Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen I recently bouhgt a new (to me) 2018 X750. It has a Curtis/deere cab, which pretty much eliminates the possibility of a "standard style" loader.

So I'm looking at building something like a Buford Bucket mini pay loader arrangement. Those scoop style jobbies won't cut it. I don't exactly need a 6 foot lift like a full loader, but I need more than the 5-6" lift the quick hitch mechanism gives you. Buford bucket style lifts around 48", which works for me and the cab won't be a problem.

The thing is: I don't want to "tap into" the stock hydraulics to power it. I don't like the idea of shimming the relief valve to run the pump harder and to be honest, I don't think it would have the output I need for the 2.5" cylinders I want to use (ie: brand new and already paid for - Hyd cylinders aren't cheap!). Not to mention: it is still under warranty so I don't want to mess with the internals and possibly void the warranty. I'll be close to out of warranty when I start building a bucket, but I'd still like to have it independent, other than driving the secondary pump.

I've crawled over the tractor and I'm not seeing a lot of places where I can take power to run the pump.

Taking it off the PTO isn't a real option as I need to keep the PTO "as is" to run the deck, snowblower, etc.

So, it's a long shot but has anyone every gone down the road of adding a second hyd pump to one of the diesel x5/7 series machines?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to be the "trailbreaker" on this one.......

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I have never heard of any problems shimming to a pressure that’s allowed by the manufacturer.

You running the pump exactly how it was designed when you do.
rydplrs is correct
Deere was very conservative over Tuff-Torq Only reason it is set so low

That said Kwik-way always used a PTO Powered Pump for most of there Loaders. Same with Johnson Arps.

The Wallenstein backhoe for the X700 series uses a 540RPM PTO Pump to run the Hydraulics for that 4 point frame mount backhoes . You could Probably find a pump that runs off the 540RPM That would be powerful enough to run a Loader. Just do what Kwik-way did make one of your loader uprights a Hydraulic tank for the loader as well.

The nice thing about a separate pump & hydraulic tank loader is, They have always been faster then a OEM 45 or 40 loader. That's the only thing I miss about my old Kwik-way Loader On My White GT2055 which I still own But It's on a permanent loan to my brother. That Loader could raise, Lower, Dump and reset the bucket. Much quicker then a Deere OEM 45 or 40 loader could do it in. The Lack of Power steering on the White was a Big reason I Bought a used JD 425 with a 40 loader a Year later after buying the White in 1999

But the downside of PTO Pump loaders was removing them. Just not as quick as a loader that runs off the internal tractor hydraulics
(y)

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
rydplrs is correct
Deere was very conservative over Tuff-Torq Only reason it is set so low

That said Kwik-way always used a PTO Powered Pump for most of there Loaders. Same with Johnson Arps.

The Wallenstein backhoe for the X700 series uses a 540RPM PTO Pump to run the Hydraulics for that 4 point frame mount backhoes . You could Probably find a pump that runs off the 540RPM That would be powerful enough to run a Loader. Just do what Kwik-way did make one of your loader uprights a Hydraulic tank for the loader as well.

The nice thing about a separate pump & hydraulic tank loader is, They have always been faster then a OEM 45 or 40 loader. That's the only thing I miss about my old Kwik-way Loader On My White GT2055 which I still own But It's on a permanent loan to my brother. That Loader could raise, Lower, Dump and reset the bucket. Much quicker then a Deere OEM 45 or 40 loader could do it in. The Lack of Power steering on the White was a Big reason I Bought a used JD 425 with a 40 loader a Year later after buying the White in 1999

But the downside of PTO Pump loaders was removing them. Just not as quick as a loader that runs off the internal tractor hydraulics
(y)
I don’t know if I’d even say it’s Deere being conservative, it’s tuff torque built them to meet spec, turning 900psi from the factory met minimums. That’s the most common number I see stock. Deere specs 1250 maximum I believe, and tuff-torque specs 1450 or 1500. The only Deere specific parts that would see max pressure is the scv valve and attachment lines. That means those are the only parts at risk by going to the tuff-torque maximum. The power steering and drive run off the charge pump around 250-300psi and shimming doesn’t change that.

I’m not disagreeing with your statement, just adding a bit of detail.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Psi isn’t the only consideration. Flow rate is also one. I’ll be uaing 2.5” cylinders and I’m pretty aure the k99 pump is just not going to keep up, resulting in a very slow moving bucket.

I’ve already got the cylinders, 3h scv, pump and all I need for the lines. I just have to figure out the drive aspects and how to package it neatly in, what is arguably and already tightly packed tractor…

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, a bit more staring and pondering is starting to make me think I might be able to drive a pump off the flywheel ring gear. Nice exposed run of it, starter gear would be the drive and lots of room in that area to figure out pump mounting.

Not saying I plan to go that way, just that its an option to consider…

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than maybe price, I guess I'm not understanding.
Yup, that's pretty much it.

Much more than I want to spent for a 540 rpm PTO when a pump want somewhere around 3000 rpm to meet it's rated output.

I also have no other uses for a rear PTO.

Plus, I don't want the pump hanging out the back of the tractor. I know lots of people do it, I just don't want that kind of setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.