Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that my son is a commander for a major police department in Ohio. He called me yesterday with some disturbing news. One of his fellow officers was in a serious automobile accident the other day on his way home from work. Totaled his car, but thankfully he is fine. When making the report to his insurance company, the first thing the agent asked him was "why were you on the road and where were you going". He proceeded to tell the agent that he was a police officer and just completed his shift and was on his way home. The agent said, alright then and proceeded to process the claim.

I think you already get the gist of this. With stay at home orders and lock downs etc. (call it what you want), insurance companies are apparently looking for any reason to not have to pay a claim. This disgusts me to no end. As my son said, there are many legitimate reasons to travel, but know your reason and be careful what you say to your insurance company if something happens.

If there are any insurance agents on this forum, and you are at the liberty to talk about this, please enlighten us.

Registered
Many of you know that my son is a commander for a major police department in Ohio. He called me yesterday with some disturbing news. One of his fellow officers was in a serious automobile accident the other day on his way home from work. Totaled his car, but thankfully he is fine. When making the report to his insurance company, the first thing the agent asked him was "why were you on the road and where were you going". He proceeded to tell the agent that he was a police officer and just completed his shift and was on his way home. The agent said, alright then and proceeded to process the claim.

I think you already get the gist of this. With stay at home orders and lock downs etc. (call it what you want), insurance companies are apparently looking for any reason to not have to pay a claim. This disgusts me to no end. As my son said, there are many legitimate reasons to travel, but know your reason and be careful what you say to your insurance company if something happens.

If there are any insurance agents on this forum, and you are at the liberty to talk about this, please enlighten us.
I'm not an insurance agent and therefore I'm just guessing but no policy I've ever had would exclude a claim based on whether you should be on the road or not. Companies routinely pay for accidents in weather/storms where any sane person would be home, likewise for impaired drivers.

I think they definitely would have to pay the claim but the response might impact underwriting for the next policy renewal. As an extreme example, what is someone was a tornado chaser just for kicks and managed to catch the tornado and live through it but with a trashed car. I would think the insurance company would have to pay the claim but the claimsperson or agent would put a big note on the policy that this idiot chases tornadoes, don't renew the policy.

That's just a guess on my part. Anyone with more knowledge is free to shoot me down.

Treefarmer

Premium Member
I'm not an insurance agent and therefore I'm just guessing but no policy I've ever had would exclude a claim based on whether you should be on the road or not. Companies routinely pay for accidents in weather/storms where any sane person would be home, likewise for impaired drivers.

I think they definitely would have to pay the claim but the response might impact underwriting for the next policy renewal. As an extreme example, what is someone was a tornado chaser just for kicks and managed to catch the tornado and live through it but with a trashed car. I would think the insurance company would have to pay the claim but the claimsperson or agent would put a big note on the policy that this idiot chases tornadoes, don't renew the policy.

That's just a guess on my part. Anyone with more knowledge is free to shoot me down.

Treefarmer
We see it every year with ice fisherman dropping their new trucks through the ice.

Premium Member
That one stupid ass remark would be enough for me to drop them.
Agreed but if someone hits you I can see their insurance company causing grief. Good thr on being careful what you say.

Premium Member
We see it every year with ice fisherman dropping their new trucks through the ice.
Do they cover that and what about the fines or fees?

Premium Member
Perhaps his agents question was one of personal interest and nothing more, because of the travel restrictions and stay at home order? I don't buy the "Insurance companies are looking for a reason to not pay claims", at least not the reputable companies. I think it is a leap to imply the reason the question was asked was for the reason of denying coverage.

There are legal reasons to be driving in every states "Stay at home Orders" that I have read. How would denying the claim achieve anything but terrible public relations at a time when flexibility and personal accommodation are called for because of the crisis?

Also, the agents don't have any authority or power to "deny" a claim. They simply would fill out the report and forward it to the claims adjuster. I think assuming the question asked was for the sole purpose of denying coverage or the claim is a leap which is unwarranted and frankly, down the vein of conspiracy theories which really serve no point in discussions now, or really any time.

The companies simply don't have any legal basis to deny a claim for the very purpose they provide the coverage. Until someone shows me an actual claim denial in writing, I simply don't buy it and think its assuming something not in evidence.

Registered
That is some bs. In these trying times my answer would be " I went to get beer , hot peanuts and essential groceries " Those are considered legitimate reasons to be on the road.
In this same line of bs, I received a notice from the California Division of Forestry that I need to contact them to schedule defensible space fire inspections for my 2 properties, Really? I called a left them a message telling them I just had one 6 months ago by the local fire chief and that we do not want people on our property for any reason until the situation is better and over.

Registered
Perhaps his agents question was one of personal interest and nothing more, because of the travel restrictions and stay at home order? I don't buy the "Insurance companies are looking for a reason to not pay claims", at least not the reputable companies. I think it is a leap to imply the reason the question was asked was for the reason of denying coverage.
While I do think insurance companies do like finding reasons not to pay, I also have a feeling that you are right. This was more likely casual conversation than an investigation and possible claim denial. It is hard to say with 100% certainty but it is my guess.

Registered
I suspect the question is standard......for example ...a person could be leaving there job driving their own car and going by the bank to drop off a deposit for the company they work for......in a case like this i am sure the company they worked would be forced to share some of the claim responsibility ....there are many different instances that could cause claim issues and i imagine there is a specific line of questions that are asked at the start of the claim......i experienced a lot of this type of issue in a construction company i owned

Premium Member
I suspect the question is standard....
Many years ago before I found my purpose in life I worked at an insurance company for a brief time in auto claims. There are many standard questions and other circumstances i.e., time of the day, road conditions, weather, type of vehicle, color of vehicle, so forth and so on. Insurance companies use all of this information for demographics. Under the current situation that our nation is in it is somewhat believable that there may possibly be another reason for asking such a question, though highly unlikely that they were looking for an easy out IMO.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
All I can add to this is conversation is that one of my brothers was an adjuster for ### ##### for years. He said it could be a situation where this adjuster tried to bully or intimidate an uninformed client into not filing a claim, right, wrong or indifferent. Who has read their policy cover to cover and understood every last clause. Many people won't push the envelope and possibly give in. I'm not saying that they are in the business to get out of paying claims, but I think we would be naive to think that it doesn't happen either. Not everyone in this world is honest. My agent has many times instructed me on how to state my case, should I have a claim.

Registered
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that this was a scare tactic to try to get them to stay home.

Dave

Registered
I think it鈥檚 pretty common for agents to ask a few questions. I get a slight discount on my new truck because I have it listed as a secondary vehicle. I have a older Colorado that I use for driving daily back and forth from work. So while I can take the new truck to work occasionally , I could have some explaining to do if I got in a accident with it driving to work.

Registered
Just thinking out loud here.
One constant is that we live in changing times. And this virus scare is a hotbed of change. It will be interesting to see what temporary changes become a fixture. Every industry/business/individual will try to ease their workload and expeditures, only natural. Making a questionable change alone is tough, making a change as an industry is a lot easier to gain acceptance. Throw in politics and get enough legal backing..........

Registered
I guess he didn't receive a citation for failure to control like I would have?
Forgive me, I'm grumpy from the you know what BS...
Glad to hear he was not injured.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
In all reality, I'm not disagreeing with most of your replies. Just playing devils advocate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts