Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was wrapping up my 450 hour tranny service and was putting all the hygard in and accidentally grabbed a coolgard jug and poured in a small amount (down to the shoulder of the jug) before realizing what i had just done!

I assume i need to drain and re-fill again or is there any reason to think there is another solution?

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,493 Posts
Nope...drain and refill. At least it was "a small amount" and you didn't start it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I can see how that would happen. They both utilize the same containers and both are white.

I believe anti-freeze is heavier than oil, but not positive, so it would settle to the bottom of the sump and drain out first. However, I wouldn't take the risk to save a few bucks on HyGard.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see how that would happen. They both utilize the same containers and both are white.

I believe anti-freeze is heavier than oil, but not positive, so it would settle to the bottom of the sump and drain out first. However, I wouldn't take the risk to save a few bucks on HyGard.

Yep - and it was the 4th gallon so i was “In the zone” so to to speak of finishing the job!

And yes, the first fluid out of the drain plug was coolant - i guess we’ll consider this a “flush and fill” tranny service!

At least its another 200 hours before i have to deal with removing those dang magnetic filter hose clamps again! Had a small amount of metal shavings accumulated and even still found some more gasket sealer in the tunnel the screen tube occupies.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I did this exact thing, except put it in my front axle. Drained and refilled, no problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Once upon a time tractors had ALL SORTS of filler caps down their hoods because, well, thats how it was done. We also didn't have real good, standup internalional iconic labelling. well...I saw lots of radiators get topped off with diesel and a few diesel tanks get their share of Glycol flushes... It happens, don't be flushed with embarassment (sorry- had to!). You caught - no foul. Hope it all worked out.:good2:

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Just a few days ago, it was gasoline in the diesel tank for another member. IT SHappens*, even to the best of us...........glad you caught it.

I like using the 5 gallon containers of Low Viscosity hydro fluid and I pour it into one of these linked below, for filling the tractor and keeping track of the quarts, as its easier for me with the filler neck location with the cab..........it's very handy for accurate measuring and very easy pouring. Plus it allows me to see the fluid before pouring, just to be safe........

As you know, you can add hydro fluid during the service and if you lose count, it takes for ever for the fluid to show up on the dipstick and then, all of a sudden, its full and easily overfilled, which is why I like the container for helping keeping count.

*(which is my user name on another tractor forum and yes, there apparently are other tractor forum's, not that I visit there very often.........or at all :hide:)

https://www.amazon.com/Value-MEA-400PC-Polycarbonate-Measuring-Pitcher/dp/B0784LCVGR/ref=sr_1_4?crid=H7A6YW7ZPBZD&keywords=gallon+pitcher+measuring&qid=1564964916&s=gateway&sprefix=gallon+pitcher%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts