Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have needed a smaller sized trailer for hauling smaller loads. I wanted something to easily load the zero turn or even my tractor if needed for an immediate area trip. While I could haul my tractor on this new trailer to the service center if needed, I prefer to haul my tractor on the tandem axle larger trailer if I have to travel any distance or use the interstate highways.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to find an aluminum, high quality trailer in this size range. Most trailers shown on websites and in ads are not in stock. In fact, the dealer I got this trailer from usually keeps 30 open utility trailers in stock. This trailer arrived at the dealer at 11am, they called me once they knew it was there. I drove down and picked it up within an hour. While I was there hooking it up, three other customers stopped by looking for small utility trailers. One offered to buy my trailer from me for a "reasonable profit" before I had even hauled it off the lot. No thanks, I need the trailer more than the $100 extra he offered me.

Here are some of the details of the trailer.

74" x 120" deck size.
3,500lb Dexter Axle
Trailer weighs 750 pounds
2" Ball Hitch
Folding loading ramp and not a "mesh" gate (which is what I didn't want as most are rated for less than 1,000 pounds)
15" Radial Tires, Steel Wheels
LED Lights, harness built with heat shrink connectors, not Scotchlocks
Grommeted frame holes for wiring to pass through

Here is the trailer hooked up as I believe they should be.
  • Note the crossed non twisted safety chains hooked OVER the chain connecting point on the hitch so they can't drop off when extended.
  • Adjustable safety chains with spring loaded clevises on trailer end of chains to accommodate the different towing vehicles.
  • 2" Hitch ball greased with Hitch ball grease before connected, especially for a new trailer.
  • The 12v light cord supported by the hitch safety pin so it can't droop or get tangled.
  • A 7 way to 4 pin electrical connector adapter which locks into the tow vehicle plug using a safety tab.
  • The tongue jack fully lifted and the jack handle locked down.
  • The jack pad secured with a safety pin and locking clip.
  • The ball mount the correct height based upon the trailer tongue height to keep the deck level when being hauled, instead of the tongue being higher than the rear of the trailer when towed.......all things which have been discussed in various towing threads. etc.

properhitch.jpg

Sulley Bear (the real one) is carefully inspecting the new trailer.......

trailerside.jpg

Here is a close look at one of the tie downs. Note the weld quality......

trailertiedown.jpg

Right side of trailer with spare tire carrier and back up supervision arriving on scene via Beasley......

Trailerrtside.jpg

Trailer frame welds....
trailerframewelds.jpg

Rear Loading Bi-Fold ramp

trailerrampgate.jpg

Spare tire Mount

trailersparetiremt.jpg

Rear Loading Ramp Latch Mechanism

trailergatelatch.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I like the latch mechanism for the ramps. My el-cheapo steel trailer ramp has pins that just pull out and you then lose them somewhere on the ground in the dirt. The supervisor / furmissile there seems to approve of this trailer as well.

The only thing I disagree with is looping the wiring harness through the safety pin. I don't think anything but the safety pin should be connected to the safety pin. Anything else, like wiring or cables is putting pressure on the already cheezy locking gizmo that could prematurely fail it and compromise the locking pin staying put. Or snag and yank the pin out completely. I prefer to just use a tie wrap or velcro to secure the wiring out of the way on its own.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Welds do look nice. I, as you, also appreciate nice looking welds.
Pic #3 , the weld on the RH side shows some cold lapping though.

But overall nice looking trailer.
What brand?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Nice trailer, Sully!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Looks clean no matter how you look at it Sulley.👍👍

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You forgot the most important answer, How much? I have been in the same hunt around here, smaller trailers are rare and used ones are more than new. Dbl axle equipment trailers are all over the place used at fair prices or less.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Nice. Are the inspectors appeased?

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Are the inspectors appeased?
Inspectors give it two paws up............

What a difference a week makes in Michigan this time of year. Look at Beasley one week before at the same time of the day.....

beasersnow.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Nice trailer sulley. (y) I'd maybe support the wiring harness a little different but overall the same thing as I do hooking it up.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You forgot the most important answer, How much? I have been in the same hunt around here, smaller trailers are rare and used ones are more than new. Dbl axle equipment trailers are all over the place used at fair prices or less.
Out the door tax, title, plates, etc, $2,671.30......... I did go to the trailer capital of the World to get it, in Elkhart, Indiana......

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What brand?
Quality Steel and Aluminum Trailers

I couldn't believe that everywhere I went, there were dozens of dump trailers. There wasn't a single lot which I visited that had less than 6 dump trailers and there was one lot, I bet they had 30 dump trailers on their lot. This dealer had a dozen dump trailers between 7k and 14k in GVWR.

I would bet I saw 140 dump trailers yesterday, maybe 20 steel utility trailers in this size range and one other Aluminum Utility Trailer, but I didn't care for the quality. There are also a lot of the large Goose Neck Utility / Equipment Trailers in inventory around Elkhart. The dealer where I picked this up had 6 or 8 of the large goose neck trailers in stock. Somehow, the industry went on a dump trailer building binge and now they sure have an inventory of those in the Elkhart area.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Nice looking trailer. Would be even nicer with an aluminum tread plate floor.

You might want to trade the jack for a swivel unit mounted on the side of the tongue. I had one of those bolt in jobs on my car trailer and hated it. Couldn't open the truck tailgate with the trailer connected.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nice looking trailer. 👍 Glad your inspector approved. 😉

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nice trailer, looks lightweight and well built. Is there really any advantage to greasing your balls? I've never even considered it. Do I just ask for ball grease at the local auto parts store? I was just there today and could have asked for advice on greasing my balls but didn't think of it at the time, darn.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Nice looking trailer. Would be even nicer with an aluminum tread plate floor.

You might want to trade the jack for a swivel unit mounted on the side of the tongue. I had one of those bolt in jobs on my car trailer and hated it. Couldn't open the truck tailgate with the trailer connected.
can't u get a longer hitch for ur receiver---?
Nice trailer, looks lightweight and well built. Is there really any advantage to greasing your balls? I've never even considered it. Do I just ask for ball grease at the local auto parts store? I was just there today and could have asked for advice on greasing my balls but didn't think of it at the time, darn.
do u use a old cut tennis ball to cover ur greased ball then---i tried it one time as i thought it should be greased-same a tractor trailers trailer plate.

but it got real messy and it covered me-so i quit greasing it-i spray PBlaster under and on the trailer part--19 yrs on my mid-altantic 16ft landscaper-still same hitch on trailer-and i have used it hard-other people have borrowed it a lot thru the yrs. so i don't think it needs greased so to say-but i think the locking part should be sprayed often

Reactions: trav and SulleyBear

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would like to be there when you ask about greasing your balls! Sounds kind of like muffler bearings. Nice trailer

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Nice trailer! Have you considered adding brakes to it?

As for towing with dry balls, I always put a light coat of whatever grease I have handy on the ball. It makes it quieter and prevents metal to metal contact and wear.
@Manomet if you ask for ball lube here’s what you’ll get- it’s a real thing.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Nice trailer Sulleybear 👍

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Nice quality trailer. The nice welds say a lot. Enjoy the addition to the fleet

1 - 20 of 29 Posts