer left me with the feeling that this guy had been running roughshod over the street for the last 15 years and they were as pissed as I was because they could not catch him.

Later that day I called my land lord and told him that I had met our new neighbor and not in a good way. The land lord all but confirmed that he had known and failed to warn us before we inked the lease. I told him I was going to put up surveillance cameras or take him to court to break the lease. He told me that he would help and was available when ever I was ready.

So over the next week I purchased cameras and built a Linux based DVR. The meat head neighbor had never found himself up against a tech head with disposable income.

The stalk was a long one but a year so later the neighbor backed into my wife's car causing damage to the front end and just drove off. This time I called to police and they more than happy to issue a ticket. The neighbor protested the ticket and we had to go to court. On the day of the court hearing the police office and even the chief met us at the court house.

The neighbor denied it ever happened and said there was no proof. That was I set my Macbook up on the bench and played the video for the magistrate. He thought that the video of my wife's car bouncing up and down for several seconds after the impact was convincing enough. The magistrate suspended the case for 6 weeks in order for neighbor to take care of the repair costs.

I swear I could hear the faint sound of popping champaign corks coming from the police station later that day in celebration of finally nailing that jerk.

We were down to about a week left and we had heard nothing. Finally my wife called his insurance adjuster and asked what was going on. He tried to back her into a corner. He all of a sudden wanted copies of the video, our insurance info and bunch of other stuff. Now my wife is about 5'6" and a 115lbs lit him up. She told him if it was that important he should have been at the hearing and if they need the video now they would have to subpoena it through the court and pay to have the video duplicated. The adjuster made one more hard close and told my wife they would deny the claim. It did not work because my wife told him that she wished they would and leave the neighbor on the hook for the whole amount. The adjuster knew he had been had and said they would get a check out ASAP.

The neighbor never screwed with us after that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts