Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard some local bad news this morning. A young man, just starting out in farming was running a spreader truck with either lime or fertilizer. Apparently something happened to the drag chain and he got out to see what was going on but left the mechanism running. The spinners caught a string on his hoodie and it was all over. I didn't know him personally but understand he had two small children.

A grim reminder for all of us who run equipment to shut it down before inspecting or approaching equipment. Spinners, gears, PTO shafts, belts, pulleys, chains all have the potential to kill. Yes, it's a PITA to shut stuff down and restart but at least when you do it you still have a butt. This young man's family won't have him around this Christmas or any other time. A few seconds to shut things down and let them stop moving and he would be working on the truck instead of his family planning a funeral. :banghead:

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
It's always sad to read or hear of these things happening. Condolences to his family.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I heard some local bad news this morning. A young man, just starting out in farming was running a spreader truck with either lime or fertilizer. Apparently something happened to the drag chain and he got out to see what was going on but left the mechanism running. The spinners caught a string on his hoodie and it was all over. I didn't know him personally but understand he had two small children.

A grim reminder for all of us who run equipment to shut it down before inspecting or approaching equipment. Spinners, gears, PTO shafts, belts, pulleys, chains all have the potential to kill. Yes, it's a PITA to shut stuff down and restart but at least when you do it you still have a butt. This young man's family won't have him around this Christmas or any other time. A few seconds to shut things down and let them stop moving and he would be working on the truck instead of his family planning a funeral. :banghead:

Treefarmer
Condolences to the family. Great post TF. Sad, but it needs to be said for all the newbie and those contemplating disconnecting seat switch or the like. That stuff is there for a reason. The RIO is there as a nanny state fix for stupid people.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
This is a grim reminder about safety and all the safety interlocks that now exist on almost every machine. Yes many are PITA's, but if they have been mandated or placed there for "some" reason, probably at least 1 person was injured previously.

I generally do not defeat any of the safety devices on my equipment. Other than my desire in "keeping it original", I guess that it may save me one day when I'm tired or absent minded. Better safe than sorry is my motto. And it may not be me who is operating the equipment, it could be one of my kids, my wife, or my grandchildren, they may "just forget" to shut something off, and bad things can happen. I'd rather them complain about a safety shutdown/restart than have to take them to a hospital ... or worse.

I generally lie low in the posts/threads that describe how to bypass a safety feature (like the series 1 RIO). :hide: I basically don't agree (and that's just my opinion) but to each his own, and they know the risks.

Condolences to the family and friends of the one lost.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Last night some one was putting drain tile in a field by Dixon Illinois and their tile machine got stuck on something and they brought in a Bigger tractor to pull him out and what they were stuck on was a natural gas pipeline, once they punctured it , a ball of flames got both people. Only goes to say we should always the Safe.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Man that stinks. I know how it is losing my Dad when I was 8 to a hunting accident.
I grew up having Grandpa and a close neighbor farmer who I worked for and coon hunted with. My brothers got in some trouble a couple of times, but I managed to steer clear of trouble and find a Wife that has put up with me for 20 years now.
My Condolences to the family!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Last night some one was putting drain tile in a field by Dixon Illinois and their tile machine got stuck on something and they brought in a Bigger tractor to pull him out and what they were stuck on was a natural gas pipeline, once they punctured it , a ball of flames got both people. Only goes to say we should always the Safe.

Father and son team

Bad deal for sure

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Was just on the news. Father and son died, another guy in critical, one treated and released. I could see the smoke all the way over on 39 yesterday when I was going south. How terrible for them.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Never a good time to hear news like that but it especially hits hard right here at Christmas. Prayers to his family

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Never a good time to hear news like that but it especially hits hard right here at Christmas. Prayers to his family
Amen

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts