Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am part way through mounting brackets etc but found that the 88" long V belt is the wrong one for my 54" deck. So, I ordered a new one, 76".

Still, I have to mount the new double-sheave which I paid dearly for at the local JD store. What is the best way to do this-- removing the old sheave and replacing with new one that also runs the Powerful? My 1st inclination is to put a comp. air socket impact tool on the existing pulley's mounting nut and let 'er rip. On the other hand, there may be other considerations like taking pressure off the drive belt running the blades etc.

Anyone have some suggestions based on REAL experience?!:cool:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Yep take the belt off and take the nut off with an impact gun. The tricky part is sometimes the pulley comes off the shaft easy sometimes you'll have to use penetrating oil to get the pulley off.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just wedge the blade with a wooden block between blade tip and deck body, then use a flex handle with the proper size socket to loosen the nut. Remove the belt first.. It's not as hard to remove as you might think. The single sheave should lift right off; replace it with the double sheave, replace the nut and torque it down by shifting the wood block to the other side of the blade to keep the shaft from turning. Not sure what the torque value is, probably in the 50 ft-lb range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Fantastic replies guys.
Thank you!

This is my 1st JD, had only pushers before this used on a city lot! A big upgrade, but acres to cut vs few sq ft!

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Just wedge the blade with a wooden block between blade tip and deck body, then use a flex handle with the proper size socket to loosen the nut. Remove the belt first.. It's not as hard to remove as you might think. The single sheave should lift right off; replace it with the double sheave, replace the nut and torque it down by shifting the wood block to the other side of the blade to keep the shaft from turning. Not sure what the torque value is, probably in the 50 ft-lb range.
If He Had the right size Belt On i.t He wouldn't need to remove the Belt to do the change over Takes about 5 Minute total if that on & Off with a Impact Did the change over twice. Once on my 48C then On my 54C Never had to remove the belt to do the change over (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, when I tried it 1st time last week I had not removed the belt either. Later though, I found I could remove the belt from the sheave in about 3 seconds by pulling the idler arm back.

I also had not as yet placed 2x4 in there to hold the blade, just pumped the impact wrench a few seconds with no thread loosening. . . I probably did not let it impact long enough. It made me wonder if I rotating CCW was correct or are the shafts fitted with Left hand threads. Not wanting to wreck anything I backed off and reversed the direction on the impact, again just a few seconds-- to no avail.

SO. To be sure(!) I still should turn it CCW, right?! AND, give 'er he_ _! huh?!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Standard right hand thread. Just let the impact do its job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts