Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be describing the addition of a 22'x21' metal equipment garage at our home in NC.

Some background:

An early project for the 1025R was building a parking area. Initially it was just to accommodate a one axle box trailer, one axle ATV trailer & an 18' car hauler for the tractors (3038e & 1025R).

The near area on the right was a small spur for the truck to park if we were needing space in the driveway for visitor cars.

Needless to say that expanded over time to include the 3038e & related attachments most of the year. The spur became a home for the chipper and burn barrels. More room was wanted. The initial parking area was cleared mainly by removing downed timber, brush & saplings. I decided to expand the area immediately to the right of the trailers in the picture above - which required a bit more effort.

At this point, I was thinking of just putting in some gravel. That kind of morphed into gravel & a pole barn and I was looking into packages, permit issues, HOA approval etc. The wife also pointed out that a concrete pad would make things much easier & less messy. Things stayed on hold while looking into permits.

We had some concrete jobs coming up & the wife asked the contractor about maybe doing a package deal. He was receptive so I had to shift into high gear. Decided on the largest building that would work in the space. Found a vendor who had the style we wanted & ran sample colors & building style by the HOA. They were fine with it (probably doesn't hurt that I mow both sides of the access road for 1/3 mile from our place down to the mailboxes as a freebie). Got the permits & zoning lined up after putting a deposit down on the building (16%) so I could get their drawings for the inspections office.

Since the contractor needed non-driveway access for the concrete truck (one job was replacing the apron between driveway & street) I created two access points, one for the building pad site & one for the sidewalk install. Just as well I made both, the gravel delivery had to do a "drive-through" coming in on the building pad site & exiting the sidewalk access! While the contractor's backhoe was on-site for the drive & sidewalk, he made a quick pass at the pad site to lower the grade by about 4" & do a rough level.

This is the access point for the building site & a bit of the rough cut the backhoe operator did for the pad. I had to cut 5 small trees (< 6") & 2 medium sized ones (~10") to create the path:

After the contractors left, I took some time to relocate the corners (covered by the backhoe working) and used the 1025R to clean up some corners & edges.

Got lucky & the day after they did the work, the permit was approved ($150 for the inspections office, $50 for zoning). I was also lucky in that the environmental folks signed off re septic & well encroachment without a $150 site visit, based on the work being so far separated from the septic field and at a higher elevation.

The contractor had some time so he came out the following day and we got things ready for the inspector. That involved getting things square, digging footings, shooting elevations to place forms (turns out there was a 5" variation from left to right), adding a 4" layer of gravel to the interior of the pad and placing rebar.

The 1025R got pressed into service, digging the footers on either side and moving gravel.

The gravel was covered by plastic & a form level string run side to side for the inspector.

more after the inspector visit ...

Nick

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Lots of hard work there, Nick. :good2:
Keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
21,468 Posts
This is great - love to follow along with projects like this.

One thing is for cetain - I was entertaining the thought of replacing our barn vs. doing an extensive rehab. After reading all about your approvals needed and inspections I will do the rehab instead. No way I want to go through all that!

What has this world come to? You can't do anything to your own property without someone elses approval (multiple times).

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

:munch::munch::munch:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inspector came by today, no problems so good to go for a concrete pour on Monday. Inspections doesn't need to come by again until after building is finished & ready for use (I'm not putting in electric or plumbing so it is pretty simple...). Once the pour is done, I will call the building manufacturer/installer to let them know so I can get on their schedule for delivery & install.

Nick

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
This is great - love to follow along with projects like this.

One thing is for cetain - I was entertaining the thought of replacing our barn vs. doing an extensive rehab. After reading all about your approvals needed and inspections I will do the rehab instead. No way I want to go through all that!

What has this world come to? You can't do anything to your own property without someone elses approval (multiple times).
We had a 8'x16' deck that I/we replaced with one that is 11'x46'. Property tax man came out to assess our property a couple years later, he noticed and asked about it. Told him the measurements which he wrote down. We never did get a permit to do it, just did it. Taxes didn't go up that we could see. :hijacked:

:focus: Looks like that's going to be a nice shed! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After the inspector left, I did some cleaning up. Most of the large pile of gravel that remained got used to fill in eroding areas along the road side ditch area (still part of our yard). The remainder was spread fairly thickly in the area in front of the pad & at the top of the parking area. I can recover some later if needed for coverage in another area.

I moved the chipper (covered in blue tarp) away from the work area using strap-on forks on the 1025R bucket (it pretty much maxed it's capacity...) and moved the burn barrels to one side.

With those out of the way, I moved the pile of topsoil from lowering the grade 4" over to a location of the wife's choosing. She is not one to waste topsoil & already has plans for flower bed expansions. This clears the area to allow the concrete truck to drive straight through if needed. I also cleaned up the piles left from the footing excavations.

This should be it until the pour is done.

Nick

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side note:
A couple of gully washer thunderstorms rolled through & pretty much filled both footings (rebar totally covered & not visible). I have a 12v bilge pump that normally sits in a barrel I can take around with the FEL when the wife has a lot of areas needing water. Toted the pump & a booster box over to the pad site & pumped the water down to an inch or two. Hopefully the road edges will be firm enough come Monday for the concrete delivery...

Nick

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, today the slab got poured.

The truck backed in though the access corridor we prepared earlier.

Because the truck could not maneuver around much at all, they had to use a wheelbarrow to fill the far footing & about half the slab.

The remainder could be poured directly.

The original estimate of 7.5 yards was not enough to finish the job, so the truck left & another was put in route with another 1.5 yards. The shortfall was probably a combination of compensating for the grade & that I had to shave one of the footers wider after drifting from the desired line when I was running the 1025R backhoe.

They floated what had been laid while waiting for the next truck, but it was not much of a delay.

With the final pour done, the slab gets finishing done.

All done!

The concrete guy will come back tomorrow to cut expansion slots. I told the building manufacturer that our slab was poured and to get us on the delivery/install schedule.

Nick

·
Registered
447 Posts
I may have missed it, but what manufacturer of metal building are you using? I assume it is being bolts to the slab? Otherwise what made you want to pour the slab before the building and then pour? I assume you will have them come back to do an apron entrance into your garage?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have missed it, but what manufacturer of metal building are you using? I assume it is being bolts to the slab? Otherwise what made you want to pour the slab before the building and then pour? I assume you will have them come back to do an apron entrance into your garage?
Carolina Carports is the manufacturer & the building will be bolted to the slab with expansion bolts. For local code compliance, it is a "certified" building, meaning that there are engineering drawings showing how it is constructed to withstand 130 mph wind load & 30 psf snow loads. They wouldn't issue a permit for a slab in conjunction with the building unless it had the footings described in those drawings. I could have specified construction on level dirt/gravel (anchored by mobile home anchors), but it would be a pain to have done an interior slab later. It it a "vertical roof" metal garage w/4 walls (9' high). Two 9x8' garage doors on the south wall, two windows each on east, west and north.

An apron is definitely on the "to-do" list, but was put off til later to avoid complications in the permitting process (plus I haven't done ground prep to accommodate it yet...).

Nick

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Nice work. Excellent documentation of your build. I'll be anxious to see construction of the building.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The concrete guy came by this morning (8AM) and cut control joints into the slab.

The next photo series should be the building delivery/installation (fingers crossed).

Nick

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scheduler for Carolina Carports called this afternoon, verified our package & has us set up for delivery and assembly on Friday, Sept. 9.

Nick

1 - 20 of 114 Posts