Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had some extra time so I started the process of adding some sidemarker lighting to my 1025R. This is something that I've often wondered why tractor manufacturers leave off since they are essential for being seen from the side at night. Forward facing headlamps and Rear facing tail/stop/turn lamps don't always alert traffic approaching from the side to what direction you're traveling -which is why front sidemarker lights are always amber and rear sidemarker lights are always red (even when the rear turn signal lights are amber). So today, I got the rear sidemarker lights installed. Tomorrow I'm gonna install the front sidemarker lights. Here's a few pictures...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:good2::good2::good2::good2:

Well done.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Looks great. I ordered some small flashing strobes for snow plowing and salt spreading. I saw someone put them on a orange tractor so I ordered several colors off of eBay. I was amazed how cheap they were. Shipped from China and I had them in a week. I got white, Amber, yellow, & green. I will post after I play with them after my surgery this Wednesday my son flipped out over the green and yellow. That side marker looked great:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got around to snapping some photos of the front sidemarker lamps that I installed the weekend after I installed the rears.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Nice job Ken!

Ken, do you drive on the road a lot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ken, do you drive on the road a lot?
No, I'm not a truck driver or anything like that. I work in the auto industry as a supplier of headlamps and tail lamps (and all other types of transportation lighting), so I'm immersed in lighting-related topics for the global transportation industry all the time -which means my professional life is all about what happens on the road (primarily at night!).

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
No, I'm not a truck driver or anything like that. I work in the auto industry as a supplier of headlamps and tail lamps (and all other types of transportation lighting), so I'm immersed in lighting-related topics for the global transportation industry all the time -which means my professional life is all about what happens on the road (primarily at night!).
Sorry Ken, I meant, Do you drive your tractor on the road a lot at night?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Ken, I meant, Do you drive your tractor on the road a lot at night?

LOL! Not a lot, really. It's just that I store some of my stuff in my neighbors shed across the street, so I have to drive about 50 yards down the road from my driveway to his whenever I need something (twice a week maybe), and it's very DARK at night in the rural area where I live (with no street lights), and people zip down my winding road faster than they should.... so I've had a couple close calls.

PLUS... I work in the transportation lighting industry, whose goal it is to make sure vehicles have the requisite amount of conspicuity at night, so there's that! :laugh:
:lolol:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
LOL! Not a lot, really. It's just that I store some of my stuff in my neighbors shed across the street, so I have to drive about 50 yards down the road from my driveway to his whenever I need something (twice a week maybe), and it's very DARK at night in the rural area where I live (with no street lights), and people zip down my winding road faster than they should.... so I've had a couple close calls.

PLUS... I work in the transportation lighting industry, whose goal it is to make sure vehicles have the requisite amount of conspicuity at night, so there's that! :laugh:
:lolol:
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Today I had some extra time so I started the process of adding some sidemarker lighting to my 1025R. This is something that I've often wondered why tractor manufacturers leave off since they are essential for being seen from the side at night. Forward facing headlamps and Rear facing tail/stop/turn lamps don't always alert traffic approaching from the side to what direction you're traveling -which is why front sidemarker lights are always amber and rear sidemarker lights are always red (even when the rear turn signal lights are amber). So today, I got the rear sidemarker lights installed. Tomorrow I'm gonna install the front sidemarker lights. Here's a few pictures...
I like the size and style of these rear LED's. Where did you get them/brand? :unknown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I like the size and style of these rear LED's. Where did you get them/brand? :unknown:
Amazon.com: "Partsam 4x Waterproof Amber/Red 4LED Side Marker Light for Trailer Truck Boat DC12V - Slim Waist"

https://goo.gl/BxuEyd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice work! Do the lights have two-sided mounting tape or are they bolted in place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know this thread is old but with the cold dark nights in the offing I am looking to make my tractor a little more visible.
I have a cab with front and rear spotlights but I'd like to make it a little more visible from the side as I'll be out in the mornings and evenings blowing snow.
I won't be driving it on the road but anytime I am at the end of my driveway cleaning it up I want to be visible as much as possible to avoid any issues.

Some good ideas in this thread. :good2:

I'll post up whatever I come up with for mine.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I know this thread is old but with the cold dark nights in the offing I am looking to make my tractor a little more visible.
I have a cab with front and rear spotlights but I'd like to make it a little more visible from the side as I'll be out in the mornings and evenings blowing snow.
I won't be driving it on the road but anytime I am at the end of my driveway cleaning it up I want to be visible as much as possible to avoid any issues.

Some good ideas in this thread. :good2:

I'll post up whatever I come up with for mine.
I had the same concerns a number of years ago. I blow snow down my driveway and across the county road into the ditch. So I'm in the county road at the end of every pass. With my former 455 and no front wheel assist, if I got to far across the road, the front wheels went over the edge of the pavement and there was ice on the road the chains wouldn't bite into, I was really exposing myself to oncoming traffic. Most of the time, I was blowing snow early in the morning, when it was dark. So I needed something to catch the attention of approaching motorists.

The 455 only had a 20 amp alternator, so current drain was a major consideration, also. A side marker lamp or something similar just wasn't visible very far in blowing snow and I desired something that would alert a motorist and give them time to react. I finally settled on a rooftop beacon strobe as they definitely have great visibility from a distance in blowing snow and the current drain was acceptable. Here is what I utilized:

https://www.zoro.com/federal-signal-strobe-light-perm-mt-amber-220105-02/i/G3187371/

Zoro has a 15 to 25% off promos that run frequently. I'll be ordering two more of these during their Labor Day 25% off promo for the new 1025R cab roofs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice work! Do the lights have two-sided mounting tape or are they bolted in place?
Woops! Sorry for the LONG delay in replying. I don't recall geting an automatic notice that there was a question.

Both the amber and red sidemarker lights are identical (each just has a different color outer lens with different color LEDs). And each outer lens has a tab on the end that snaps into the black base. The back base has two screw holes in it that are hidden when the lens is snapped on. For the rears (red), I used two screws to hold each lamp in place on the tail lamp (drilled corresponding holes through the tail lamps housings). But for the amber fronts I simply used a heavy duty two-sided tape because I didn't want to drill into my grille guard (in case I found a better light later that I might want to swap-in).

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts