Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering where it mounts, if anyone has any pictures or insight on how and where it installs.
I have the kit ordered from the local Deere dealer this morning. As with anything Deere it had a healthy $140 price tag for the kit.

Just curious how and where it mounts. I will likely need to get an extension cord in order to reach from my Dump trailer to where ever it mounts on the tractor.

Also I am thinking I am going to use my HH 3pt hitch receiver to hitch the trailer to the tractor.
So I know I will need an extension to reach the plug.

Reactions: JDLTG

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: JDLTG

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am told the Deere 7 pin is the old round pin style that the more common 7 pin on most trucks and trailers will need an adapter.

Any details on this would be great.
I think this is the adapter they were talking about.

Reactions: ridesdirt and JimR

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
620 Posts
Yes, my John Deere 4 series and 6 series tractors, as well as my Kenworth truck and 20 ton equipment trailer all use the more robust 7 pin trailer connector with round pins. I have seen the flat pin connectors used on light duty equipment like pickups.

·
Super Moderator
6,998 Posts
I am told the Deere 7 pin is the old round pin style that the more common 7 pin on most trucks and trailers will need an adapter.

Any details on this would be great.
I think this is the adapter they were talking about.
That's a fact. All of the Deere 7-pin connectors are the round pin "Ag" connector. If you are connecting an RV or trailer that uses flat pin connectors you need the adapter.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a fact. All of the Deere 7-pin connectors are the round pin "Ag" connector. If you are connecting an RV or trailer that uses flat pin connectors you need the adapter.
I had no idea, there was more then one style 7 pin till today.
I remember the the old 6 pin round that was pretty common on trailers back in the 80s early 90s.
Seems most trailers I have owned over the past 20 years or so all have been 7 pin but the RV style found on most any pickup sold in the past 20 years.
I ordered an adapter today.

·
Registered
3046R, 320R loader, 375A BH, 72D MMM, 4406H BB, County Line Landscape Rake, Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer
133 Posts
Just wondering where it mounts, if anyone has any pictures or insight on how and where it installs.
I have the kit ordered from the local Deere dealer this morning. As with anything Deere it had a healthy $140 price tag for the kit.

Just curious how and where it mounts. I will likely need to get an extension cord in order to reach from my Dump trailer to where ever it mounts on the tractor.

Also I am thinking I am going to use my HH 3pt hitch receiver to hitch the trailer to the tractor.
So I know I will need an extension to reach the plug.
I would be extremely leery of using the 3ph to pull any kind of dump trailer. When you dump the bed it will transfer the weight of the load to the back of the trailer and cause the 3ph and tongue of the trailer to pitch upwards because they don't have any downforce built into them. They're only designed to lift, not hold down.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
☝ this, agreed!

If the tractor is heavy enough, use the drawbar.

Reactions: ZoomerHD

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have feeling even if I could get a ball setup on that drawbar, that it would be way to low to the ground.
Where I was thinking I cold control the tow height with the 3pt and should I have some issues with the trailer’s lift struggling, then I could pickup 3pt to max height and maybe assist the trailer's lifting mechanism by improving the angle a bit.

I spoke with Heavy hitch today, he suppose to get back with my today or tomorrow with a recommendation as to rather that 3pt receiver hitch will handle a couple thousand pounds of tonged weight.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
You might want to try adding a hitch receiver on your drawbar like this.

Dave

·
Administrator
22,931 Posts
Adding a check-chain or two from the top of the HH down to the drawbar or tie down slots is easy and would solve any lifting issues.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Adding a check-chain or two from the top of the HH down to the drawbar or tie down slots is easy and would solve any lifting issues.
agreed, that should work.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
How is that thing secured? Does it have a pin through the drawbar somehow or just by those U bolts?
Just the Ubolts

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the JD 7 pin kit yesterday and installed it last night, simple as could be.
Took maybe 10 min.

Hooked up the trailer to pull it inside the building . Had to work on making some repairs to the trailer after I tore it up a little getting stuck last Monday. The rear spreader gate is at least closed , but not likely functional. But I never use it anyway.

Still need to put on the chains , extension cords and 7 pin adapter .

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Hey cc1999. I would think about adding a brake controller to that plug, along with the limiting chains Kenny said. Just have to find the brake light wire to activate the controller.

Allen.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I would think his trailer has the brake controller on it. I know mine does. And the brake light connection is already available in the plug. Mine was plug and go.

·
Administrator
22,931 Posts
I would think his trailer has the brake controller on it. I know mine does. And the brake light connection is already available in the plug. Mine was plug and go.
I've never seen a "controller" mounted on a trailer before. Breakaway switch and batteries...but never the controller.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey cc1999. I would think about adding a brake controller to that plug, along with the limiting chains Kenny said. Just have to find the brake light wire to activate the controller.

Allen.
There really not any hills, I am not leaving the property with it, so it won't see more then 2-5mph at the most.
I am not really worried about the brakes.
I only wanted the plug to supply power to the battery for the hydraulics on the dump trailer, so I don't have to worry about killing the battery.

Reactions: Kennyd
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.