Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a jack to the front of my Z950R to make blade changes and cleaning easier when I'm nor around the shop. John Deere offers one that is very similar for about $350.00 but I built mine for less than $100.00. I saved enough to add a $100 5 gallon trash bucket mount. Both are pretty handy.
20190528_095322.jpg 20190528_095513.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know about that...being a sure safety unit. That is almost exact copy of a boat trailer jack that has been around for fifty years. Of course, the tongue of a boat trailer weighs a lot less than the front -2/3rds of a Z920M tractor. If it was me, I would build a larger foot pattern for the jack to help it be a more sturdier jack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The jack is rated at 5,000 lbs which is more than sturdy enough. I also carry a jack stand to throw under the deck when I work under it. This is just more convenient to use rather than a floor jack, engine hoist or tractor and loader to pick the front end up.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
I've been wanting to do this since we got our Z915B. :banghead:
Our Toro Z-Master had a similar jack/stand on the front and I sure do miss it.

Is your jack removable without taking the mounting bolts out?
Do you have a link to the jack you bought?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been wanting to do this since we got our Z915B. :banghead:
Our Toro Z-Master had a similar jack/stand on the front and I sure do miss it.

Is your jack removable without taking the mounting bolts out?
Do you have a link to the jack you bought?
The jack is removable with the pin in the swivel. The jack is a modified Bulldog brand 5,000 lb jack. I cut the mount off the jack and moved it up on the body of the jack to get the most usable travel out of it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
The jack is removable with the pin in the swivel. The jack is a modified Bulldog brand 5,000 lb jack. I cut the mount off the jack and moved it up on the body of the jack to get the most usable travel out of it.
NICE! :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: wentonbrown

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Added a jack to the front of my Z950R to make blade changes and cleaning easier when I'm nor around the shop. John Deere offers one that is very similar for about $350.00 but I built mine for less than $100.00. I saved enough to add a $100 5 gallon trash bucket mount. Both are pretty handy.
View attachment 692758 View attachment 692764
Looks great, job well done !!!

Reactions: Xtinctss

·
Registered
440 Posts
Xtinctss, The idea you adding a new adventure to your JD Ztrak is worth the effort. Although, one would have to think out loud the true benefits.

So, here's some thought. I don't know the dimensions on your mower, the Bulldog trailer jacks are many and very in sizes for their purpose.
My John Deere Ztrak are like this. From the arms (swivel wheels supports) across is 27"... The height from the floor (ground) to the top of the support bracket that bolts to these arms are 21" I don't know the Model number of the Bulldog jack you mentioned, but. when retracted the total length from the center of the swivel (pivot point) bracket to the floor or ground can't be over about 17". It appears in the picture(s) you supplied that the total length from the swivel bracket to the end of the foot platform is more than 21". That would indicate you would have to lift the tractor some to lower the jack when retracted top the ground. So, how did you change the jack (modified) to fit the mower?

BTW: What is the total lift on the jack you have there>

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have seen those as the dealer options. I have thought about it but I can't use it because I have the front weight bracket. I just pick it up with the FEL on my tractor then use jack stands to secure it.

For what it is worth, the FEL on my X585 can pick up probably around 500 lbs. Way less than 1000 so if the jack is rated for 5000 you are good. The front end on these are pretty light and almost all the weight is carried on the rear axle as it is needed for traction and steering.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Oh a question, what do you have for lights on that and how did you mount and hook them up?

While I don't mow in the summer much at night, leaf collection gets tough in the fall when the sun is going down at 4-5PM. I know there is the dealer option for that and a cutout somewhere in the panel for the switch. Just didn't know if those were the JD ones or not.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Trash, I live along a State Highway and mow the ditch so I get to pick up all the beer bottles, cigarette packs, chew cans, and fast food bags when I mow.
Its too bad you can't throw away the TRASH that threw the trash out their window in the first place. Its disgusts me when riding in the transport vans up to the VA or Danville, as I sit so much higher than being in my truck, I can see over the gaurd rails and down into the medians and see more of the trash that you can't see normally. Pa needs to step it up on busting these people or the trash trucks that are hauling the trash and stuff blowing out all the time. Its sad that people come out of the cities to get away from stuff like that or from foreign countries and just don't care... Same goes for the locals that do it to. Pick it up and take it with you! I have a huge problem with people who smoke and throw their butts on the ground.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a Mo Jack...lifts 2000 lbs. that I use to clean under the mower decks and also change the blades. I also use the Mo Jack to lift my JD 345 tractor. Easy to drive on the jack pads and install the straps for safety.

I agree with ...sennister on seeing these at the John Deere dealer. One time last year I was at my dealer and the salesman was pitching to me to buy their JD #BUC 10584 model that was selling for $220.00 I looked at what he was selling, and from all points their Jack was nothing but a Bulldog brand with a special bracket welded on the round pivot metal item. If you go online and check out the Bulldog Model #15488 you can buy it for $82.00 and free shipping. Also, go online and buy you a 4" x 4" x 1/4" steel plate for $1.69 ea. plus $8.00 for shipping and have the pivot item and the metal 4" x 4" piece welded, with that you can have the same Zero Turn jack for less than $100.00

And if you have a rattle can of the famous John Deere paint... paint that dude and there you have it... a real $220.00 BUC10584 Zero Turn lift jack

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
The mounted pivot is the big thing with the Deere jack. It allows the jack to be straight up and down when in use. The pivot mount is designed to compensate for the angle of the steel where it attaches to the front of the mower.

r4d117006_z994r_19_jack_upright_350s.jpg

Reactions: trboxman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have compensated for the angle on mine like the JD one. The swivel mount was made by welding two jack pivot tubes together and then cutting them to the correct angle. I used the weld on swivel mount that came with the jack and bought an additional identical one. Another thing that can't be seen in my picture is the plate on the back side of the mount to reinforce the area around the mower frame. The plates are spring perches for a trailer that were hanging on the rack 5 feet away from the jack at Tractor Supply. Using these plates saved me some fabrication time on this project. Those are 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts that are holding the whole assembly to the mower. When these pictures were taken it had some grade 5 and grade 8s but they have all been changed now. The machine is more than stable when lifted to the max height. I cut the mount off the jack tube and re welded it in the correct position to get the max lift out of it. This was accomplished by retracting the jack all the way and the extending it 2 to 3 turns while holding it next to the previous cut piece to get a mark on the tube for the new location of the mount. Once everything was welded and tested i disassembled the jack and removed the mount and painted them with JD green from my local dealer. I like the JD green better than the gray the jack was to begin with and I didn't want it to stick out like the black JD jack. My Z950R is a 2013 model that didn't have any holes in this area of the frame but I noticed the new Z9XXX at the dealer have the holes in the frame for the jack now. I think this should answer all the questions that everyone had up to this point.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Oh yeah the lights are some a buddy gave me he got off Amazon. They work okay but they need to be mounted higher. I have a 24 inch light bar on the ROPS that I got from Amazon that works the best. The switch mounts in the cutout on the instrument panel that was there, feel around its under the decal. My work schedule sometimes forces me to mow at odd hrs. If you look at my picture to the left you will see the light bar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts