Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
LX172, X700 (And a Kubota)
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my first JD lawnmower around 1998. LX172 with a 38" deck. It has performed well on suburban yard chores for a long time. The plastic hood is now broken in the hood hinge area. In 02/2021 we got a GT 245 garden tractor with a 48" deck that needed some work. I have the deck shell out for bead blasting & painting now.
The GT 245 will be for mowing the roughly one acre lawn at the house.

We also have a piece of recreational property with a cabin. The ~70 acre parcel has a road frontage field where the cabin is located. The 1.5 acre field is an old farm pasture.
I started clearing some of the field with the LX 172 last year, especially surrounding the cabin. Concerns about grass/brush fires was the primary reason.
And when the old farm pasture got mowed frequently with a finish mower, it quickly turned into decent quality lawn.
We used our Kubota for removing rocks and leveling out the high spots in the field before mowing with the LX 172.

I wasn't mowing the entire field with the LX 172, only about half of it.
But every time I mowed, I always cut just a little bit more.
Soon it was taking most of a day for mowing at the cabin.
Last year was extremely dry and mowing wasn't required nearly as frequently as usual.

It really didn't take very long to figure out that the LX 172 really wasn't the right machine for the job.

We have a Kubota BX 25 with loader, backhoe, and four foot rotary cutter that we use for property projects.
The rotary cutter did a great job with the light brush and vegetation in the field, but obviously didn't leave a lawn quality cut.
The BX only had the loader and backhoe when we got it.

So last week I found a really nice used 60" mid mount mower deck for the Kubota on consignment.
I picked it up and got it installed.

Then I started to think about whenever I needed the Kubota for dirt work with the loader and backhoe, that I would be crawling under the Kubota and removing/installing the 60" mid mount deck. I take the BX out into the woods and work on creek banks, and all the other endless dirt projects that 70 acres requires, along with retrieving firewood.

Yesterday I made the mistake of looking on a couple equipment web sites. There it was. A John Deere X 700 with a 62" deck and only a couple hours away.
I hooked up my trailer and off I went.

I looked the X 700 over pretty good. It's a nice looking machine, not beat up, everything operates, 1001 hours. It was on consignment, a one owner machine.
Being a consignment machine, no sales tax, always a plus in my book!
I brought it home!
My better half wasn't exactly pleased...
Now I have options for mowing at the cabin.

So tell me about JD X 700 tractors.

Tire Wheel Riding mower Lawn mower Vehicle

·
Registered
992 Posts
It and the X720 are basically the same, except yours has a carburetor and the X720 is fuel injected. The X700 will handle the same implements and attachments that all the X7's will. You can add a 540 rpm standard-shaft rear pto, and either a factory 3-point lift or one of a couple of aftermarket lifts. I'm not all that familiar with the X7 gas engines, but by all accounts they seem pretty solid. I had a X748 for 11 years and never had any problems with the tractor, and I put 1500 hours on it.

The differential lock is nice and will come in handy, since this is a 2WD machine. Maintenance is straightforward, there is a grease zerk that is hard to find, but imperative to keep greased. With the deck off, look under the tractor where the driveshaft from the engine connects to the transmission. The U-joint there can be difficult to access for greasing, but don't forget it. Keep the side screens and radiator screen clean, the tractor will overheat if they get clogged.

Other owners can add plenty to what is nice or important to know. The X7 is a very good machine.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Did this one have the plastic cam gear? If so, was it updated with the new replacement gear?

BTW, nice looking tractor.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Congrats on you new tractor. It's always great to see examples of machines owned by people who believe in maintaining their equipment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KHodges, I wanted the carburetor model. I can fix those! Mine is down a few horsepower compared to EFI. But simpler at home repairs. I do most tractor, auto, truck, ATV, & motorcycle stuff at home. This X700 is for mowing the field, nothing else. My Kubota has bar tires and four wheel drive if I need it. It was real tough finding a X700 that wasn't beat to death.

farmer52, Can't say if it's plastic or not. I read online that all water cooled Kawasaki engines got the metal gears in '98 to '99 so mine is way newer than that. I will continue researching.

JDGreen-n-Yellow, Thanks! It was pretty obvious that it had been pampered by the previous owner.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Did this one have the plastic cam gear? If so, was it updated with the new replacement gear?

BTW, nice looking tractor.
The plastic cam gears were only used in 99 and earlier engines.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Farmer52 in February 1998 is when the Plastic Cam was removed from Kawasaki engine Production for Deere

The Model X700 replaced the Model X475. The X700 was replaced By the X710 But No More Carburetor for the X700 series since production ended on the X710 The only other silly changes was the X700 model came with shorter Backed seat and It didn't Come with 4 Hydraulic outlets That you had to Pay a extra $48.00 at the time I think was about $80 Once the X710 came out to add the 4 Hydraulic outlets.

My Better half is always displeased when I bring a Deere home any other tractor brand and she could care less. She was a Massey Ferguson tractor Mechanic Before I met her.

The X700 should do a nice Job cutting grass for You (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed the deck on the X700 yesterday. I got the blades sharpened, greased the mower deck driveshaft, and checked the lubricant level in the deck gearbox.
KHodges mentioned the grease fitting on the driveshaft between the engine and the hydrostatic transmission.
Yeah, THAT grease fitting. What a pain!
It was obvious it had never been greased. The fitting pointed at solid steel and had been ignored for all previous service.
After several hours of cursing, I did eventually get it rotated to a more favorable direction.
I removed a very small amount of steel with a air grinder and tungsten carbide burr to give a bit of clearance for the grease gun coupler.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There are actually 2 zercs on the universal joint on the shaft goin into the transmission on my x738. I figured out that the rolling the engine over by hand gets the zerc to point strait down when you need to grease it. Of course you need to roll the engine again to get at the second one.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There are actually 2 zercs on the universal joint on the shaft goin into the transmission on my x738. I figured out that the rolling the engine over by hand gets the zerc to point strait down when you need to grease it. Of course you need to roll the engine again to get at the second one.
I thought it had 2 zerks to make access easier. I guess I need to pay more attention next time I'm servicing that thing and see if grease comes out all 4 cups or just 2. I wish JD would be specific about stuff like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This X700 has one grease fitting on the universal joint at the hydrostatic transmission end of the driveshaft.
It's a 45 degree grease fitting. (painted black, dry, never been greased, impossible to get a grease gun attached due to the way it was installed)
It was installed at the factory incorrectly. It wasn't tightened (clocked) to a position that allowed a grease gun coupler hookup.
The first time that engine to hydrostatic driveshaft needs to be removed, I will change the grease fitting to a 90 degree style.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nice machine, have you tried the diff lock? the reason i ask is because the in your picture the diff lock pedal looks stuck in the on postion and i looked at another similar machine that was non running and couldn't test it so i passed because of this. i tried to press the pedal and got no response. Now i am not saying it is stuck or there is something wrong with your machine i am asking if that is how the pedal is supposed to be thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
nice machine, have you tried the diff lock? the reason i ask is because the in your picture the diff lock pedal looks stuck in the on position and i looked at another similar machine that was non running and couldn't test it so i passed because of this. i tried to press the pedal and got no response. Now i am not saying it is stuck or there is something wrong with your machine i am asking if that is how the pedal is supposed to be thanks
If the parking brake is latched, the diff lock pedal will be in that position.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nkaust,
Before purchasing I did test the differential lock. It worked as designed. I drove around in tight circles with and without the differential lock applied.
The rear tires tore up the turf with the differential lock applied.
What farmer52 said is true. With the parking brake applied and latched, the differential lock pedal is almost against the floorboard.
Release the parking brake, and the differential lock pedal pops up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In regards to greasing the trans zerk, I take a screwdriver while underneath things and simply fit it at end of motor pully (end of crank if you will), and turn it till the zerk is visible/accessible. Worst zerks to grease IMO are the ones on drive shaft for the Auto-connect. That was a cussing job. Oh, this is a on a X758.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GreenforMe,
Thanks, I already did the screwdriver in the crank pulley for rolling the engine/driveshaft to a more favorable rotational position.
The problem I had was when the tractor was built, and when the 45 degree zerk was screwed into the universal joint, it pointed at one of the "ears" on the driveshaft that support the universal joint "cups" but it should point at the widest gap between the two "ears" instead.
Not much room to work when the driveshaft is installed.
I will install a 90 degree zerk when/if I ever need to remove the driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
In regards to greasing the trans zerk, I take a screwdriver while underneath things and simply fit it at end of motor pully (end of crank if you will), and turn it till the zerk is visible/accessible. Worst zerks to grease IMO are the ones on drive shaft for the Auto-connect. That was a cussing job. Oh, this is a on a X758.
You know it. Gotta take the deck off and disconnect the shaft from the PTO and bend that sucker over both ways/sides to expose the zerks. Every time I have occasion to remove the deck I grease those, and it's a good reason to remove it every so often to grease everything else, but those spots go deep into the repertoire to get them done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As winter slowly retreats, I've mowed twice at the house now with the new-to-me X700. (62" deck)
It has changed the lawn care game for me.
With the LX172, (38" deck) it would take me 3 to 4 hours when the grass was in the peak growth mode.
I mowed yesterday, just over one hour.
I've got 2 steep banks that the X700 can't mow, right next to the shoulder of the road. The wheels on the 62" deck dig into the bank and leave ruts.
Maybe it's time for a small walk behind battery operated rotary mower, just for the banks.
I believe I will keep the LX172 around just for a spare/backup.
I reassembled the deck on the GT245 and tested the operation.
It's time to find a new home for the GT245.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The GT245 is sold. The new owner picked it up yesterday. I also sold a 1995 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200. I bought a new 2013 Harley-Davidson Road King in late 2012. The Sportster was driven only about 3000 miles in the last eight years. So the Sportster got sold. I'm slowly gaining garage floor space for the new stuff!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have all the maintenance done on the new-to-me X700. I changed the engine oil and filter, K92 transmission fluid (hydraulic oil) and filter, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, and gas filter.
The radiator petcock was a hassle. Being extremely cautious as to not break the plastic petcock or plastic lower radiator tank.
Reassembled with silicone grease on the petcock double O-rings and petcock threads. Hopefully it will be easier next time.

Also, a new battery. I found the previous owner had used a cheap battery with the battery terminal polarity locations reversed. So I got the battery cables routed to the original positions.

I also replaced that $90 62C deck belt.

I replaced all the gauge wheels on the 62C deck, along with all four of the arms for the gauge wheels. (all four were badly worn)
When your gauge wheels get worn, replace them. Don't continue using as they get grit/dirt inside and severely wear the bearing surfaces.

When I first bought all the maintenance parts for the X700, I had taken photos of all the serial number decals. (tractor, mower deck, and engine)
The first parts counter person ( a young very competent female) added all the serial numbers into my customer profile.

The John Deere dealer near me recently changed ownership. Now they are strictly Kubota. (5 miles away)
So the nearest John Deere dealer is now 40 miles away. (one way)

It required a second trip for parts for the gauge wheel arms and hardware.
Even with the serial numbers in my customer profile, the parts counter person (a young cocky incompetent male) managed to screw it up. He didn't use my serial numbers for parts lookup.

I got home, none of the gauge wheel arms fit the holes where they mount in the deck. (incorrect parts were 0.100" larger diameter.
I called the dealer and they got the error corrected, but it took a third trip to the dealer for the gauge wheel arms exchange.

I have a set of new blades (Oregon Gator's) that I will install after mowing the recreational property several times. It's an old pasture with rocks. I'm sure I will find all the rocks!

I also got all the fluids/filters/tune-up done on the old LX172. I put a new set of Oregon Gator blades on it as well.

Then I ran out of grease for the grease gun and couldn't grease the deck spindles grease fittings so I couldn't reinstall the LX172 deck.

The hard work is all done now and I'm just getting into the spring rapid grass growth rate.

Off to get grease today.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts