Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the versatility of the 3 point hitch. I hate the variability of 3 point hitch implements. For almost 20 years we have struggled, suffered, and sworn, as we hitched and unhitched uncooperative implements like a huge brush cutter, a log splitter, and lately a wood chipper. These were all heavy beasts, and none of them seemed to be easily attached - ever.

When I bought my new 2038R a few months ago, I was ecstatic to learn of the IMatch. My hopes were dashed almost instantly though, when the salesman warned me that not all implements fit it. I was pretty sure my non John Deere stuff fit into that category. I was right.

Today, with the help of my son-in-law, I remedied that situation so that now all the things I currently own are fitted to the IMatch. I have the older version with the fixed top hook. A 3rd party mower shop had a used one for sale for $150 off the current price. And used meant "bought". There was all of one scratch on it, and it didn’t even reach all the way through the paint.

So today we spent the day cutting and welding and trying. Now my Woods chipper and my Brand X log splitter hook up with the IMatch. I think the Missus is even more excited about this than I am. She was often the one trying to horse around a recalcitrant implement while I maneuvered the machine. The only downside, and I think it is a minor one, is I have to find a slightly longer PTO shaft for the chipper. It runs, but when I lift it for travel it comes apart in the middle and becomes a pain to reattach.

On a side note, the little monsters (aka my grandsons) had a great time sitting and climbing on the tractor, asking questions, helping with tools, and best of all, feeding the chipper after we gave it some PM and fired it up. They were VERY closely supervised, and had a wonderful opportunity to learn about tools and machinery. I don’t know how well anyone can see it, but we all have ear plugs and safety glasses on.

655FD6AB-1A94-4D11-AADE-47CC2F8BBAF8.jpeg

E9077A34-468C-4E7C-A05F-D74AE180B701.jpeg

3AF3B636-C2AB-42B3-B22A-B257C5C86CB2.jpeg

5571E115-8AB7-4781-BE8E-9818D7CF7C02.jpeg

·
Administrator
20,370 Posts
Yup, I don’t buy any implements unless they are QH compatible or I’m willing to make it compatible. I still need to tweak my sickle mower to fit a bit easier.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
uhhh... some do..some just don't

My new to me chipper thing..just won't.

driveline would only have 3" of tube on either end...sounds weird but true.

Have to "park" chipper...move forward .Be sure tractor brakes are locked.

Hook up long drive shaft ..and blow chips.

I'd mount it to I msatch but drive line would still be sketchy..and I'm not sure I could pick it up.

Darn chipper is way Heavy.
And the hitch pins need to be moved to be Imatch ready:banghead:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I saw in the picture your little guys were wearing their glasses and ear plugs and thought this is great! Then when reading the post you mention that they are too. Nice job for providing them the “tools” to protect their sight and hearing. My son always wears his hearing and eye protection when we’re around the tractor. He has become a PPE enthusiast and even wears his ear plugs when running the vacuum in the house.

·
Registered
21,574 Posts
I saw in the picture your little guys were wearing their glasses and ear plugs and thought this is great! Then when reading the post you mention that they are too. Nice job for providing them the “tools” to protect their sight and hearing. My son always wears his hearing and eye protection when we’re around the tractor. He has become a PPE enthusiast and even wears his ear plugs when running the vacuum in the house.
That’s awesome! I wish someone had taught me to do that when I was younger so it became habit. Took me until a couple years ago to always wear my safety glasses and ear protection - too little too late.

I have an old shop vac that is terribly load. I have a pair of cheap protection muffs hanging right on the handle so I remember to use them every time.

I have safety glasses laying around everywhere - just like I used to have reading glasses before I started to wear regular glasses all the time. I bought a few of the over the regular glasses safety glasses a while back which work great.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
That’s awesome! I wish someone had taught me to do that when I was younger so it became habit. Took me until a couple years ago to always wear my safety glasses and ear protection - too little too late.

I have an old shop vac that is terribly load. I have a pair of cheap protection muffs hanging right on the handle so I remember to use them every time.

I have safety glasses laying around everywhere - just like I used to have reading glasses before I started to wear regular glasses all the time. I bought a few of the over the regular glasses safety glasses a while back which work great.

I always wear safety glasses when working outside. I even keep a pair in the tractor cab. Were you aware that you can get safety glasses with bifocals? All of mine are bifocal. 1.5 seems to work best for me, although I also have 2.0.

Dave

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
All my safety glasses clear and tinted have bifocals in them, which I could find ones stronger than 3.0:dunno:
Like others wear them any time I am out the door......:bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,574 Posts
I always wear safety glasses when working outside. I even keep a pair in the tractor cab. Were you aware that you can get safety glasses with bifocals? All of mine are bifocal. 1.5 seems to work best for me, although I also have 2.0.

Dave
I tried the ones with bifocals but the positioning was just off a little for me. My regular glasses have no line bifocals. So since I wear my regular glasses all the time the over glasses work very well for me. I have both clear and dark.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
She was often the one trying to horse around a recalcitrant implement while I maneuvered the machine.
Reputation points awarded for the proper and well versed use of recalcitrant. I like it when our GTT posters stretch their linguistic legs in their postings....:good2:

Good job on the implement modifications as well........:bigthumb:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts

I'd mount it to I msatch but drive line would still be sketchy..and I'm not sure I could pick it up.

Any idea what the manufacturer of your chipper intended it to fit? With that stubby of a PTO shaft, it surely would limit the options / choices. Granted, the heavier the implement, the larger the tractor needed to lift it. Larger tractors have longer 3 point arms when compared to smaller tractors.

That brings up two interesting question, I wonder what the safest short length is for a PTO shaft with the couplings and the universal joints? The shorter the shaft is it leaves very little choice for the implement and the tractor PTO to not be pretty straight in alignment.

Second, is there a standard length to 3 point arms on tractors based upon the classification of the 3 point system? In other words, are all Class 1 3 point hitch arms on various brands of tractors the same length and the same with Class 2, Class 3, etc? Even if the 3point arms are the same length from brand to brand, the design of the tractor could change the position of the PTO shaft relative to the 3 point arms length, which could cause the PTO shaft length to need to vary.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, I don’t buy any implements unless they are QH compatible or I’m willing to make it compatible. I still need to tweak my sickle mower to fit a bit easier.
I can tell you, from now on anything I look at is going to be vetted for IMatch compatibility.

Agree with everything you said and great job on starring the boys out on the right path.:good2:

Two things will make it friendlier for a lot of equipment. A hydraulic top link and the extended top hook from Kenny.

Fit Rite Hydraulics - fitritehydraulics.com

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
I may be able to swing a hydraulic top link in a while, but I thought the extended hook only worked on the newer version.

We had to do that for the log splitter. We rotated the top link attachment point 90°, and welded on some angle iron at the correct height with holes for the lift pins. If you can enlarge the pic enough, you may be able to see where we sliced the top out and rotated it, and then welded the angle iron on.

9DD4072C-7BA3-4FE9-A9EA-483B16FA9EAD.jpeg

I taught for 20 years as part of my woodworking business. I always insisted on people wearing at least eye protection. A lot of guys, usually older ones, would turn down hearing protection saying, "It’s not that loud!"

"Yeah, well, there’s a reason for that."

We also let the boys take turns with the "instant darkening" welding helmet so they could see more of the process. They are already well trained at either closing their eyes or looking away when the welder is on.

E39221EB-F1F2-4AB0-80BB-54E312FF68AA.jpeg

Me too. Chain saws, guns, and loud music did my ears in before I learned about hearing protection. Now I am religious about keeping "eyes and ears" close at hand.

Reputation points awarded for the proper and well versed use of recalcitrant. I like it when our GTT posters stretch their linguistic legs in their postings....:good2:

Good job on the implement modifications as well........:bigthumb:
Thank you. But what happens if I stretch all the way into some really awful puns? (Which I love). :laugh: :hide:

·
Administrator
20,370 Posts
Now there’s a pro forum user! Look at the multi-quote this guy pulled off! Nice job sir. :good2:

May all your future implements be QH compatible. :drinks:

·
Registered
171 Posts

PTO shafts can be cut off if that would help. If you do just cut everything evenly. If you want to shorten it 6"s take 3"s off both ends, shields and center shafts. Hack saw or saws all will do it.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I’ve had implements scattered all about the barnyard for a long time. But now everything that goes on back (except the post hole digger) fits the IMatch. It was actually fun picking stuff up and putting it down, and shuffling it all around without having to get off the tractor, swear, skin my knuckles, and pull muscles. I stuffed most of them into one of the bays of a shed next to the barn. Once I get a pile of lumber and some scrap metal from the previous resident out, I’ll have bunches of room to put implements under cover and out of sight.

Under cover is only true in a technical sense. You could throw a cat through some of the holes in the roof. We built new doors this summer since the old ones dated to the 1800s and were literally falling off. But doors were more important. This shed faces the road. I don’t need unscrupulous people coming along to do some "shopping". But anyway...

I am tickled pink. After 20 years of wrestling with implements, the IMatch has made it easy. As a bonus, after I dropped it, I picked up the backhoe in record time. That’s a first for me. It is designed to do that, but it takes practice. I’m getting there.

DC4A595E-160E-4D21-BE0B-8D84D7EA772C.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts