Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gizmo2 suggested that I post my progress as I begin this small adventure. I have a 10x16 shed that I am going to add 10 foot lean to on the side. I work days and move kinda slow on things around here but will try to keep adding pics as I slowly progress. Any hoo here ya go Gizmo2.

IMG_20160620_150410593.jpg
IMG_20160620_150456148.jpg
IMG_20160620_152854213.jpg
IMG_20160620_152917314.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share with us! I really like following along with everyone's projects.
What he said ↑↑↑ :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Gizmo2 suggested that I post my progress as I begin this small adventure. I have a 10x16 shed that I am going to add 10 foot lean to on the side. I work days and move kinda slow on things around here but will try to keep adding pics as I slowly progress. Any hoo here ya go Gizmo2.

View attachment 198217
View attachment 198225
View attachment 198201
View attachment 198209
Not sure of your marital status but refreshing to see someone doing their own work for a change(i.e., daughter/wife not digging holes, filling holes, etc). :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol my wife helps out but sometimes it's better for her to take pics

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
The grade difference is certainly going to give you the opportunity for some head room in your lean to. Does the barn now set on pilings? Just curious how the barn is positioned there. Couldn't really tell with the lattice, which is probably part of the point of the lattice.

Did you stick build the barn there? The thing around here for the last few years is the pre built buildings where they drop them on site with a special delivery cart. A friend of mine sells these storage buildings to supplement his retirement income and he has a group of Amish who build them. They have a really slick hydraulic cart setup with large balloon type tires for delivery so not to tear up the lawn, etc. The cart operates on it's own and doesn't need to be hooked to a tow vehicle in the lawn.

I asked my friend the other day if they still stick build on site or are all of his buildings now pre built and dropped off. He told me that the crew will stick build on site but it is 18% over the cost of a building which is pre built and delivered to site.

Thanks for sharing your project with us......:bigthumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grade difference is certainly going to give you the opportunity for some head room in your lean to. Does the barn now set on pilings? Just curious how the barn is positioned there. Couldn't really tell with the lattice, which is probably part of the point of the lattice.

Did you stick build the barn there? The thing around here for the last few years is the pre built buildings where they drop them on site with a special delivery cart. A friend of mine sells these storage buildings to supplement his retirement income and he has a group of Amish who build them. They have a really slick hydraulic cart setup with large balloon type tires for delivery so not to tear up the lawn, etc. The cart operates on it's own and doesn't need to be hooked to a tow vehicle in the lawn.

I asked my friend the other day if they still stick build on site or are all of his buildings now pre built and dropped off. He told me that the crew will stick build on site but it is 18% over the cost of a building which is pre built and delivered to site.

Thanks for sharing your project with us......:bigthumb:
You have a sharp eye, yes the little shed is on block and was built on site...several years ago. I am gathering up some wood to complete and have have vacation the week after the 4th and planning on working more on it then. Thanks so much! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Progress so far

I got a little time to work on the lean to yesterday, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for looking.

IMG_20160624_134123163.jpg
IMG_20160624_134130471.jpg
IMG_20160624_123256643.jpg IMG_20160624_123131264.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good papaw1962.:thumbup1gif:
Planning any bridging?
Thanks Guys, I honestly hadn't thought about it but duh! Yes I will do that tomorrow, I have not done this before so.... do I just randomly stagger between the rafters? They are 14' long so will one between each be sufficient? Thanks for mentioning that. I usually am making book cases and primitive home stuff. All the lean to's at the farm are just made from cedar and locust posts lol... thanks for you help!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
I like the solid bridging...

4.png

With staggered and solid you can nail the ends straight on...

Bridging.jpg

For my area I'd probably go with two sets and then I could park my tractor on the roof. :lol:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Looking good!

What roofing are you going with, shingle or metal? Are you leaving the sides open or closing one or two in?

If you are closing in the sides, a suggestion is to put some kind of vapor barrier down to help keep ground moisture from rusting up your stuff in there. I put down some heavy plastic and covered it with 3/4 stone. One other thing i did that has been helpful is using the clear poly corrugated panels on the gable end in the back to let in light. Really helps to brighten up the back area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I am going to put firing strips across the tops of the rafters and metal on the roof, soooo I am thinking that will bridge the rafters? Getting ready to head to the lumber supplier, and get to work. You all have a good day! :hi:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!!! I am going to use metal on the roof and close in two sides, the vapor barrier is a good idea too! I still will do the bridging between the rafters. We dont get heavy snow here but sometimes 6 or 8 inches. Boy it is HOT out there today!! No snow in sight :laugh: Here is a pic of how far I got today and I am getting too old for this stuff!

IMG_20160625_140138822_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Looking good! I used metal for the first time on the pole barn and loved how quick it covered compared to shingles. Was very patient to get the first one squared up and in position and then the rest are easy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back again

Hey just wanted to let anyone know that I finally found this post lol. I lost it for a while and plus havnt been able to get anything else done yet. I did visit another dealer today and narrowing down what I may purchase on the 1025R. Thanks everyone I will update here when I get more done on the little shed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice looking lean to. Any shots of the final product?

When I was trying to decide on building or buying a shed, I asked about this. The one place I asked had 30% added on for assembling on site. They still build the shed in their production facility, they just bring it in pieces and put it together on site. I feel that 30% is a bit excessive. I'll be building it myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice looking lean to. Any shots of the final product?

When I was trying to decide on building or buying a shed, I asked about this. The one place I asked had 30% added on for assembling on site. They still build the shed in their production facility, they just bring it in pieces and put it together on site. I feel that 30% is a bit excessive. I'll be building it myself.
. Still working on it but here is an update.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
You've got it useable and it's looking good! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts