Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I have a 2006 X304 with 207 hours. It's my first winter with it, replacing an ailing Bolens Tube Frame. Coming from a purely gear drive cast iron monster, I must say I love the twin-touch hydro. I recently built a set of plow wings for my 42" dozer blade. They really help with stacking snow, and I'm continually suprised by my little tractor.

3 Pins and they slide right off.

Even angled, they help alot with spill-over

Making a pile

Love my bucket holder - and you can see where i welded on a piece of angle to help stiffen up the back of the plow - it was starting to fold back a little. also - the old siezed & heavy starter for downpressure :laugh:

No hesitation!

Well that's my little X304. I'm glad I got a 2006 - they downsized the transaxle after that year.

·
Administrator
17,305 Posts
Nice Pics!

:gtt:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice wings! I also like the solid use of recycled equipment :)

I totally understand your love for your X304. Lots a folk love green, but Greene is simply special!

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Action shot of me on a 445 plowing back in October in Marthasville, Missouri.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ahhhhh, seat time!! Nice pics.Tough to beat.

\Used my 2520 today to blow about 6" of new snow from the driveway. Put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice pictures, that X304 looks like one tough machine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
You can get a lot of attachments for the X-series, including the X300 series.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cool mods dude!

I like what you did to the snow blade! Cool idea with the wings and the stiffener in the back! the wings seem to be great skid shoes! I see the X304 now has a SMV sign on the back of the seat, which is a great safety addition. Good thinking! Glad the machine is working out so well for you! Those rear buckets are great for adding ballast weight for added traction by the way..... Sand works well and as an added bonus you can spread the sand over ice when you need it. Cool steering wheel spinner! I have one on my 1026r and wished I had thought of it years ago...... Makes moving a joy!

By the way, John deere sells a lift assist spring kit for the snow blade for around 70 bucks and it is supposed to take the load off your leg without adversely affecting down pressure of the blade. Something to consider perhaps....

Keep thinking green!

Gord

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I like what you did to the snow blade! Cool idea with the wings and the stiffener in the back! the wings seem to be great skid shoes! I see the X304 now has a SMV sign on the back of the seat, which is a great safety addition. Good thinking! Glad the machine is working out so well for you! Those rear buckets are great for adding ballast weight for added traction by the way..... Sand works well and as an added bonus you can spread the sand over ice when you need it. Cool steering wheel spinner! I have one on my 1026r and wished I had thought of it years ago...... Makes moving a joy!

By the way, John deere sells a lift assist spring kit for the snow blade for around 70 bucks and it is supposed to take the load off your leg without adversely affecting down pressure of the blade. Something to consider perhaps....

Keep thinking green!

Gord
There is a power lift assembly is in my post above this one, it's this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just plowed about 5 inches of heavy and wet last night. the plow wings are great for the long narrow driveway I have (12'x150'), in that i can push the snow to one end or the other, without too much banking - driveway tends to get narrower as winter goes on! Glad you like the mods Gord. (Gord sold me the tractor)

I have seen the spring assist kit, and i've also seen the power lift kit - it's basically just a linear actuator that mounts in place of the manual linkage. If I can find a cheap one, maybe at princess auto (canadian harbor freight) or something, it wouldn't be too much of a chore to fab up some mounts, relays and a momentary DPDT toggle...it would even give me downpressure, such as the JD one does. But I'm going to be a student and an unpaid intern for a while this spring, so until I start making money, after spending alot of money for a few months, i will lift the plow and mower with my foot!

I am planning to build a sleeve hitch for it, and buy a brinly box blade. now before you tell me it's a lawnmower, yes I know it is and the x304 will not be doing any ground engaging. it will be for snow only, just to pull away from the lawn, doors etc. I will leave the ground engagment activities to my other tractor, but it will be swappable between units. For what it's worth, the 2006 model has the K58 transaxle, two models up from the K46 it comes with now. Given that, i don't want to kill it, so it plows snow and cuts grass. I have to do a service on the transaxle, at least change the fluid...good thing it's not under warranty, because sadly that would void it.

Yes, something to be said for living in rural Lunenburg County my friend. Throw a SMV triangle on it (or around here: onto-urr), I can drive it on the side of the road to the gas station, or wherever i have to go. cops just wave. sweet.
More to come. next time i build something i will take some pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts