Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 5085M that I ordered new with 3 rear and 3 mid SCV's. That is works out most of the time, but I have a 3-way rear hydraulic blade and also a hydraulic top link, so I need 4 rear SCV's.

This is my setup:

I have a power beyond loop. Could that be used to add a 4th valve somehow?

Alternatively, perhaps I could run a pair of extension hoses to the 3rd function mid SCV (normally operated my grabble)? That way I could do the off-set function using the switch on the FEL joystick.

Any suggestions on how to best add a 4th rear SCV are most welcome.

Thanks!

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After giving it some additional thought, I think tapping into the 3rd mid SCV is the way to go. Here's the mid block:

The red arrow points to a tee that I installed when adding a nitrogen accumulator to cushion the FEL when carrying a heavy load.

So I would need 2 more of those tee's to tap into the 3rd function for the front.

At the back, I'm thinking I'll remove the power beyond plumbing to bring it back to stock, but leave the bracket since it has 2 holes cut in it already that I can then use to the 2 female couplings for the 4th SCV,

2 7' hoses should comfortably get me from the mid SCV's to the power beyond bracket.

Time for some research to figure out some part numbers.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
I agree, simplest would be to TEE into your mid valve's 3rd function.
Cheapest would be put longer hoses on the function you want to use (I vote top link) and connect to mid valve's 3rd function quick couplers. If you have a single point/multi-coupler, add quick couplers to the 3rd function lines.

Reactions: crazydane

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got 2 Tees on order with the dealer. $52 each. Ouch. Once they come in, they will make up a pair of hoses with matching fittings on the Tee end and fittings to go to 1/2" quick disconnect female couplers on the other end.

I have a single point 6 way coupler that I prefer to leave alone, so doing 2 Tees on the mid SCV block is my preference. It will also look cleaner I think.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It's amazing how quickly 3 SCVs aren't enough. I have the same issue so I'm interested in how this works out for you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Quick-Connect couplers (part RE255758) are around $112 each from the dealer.

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket units like these:

$17 is a lot more attractive than $112 and that even includes the male end as well.

Are they complete junk compared to the OEM ones, or are they decent?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the Power Beyond kit and took a closer look at the Quick-Connect coupler that was installed in the bracket. It is indeed a 1/2", but with a different housing. So I just need to get one more of those to have what will look like a factory installed 4th SCV.

Here it is installed in the bracket:

It just takes 2 snap rings to securely hold it in place.

So the parts needed so far are:

2x TEEs (don't have part number for this one yet, but will tomorrow when I pick it up)
2x Quick-Connect couplers RE322903 $95.90 from GPS
2x Snap Rings R120797 $4.25 from GPS
1x Bracket R252725 $90.68 from GPS

And 2x hoses with the proper connectors on the ends. This is the type I'll be using:

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Got 2 Tees on order with the dealer. $52 each. Ouch. Once they come in, they will make up a pair of hoses with matching fittings on the Tee end and fittings to go to 1/2" quick disconnect female couplers on the other end.

I have a single point 6 way coupler that I prefer to leave alone, so doing 2 Tees on the mid SCV block is my preference. It will also look cleaner I think.
I am guessing the valve port must be metric by the price of the tee.
An ORFS x ORB run tee should be about $10.
The above tees would replace the adapter on the valve to the hose fitting.
An ORFS x ORFS female swivel nut run tee, also about $10. You would install between the adapter on the valve port and current hose. IIRC, that's what I used to run hoses back from my mid valve third function to the rear on my JD 6415

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
The Quick-Connect couplers (part RE255758) are around $112 each from the dealer.

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket units like these:

$17 is a lot more attractive than $112 and that even includes the male end as well.

Are they complete junk compared to the OEM ones, or are they decent?
I would not put anything NPT for hydraulics on my tractors

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Of course they dealer ordered the wrong Tee fittings. They ordered part # 38H5030. I thought they looked a little on the large size and when he went to match up fitting to them for hydraulic hoses, they were like 3/4", so clearly way too big. I told him not to make the hoses up just yet since I felt something wasn't right.

I took the Tee fittings home and tried to put them on the tractor, and sure enough, they were too big except for the part that went into the SCV mid block.

Did some additional research and was finally able to track down the proper page on the deere website:

Tee part # 38H1039
Adapter fitting part # DC38813
O-Rings part # T77857

They are getting the correct items shipped overnight so they will be there tomorrow. The Tee fittings are $30.21 at GPS, so $20 cheaper than the larger T fittings, but the adapter fittings are $17 each, so it is more or less a wash.

This is proving to be way more difficult (and expensive) than I thought, but I have pretty much committed at this point.

If I do this again down the road, I'm going to see about locating a hydraulic shop so I don't have to pay Deere prices for this stuff.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Of course they dealer ordered the wrong Tee fittings. They ordered part # 38H5030. I thought they looked a little on the large size and when he went to match up fitting to them for hydraulic hoses, they were like 3/4", so clearly way too big. I told him not to make the hoses up just yet since I felt something wasn't right.

I took the Tee fittings home and tried to put them on the tractor, and sure enough, they were too big except for the part that went into the SCV mid block.

Did some additional research and was finally able to track down the proper page on the deere website:

View attachment 796134

Tee part # 38H1039
Adapter fitting part # DC38813
O-Rings part # T77857

They are getting the correct items shipped overnight so they will be there tomorrow. The Tee fittings are $30.21 at GPS, so $20 cheaper than the larger T fittings, but the adapter fittings are $17 each, so it is more or less a wash.

This is proving to be way more difficult (and expensive) than I thought, but I have pretty much committed at this point.

If I do this again down the road, I'm going to see about locating a hydraulic shop so I don't have to pay Deere prices for this stuff.
I think I would have ordered an ORFS TEE, two male ends, and a female swivel nut on the branch or run, depending on which would work better. Attach it to your current adapter. I am guessing your loader hoses are -08 (1/2") ORFS female swivel nut on the hose end.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
i am watching this closely also ......would be nice to have a 4th out back on my 5105m on the 3rd function joystick button......and i also have the 6 port single point connector i wouldnt want to mess with ..... (y) 🚜

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Zebrafive Yeah, I if knew more about hydraulic fittings and was confident in what I had, I'm sure I would have gotten much cheaper parts elsewhere. Heck, even the dealer didn't know the correct TEEs to order so I finally figured out that by looking up my H260 loader, I was able to found the proper part numbers for the accumulator and hence the needed TEEs and adapter fittings. The dealer gets to eat the cost of overnight shipping on the parts that were wrong.

They have a station in the back where they make up custom hydraulic hoses, so once the correct fittings arrives, we will be making those up. I'll see if I can get the specs/part numbers for the components they use so that anyone else interested can source all the needed parts from a less expensive source than the local Deere dealer.

They have 4 guys at the parts counter and I'm on a first name basis with all of them now, lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it has been a trying few days and we have still not been able to come up with the correct parts. The quick connect couplings I wanted to use on the PB bracket have a 22mm male thread on the backend and apparently no adapter exists that will convert this to -08 that I can then use with a 3/8 hose with a mating -08 connector on it. The only thing in the John Deere catalog that works with those are the hard line tubing that is part of the PB kit, and it will also screw directly into SCV valve blocks, that's it. My Deere dealer had a hydraulic shop look into it, and they came back empty handed as well. So we ended up just making up a pair of hoses with regular Pioneer quick connects. This means the quick connect couplings won't be able to be retained in the PB bracket like I had hoped, but I guess that's not the end of the world.

Issue #2 is that the Tee's and adapters that were ordered won't work either. From the diagram below:

Item #4 and #16 are wrong. We need item #26 instead. So those have now been ordered overnight and will be here tomorrow. After taking a picture last night of the existing Tee I have, I feel pretty good that #26 is the right one.

Here's a shot of the part of the workshop where they make hoses:

That grinder looking thing in the front left is what they use the cut the hose. Once cut, they blow a rubber ball through the hose to clean out any shaving from cutting it and any residual dirt that might be in there.

Crimping on the connectors is done with that machine at the end of the other and of the bench. Closeup of the label on it:

Looking away from the bench, it looks like they won't run low on Hy-Guard anytime soon. :)

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll finally have the 4th SCV added.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Discount Hydraulic Hose has 22mm male to -08 (1/2") male 37° JIC adapters. Then you could adapt 37° JIC to -08 male ORFS for your hose fitting, to keep the hose fittings ORFS, OR have an 08 female 37° swivel nut hose fitting put on the quick coupler hose ends.
They also have 22mm male to -10 (5/8") male ORFS adapters, which, with a reducing adapter, could be converted to -08 ORFS male, to match your hose fittings.

Has the hydraulic shop determined the port size of your valve?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So the quick couplers I would like to use are 22mm male. The hoses that they already made up are 3/8" with a 1/2" male NTP on the end that goes to the quick connect.

So a pair of these might fit the bill?

The quick connect coupler 22mm male end looks like this:

You stated earlier that you would not put anything NPT on your tractors. Using Teflon paste (not tape), why not?

They guy that made up the cables for me said they use NPT all the time on all kind of Deere equipment, even the big stuff, and never had a real issue with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
I ASSUMED your QCs were female threads when I suggested those adapters.
The adapter you posted is male on the NPT end, same as your hose end, so you would need still another adapter, female/female NPT coupler. Unless your hose ends are female swivel NPT (see second attachment)

I consider NPT, "one time use". Part of the way they seal is the threads distort. I do not want to use sealant of any kind. I want to the able to change a hose or coupler in the field with swivel fittings and no sealant required. ORFS would be my first choice, JIC my second. I assumed, since you were having hoses made, you would keep everything ORFS, like the rest of your hoses on your loader. (see first attachment)
Rectangle Font Circle Paper Art
Household hardware Tool Font Nut Composite material
Rectangle Font Circle Paper Art
Household hardware Tool Font Nut Composite material
Product Font Line Rectangle Parallel

The couplers you pictured do not look like the male ends are removable. Have you checked if JD offers a different coupler, with a different thread option, but still snap ring attached?

This adapter might work for hoses with female swivel JIC hoses. (see third attachment)

If your hoses have female swivel NPT you can use the adapters you found. If not, you need a female NPT coupler. (see second attachment)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate the additional feedback. I did spent some time reading up on NTP/NTPF and saw the same thing about NTPF only being good for a single assembly before needing to use a sealant of some sort and also that those threads are not really recommended for hydraulic lines these days.

I did end up ordering those 22mm female to 1/2" male NTPF. I did not see where they offered 22mm female to 1/2" NTPF female. Like you said, I'll need to get some female to female NTP/NTPF couplers once they come in.

So I did finally get the correct Tee fittings from the dealer this morning and started to install them. The first thing I realized is that I had to remove the 3rd function speed adjustment valve to allow the Tee fittings to be screwed in. So here's a shot with everything in the top row removed:

And here are all the pieces going back in:

The 2 fittings in the front are what were screwed into the block from the factory. They are re-used and are screwed into the female threads on the Tees. Those Tees weren't cheap. $73.16 each! You can also see the speed adjustment valve.

Everything re-installed with the Tee fittings:

At this point I realized 2 things:

1. My hoses had male 08 ORFS fittings like the Tee's and I need female ones (the Tee's that I returned were just the opposite)
2. I need a 45 degree 08 ORFS for the right most hose in order to clear the hard line pipe above it.

So back to the dealer I went. He did not have female to female SRFS adapters, so we cut off the ends on the hoses, and put on the proper female ORFS fittings.

So now I was finally able to complete everything at the mid block end:

Until the 22mm adapters show up, I'm just using the Pioneer quick connects:

It works!

Did some much needed re-grading on a steeply sloped access road to make sure I had no leaks:

No issues at all. Doing the offset via the FEL 3rd function button worked fine. I did slow it down just a bit via the adjustment valve:

Pic of the whole thing:

At least now I can complete the grading project and once the 22mm adapters get here, I'll be able to clean up the 4th SCV mounting.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
When I added rear Quick Couplers from my 3rd function of my mid valve. , I used ones with female SAE/ORB threads. On the bracket, I used a JIC bulkhead fitting. You can put an O-ring on a JIC then install an SAE/ORB female, they are the same threads.
I also put a couple of high pressure ball valves. Then hoses to the 3rd function of the mid valve. The ball valves are not really needed, they just let me leave the hydraulic top link connected when I want to use the grapple.
Azure Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice. Didn't realize you could put an O-ring on a JIC and then use a ORB fitting. I was thinking about getting ball valves for the 4th rear SCV's, but it would be very rare for me to have the grapple on the front and the blade on the rear. When I have the grapple on the front, I almost always have either the Bush Hog, stump grinder or rear grapple mounted, and those only take 2 sets. But to cover all the bases, I can see how it would be handy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.