Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! With winter approaching, I have been thinking about an actuator to control the chute on my 54 inch blower. I currently have the cable to control the top of the chute from Deere, but this would be easier for me. I have looked into the kits that include everything. After thinking about it, I'm wondering if I could use the switch that I have for my TKV20. I was thinking I could buy an actuator and make a wire with the same end to connect to the switch. I’m not very knowledgeable about electrical systems so I don’t know if this would be possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You would need a dpdt rocker switch to control the linear actuator. The dpdt has 6 pin on the back of the switch. I've used a 6 inch stroke and was able to use exisiting holes on the chute. One last note, it was installed upside down to keep water from entering the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
There are multiple threads here that talk about what you are planning to do, I would check them all out, so many different ideas out there. I myself did the actuator thing but a 4" stroke is what I went with for an actuator, that's all the adjustment my chute could do anyway. Fits right in the existing holes. Simple install as you will read about and see. Jeff

Reactions: Greensince90

·
Registered
324 Posts
It’s possible the rocker for the tkv20 would work. The only issue would be running the cable to the rear of the tractor. I ended up mounting mine at the cutout by the left knee.
I like that because I can rotate and adjust the chute simultaneously instead of having to do one at a time (assuming your tkv20 switch is mounted on the right like mine is).

I really want to get a thumb switch for the chute control, but could never find one I liked. Ihave been scrimping for a grapple; which means getting the 3rd scv, so in the long run, I could make the chute control hydraulic.

Reactions: Greensince90

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen for the responses, I greatly appreciate it! Would you recommend getting an actuator from Amazon or is there a brand you would recommend? Scooterman brought up some good points, however due to my limited mobility with my left arm, I think using the TKV 20 switch would be the best for me. Thank you again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for the responses, I greatly appreciate it! Would you recommend getting an actuator from Amazon or is there a brand you would recommend? Scooterman brought up some good points, however due to my limited mobility with my left arm, I think using the TKV 20 switch would be the best for me. Thank you again!
My wiring experience amounted to wiring aftermarket stereos and speakers to my cars in the 80s until I took this project on. I ordered the kit from Merit Automation on ebay and found the install to be relatively easy (with a couple of "oh #$%@" moments and redos). Hint: If it doesn't work in your grand "tada" moment, before you tear all you connections apart and start over, check the fuse first. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added one a few years ago and it turned out well.
I used this switch: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/eaton-switches/8006k52n1v2/70155793/
Mine is on an X739 and I just put it in the unused 'blank' spot on the dash. I'm not sure where a good spot is on the 1025R

This is the actuator I went with:
Amazon.com : Everest Parts Supplies 4" Inch Fast Linear Actuator 30mm / s 50lbs Lift 12v -02-04 : Garden & Outdoor
Make sure you get at least a 30mm/sec. I first bought a 4mm/sec it it was waaaay to slow.
I mounted it "upside down" to keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I added one a few years ago and it turned out well.
I used this switch: Eaton / Switches - 8006K52N1V2 - Rocker Switch; Sealed; DPDT; (ON)-OFF-(ON); Black Actuator; 15A; 125VAC; 10A; 250VAC; QC - Allied Electronics & Automation
Mine is on an X739 and I just put it in the unused 'blank' spot on the dash. I'm not sure where a good spot is on the 1025R
View attachment 762644
Very nice and factory looking installation, Chad! 👍 I did notice you referenced a double pole switch; is there a reason for that? I would think a single pole double throw should be all that is needed, and save a few bucks. Just a future reference for anyone looking to do similar work like yours 🙂

Edit: removed the link to SPDT switch. Apparently I misunderstood how the 12v bi-directional actuator work.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
I basically did the same thing Chad did only my actuator is not upside down and I haven't had an issue yet and it's 5 years old, this will be my sixth year with the system. I bought the switch, plugs and heavy duty premium 150# use actuator from Firgelli automation, (In fact I bought two of everything, if something goes I have a spare to get back in working order quickly). The switch we used (DPDT) is for press left and it will go down press right and it will go up auto back to middle is off.. Up or down direction depends on how you wire it. Simple install. I do have a cab so the switch will never see water. The actuator is built for direct water use and pretty much sealed and I also use spray silicone every time I use the machine for snow removal.
MY actuator is slow 6-8 seconds for full travel, I believe, but it will also take heavy slush whacking the chute if it's lowering and not break the actuator,, you can break the top off the actuator housing and it's then junk. Think of it this way, are you going to go from a full open chute to a closed chute anyway? Probably not so time isn't an issue for me and you can also sit there for a second if the wind is blowing that bad anyway. Strength was important to me.
I've seen actuators at our local college broken in this exact situation. Stripped out screws is what happens.

Reactions: BWV and jgayman

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Very nice and factory looking installation, Chad! 👍 I did notice you referenced a double pole switch; is there a reason for that? I would think a single pole double throw should be all that is needed, and save a few bucks. Just a future reference for anyone looking to do similar work like yours 🙂

Given the overall cost of the project, a few dollars more for a DPDT switch seems fairly trivial.

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
True JG and John Deere owners are already used to spending more for their machines/parts anyway! I want mine to last forever and I have no problem spending a little more to keep it that way. You've read what I do,, two of everything is me! Even the new chain case,, I have a spare.. That plastic hinge on the chute,, I have two of these ready to go plus the rivets, rotation wire a 100 foot spool, extra set of chute hold down metals and screws.. I could go on and on.. But this is not my thread! I just like being prepared.. and I have a great pension!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Given the overall cost of the project, a few dollars more for a DPDT switch seems fairly trivial.
Maybe to you, but really, what was the harm for me to mention an alternative that not only cost slightly less but also is slightly more reliable? Being an electrician in my former trade, a double pole cramped in the same switch space as a single pole has a tendency to fail sooner.

Sometime less is more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a great pension!
Must be nice; good for you. Not everyone is as fortunate as you are to afford some extras.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Maybe to you, but really, what was the harm for me to mention an alternative that not only cost slightly less but also is slightly more reliable? Being an electrician in my former trade, a double pole cramped in the same switch space as a single pole has a tendency to fail sooner.

Sometime less is more.
I understand. I've been an electronics guy myself for 45 years. Literally every actuator example on a snow blower spout makes use of a momentary DPDT rocker switch. The cost difference between a DPDT and SPDT is about $3.00. Including the price of a decent quality actuator the cost of the project is well over $100. Why re-invent the wheel? :)

We are however, always open to viewing new ways to do things. Do you have a wiring diagram showing the use of a SPDT switch?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I understand. I've been an electronics guy myself for 45 years. Literally every actuator example on a snow blower spout makes use of a momentary DPDT rocker switch. The cost difference between a DPDT and SPDT is about $3.00. Including the price of a decent quality actuator the cost of the project is well over $100. Why re-invent the wheel? :)

We are however, always open to viewing new ways to do things. Do you have a wiring diagram showing the use of a SPDT switch?
In my first post in this thread, I asked if there was a reason for a double pole switch because as far as I could see, there should be only three conductors involved: 12v, up and down. I’m fairly sure we are not switching the ground on and off which would be silly, but I had to ask because sometime I can be surprised by what I learn over time too.

Is there a reason the actuators come with DPDT switches?

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
In my first post in this thread, I asked if there was a reason for a double pole switch because as far as I could see, there should be only three conductors involved: 12v, up and down. I’m fairly sure we are not switching the ground on and off which would be silly, but I had to ask because sometime I can be surprised by what I learn over time too.

Is there a reason the actuators come with DPDT switches?
To change direction on the actuators you reverse the polarity. This diagram shows the simplicity of the wiring.

Reactions: chad

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
I basically did the same thing Chad did only my actuator is not upside down and I haven't had an issue yet and it's 5 years old, this will be my sixth year with the system. I bought the switch, plugs and heavy duty premium 150# use actuator from Firgelli automation, (In fact I bought two of everything, if something goes I have a spare to get back in working order quickly). The switch we used (DPDT) is for press left and it will go down press right and it will go up auto back to middle is off.. Up or down direction depends on how you wire it. Simple install. I do have a cab so the switch will never see water. The actuator is built for direct water use and pretty much sealed and I also use spray silicone every time
If you don't mind me asking, which model actuator did you get from Firgelli?

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, which model actuator did you get from Firgelli?
I haven’t bought one, but my understanding is that the 150lb, 4 inch (currently out of stock) is the high speed one. I have the eBay kit and the actuator is annoyingly slow.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
I haven’t bought one, but my understanding is that the 150lb, 4 inch (currently out of stock) is the high speed one. I have the eBay kit and the actuator is annoyingly slow.

I believe it was “tj1” that purchased the actuator from Firgelli.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To change direction on the actuators you reverse the polarity. This diagram shows the simplicity of the wiring.

View attachment 762767
Thank you for clearing that up. That is why I asked if there was a reason for DPDT switch. As mentioned before, I sometime learn something new. I’ll remove the link to the SPDT switch. Thank you.

I must have been thinking of 12v wiring for the dump trailer I had about 15 years ago in which the hydraulic cylinder was power up & gravity down.

Reactions: jgayman
1 - 20 of 27 Posts