1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Yessir, it just takes a split second. Use the safety equipment they give you. It works. Use common sense and don’t over do it. If you don’t know, ask. It surely doesn’t make you less of a person for taking those steps. You only get this one chance in life.....

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
:dunno:it didn't say if it was a farm tractor or a lawn and garden tractor that pinned him in the creek? yrs ago-i decided i was gonna make a set of wooden ramps out of some locust planks my dad had given me. so made the slope on both ends-laid them on my pickup tail gate-got on the wheel horse proceeded right up the planks till........my chains hit the tail gate--of course i didn't have the planks chained to the truck--and probably within one revolution of the tire with the chains hitting the pickup bed-tail gate-the tires kicked the planks out backwards--and me and my wheel horse was looking at the sky.
:banghead: i'm so glad i had a foot or more of snow to land in that day.

u think i could push that little tractor off of me--as soon as i took one foot off of one side of the running board-it wanted to come on back over on me. i yelled for the wife to come out of our house trailer-but she was playing a game with her younger brother at the time.:nunu::nunu:

so IDK how long i laid there thinking what was i gonna do? lucky for me we lived with lots of neighbors then-and the one neighbor was working day shift at the mine-came home and see me with the wheel horse holding it up-well he wasn't quite sure what he was gonna find when he walked up to me-but as i told him what happened-he held the tractor by the snow-plow-and i got out from underneath-then pulled my pickup ahead a bit-and then set the tractor down on the ground. after that i rigged up a set of chains to hold the planks tight to the bed of the truck--that worked a-ok then to load in the wintertime. things do happen in a flash-then its too late.

p.s. neighbor guy and i put a old car horn on the wheel horse than so if i ever got in trouble again:munch:my wife maybe would hear me blowing it-and come out of the trialer to help me:mocking:

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Jim, You’re very lucky you were strong like ox.

The attached story, how sad. We joust had someone a month ago less than 5 miles away found crushed under his rotary mower that came down on him.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Jim, You’re very lucky you were strong like ox.

The attached story, how sad. We joust had someone a month ago less than 5 miles away found crushed under his rotary mower that came down on him.
yes i am-especially at that time. u know-Herm-as a fella grows older i know i am less rambunctious around tractors and doing things with them. just yesterday when brush hogging with the jd model 50, the front end got a hair light on a hill i have drove up and down since 1967--but now them little things make ur ole heart do a flutter and ur brain says get ready.:lol:

i knew a ground hog had a hole there somewhere--i found his 2nd hole-right beside a slate rock yet to boot, but when the right wheel fell into that hole-it pulled the front end to the right--glad i had my left foot by the brake as i just tightened it pretty good to pull the front end back around, till the rear wheel pulled it out of the hole. exciting for a brief second-but that's how bad things happen-fast.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Fortunate

:dunno:it didn't say if it was a farm tractor or a lawn and garden tractor that pinned him in the creek? yrs ago-i decided i was gonna make a set of wooden ramps out of some locust planks my dad had given me. so made the slope on both ends-laid them on my pickup tail gate-got on the wheel horse proceeded right up the planks till........my chains hit the tail gate--of course i didn't have the planks chained to the truck--and probably within one revolution of the tire with the chains hitting the pickup bed-tail gate-the tires kicked the planks out backwards--and me and my wheel horse was looking at the sky.
:banghead: i'm so glad i had a foot or more of snow to land in that day.

u think i could push that little tractor off of me--as soon as i took one foot off of one side of the running board-it wanted to come on back over on me. i yelled for the wife to come out of our house trailer-but she was playing a game with her younger brother at the time.:nunu::nunu:

so IDK how long i laid there thinking what was i gonna do? lucky for me we lived with lots of neighbors then-and the one neighbor was working day shift at the mine-came home and see me with the wheel horse holding it up-well he wasn't quite sure what he was gonna find when he walked up to me-but as i told him what happened-he held the tractor by the snow-plow-and i got out from underneath-then pulled my pickup ahead a bit-and then set the tractor down on the ground. after that i rigged up a set of chains to hold the planks tight to the bed of the truck--that worked a-ok then to load in the wintertime. things do happen in a flash-then its too late.

p.s. neighbor guy and i put a old car horn on the wheel horse than so if i ever got in trouble again:munch:my wife maybe would hear me blowing it-and come out of the trialer to help me:mocking:
We've had two people in the area severely injured doing the same thing. The first one was pinned under his lawnmower and frankly never really recovered. He ended up in a nursing home.

The second one was just a month or so ago. A friend of mine was driving his lawn tractor onto his truck and one of the planks broke, dumping him over with the tractor on top. The engine kept running and oil ran out through the exhaust and the oil caught fire. So he was pinned under the lawn tractor with burning oil. By some miracle the gas did not light off and a neighbor heard him before he became toast. He was pretty badly bruised but not burnt to a crisp like he could have been.

Treefarmer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts