Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding the backhoe to my 2014 1025r with 150 hours on it. Just looking for a few thoughts on the the options of buying a whole unit
(new TLB) or just adding the backhoe along with needed upgrades to operate the hoe. I have the auto-attach 54 which I think I would keep even if buying a new unit. Also, should I look at the slightly larger 2 series (same engine size),just to get the larger frame.
Any thoughts?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,867 Posts
I'm looking at adding the backhoe to my 2014 1025r with 150 hours on it. Just looking for a few thoughts on the the options of buying a whole unit
(new TLB) or just adding the backhoe along with needed upgrades to operate the hoe. I have the auto-attach 54 which I think I would keep even if buying a new unit. Also, should I look at the slightly larger 2 series (same engine size),just to get the larger frame.
Any thoughts?
Good point. I would think you'd get a better deal moving up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just recently bought my 1025R. I was really on the fence about the backhoe. I asked how much it would save me to buy it now rather than having it installed later, looking for a little motivator to bite the bullet. The savings.... A whopping $400. So, based on what my dealer told me, I don't think trading in or up is going to make a real big difference for you.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Like anything, it depends on what you want to do with the BH. Larger tractor, more capabilities. The 1025R with a BH is pretty strong but it is a small tractor so it is all about, how much time do you have and how deep do you need to dig. I know the 1025R BH spec says you can dig 8' deep. Good luck trying to do that!! Realistically, if you are digging a ditch, 4' deep is more like it. Digging 8' deep is not going to happen unless you are digging a hole directly behind the BH and it is just a hole. NOT VERY REALISTIC!!

Here are a few pictures of the kinds of materials and what I have done with mine. As you can see, the BH will dig shale but it takes some patience! I dug all the wiring and plumbing trenches when I built my garage back in 2014 with my 1025R. I would estimate I dug at least 300' of trench, all 3' to 4' deep, not to mention all the other digging that I have done with my BH.
Personally, I am pretty familiar with equipment and it's capabilities, the 1025R with the BH is pretty impressive for a small tractor. My tractor is an FILB so I did not add my BH. There have been some other forum members who have added a BH and there are threads posted concerning this topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just recently bought my 1025R. I was really on the fence about the backhoe. I asked how much it would save me to buy it now rather than having it installed later, looking for a little motivator to bite the bullet. The savings.... A whopping $400. So, based on what my dealer told me, I don't think trading in or up is going to make a real big difference for you.
For me it was about the 0% financing. I could roll the back hoe into the tractor purchase where I couldn't later on. I've used the hoe exactly twice in 3 years but I have it when I want it.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
On the question of trading in your 1025 for another 1025 TLB, for me it would depend on the numbers. Though your 1025 has really low hours, it will still be considered used by your dealer or future buyer, so you will lose some $'s there. The other thing to think about is that you have probably worked out any bugs on your machine, and probably will not experience any surprises in the coming years. Getting a new tractor, you could get one of those few lemons that appear every so often ... just sayin'.

So weigh a new TLB tractor with 0%, the difference in the trade-in and see what works for you.

As for trading up ... that depends on what you need in a tractor. Bigger tractor is more powerful, but it will be larger and heavier. On my small property, bigger won't fit a well, and much of my "driving" is over lawn, though the damage is very slight with my 1026, whenever the grass is moist, there is some damage/compression. A larger tractor would just make that lawn damage a bit worse. Sure I could use and want a larger tractor, just not practical for me. Your situation will be different.

Then again, you need to run the numbers.

Best way to start is to talk with your dealer and see what your trade-in would be, the price of a BH, price of a new 1025 TLB, and the price of a new 2 series. And if you do upgrade, will your 54 mower fit? So don't forget to figure that in.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have a loader on your 1025R? I don't see it mentioned. If you are adding a BH, you will need a loader attach the BH frame to. If you get a new 1025 TLB, your 54 inch deck will fit after you add the lift kit and auto connect, if you go to a 2 series you will need a 2 series deck/lift kit. The 2017 2 series is all new with an expensive auto connect option. If you already have a loader on your 1025R you will need the BH,frame kit and power beyond kit. The frame kit includes the swivel seat frame,light extenders and bracket to relocate the tool box to the side.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Unless you have a lot of projects that need a backhoe, you might be better of renting a backhoe, or even a mini excavator when you need it.

Reactions: FC2301

·
Registered
448 Posts
Unless you have a lot of projects that need a backhoe, you might be better of renting a backhoe, or even a mini excavator when you need it.
I have to agree in my situation renting would have been better, actually I could have paid an excavator operator to come out and do what I needed to do. But don't get me wrong its nice to have the back hoe, and I bought mine as TLB because it could be financed into the 0% interest rate. I used my BH on a couple of projects and it was so nice to do this at my leisure but doesn't justify the price I paid for it. Now that I have it I will never get rid of it, but I have used it more at friends and family property than mine.

The 1025r TLB will dig good for trenching, it will trench a hole 3-4' deep but really cant go any further unless you dig directly below the boom and even then I really question the 8'.

Bottom line - I'd buy again on the 1025r, even though its not feasible for me. :banghead: You wont use it often or even at all but its always there when you need it and you wont need a ballast box -

Reactions: FC2301 and Levi

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
One of my only real jobs I did - 3 foot trench for downspout.

Sure beats a shovel but doesn't come close to justifying the price I spent on it. backhoe.jpg

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Like anything, it depends on what you want to do with the BH. Larger tractor, more capabilities. The 1025R with a BH is pretty strong but it is a small tractor so it is all about, how much time do you have and how deep do you need to dig. I know the 1025R BH spec says you can dig 8' deep. Good luck trying to do that!! Realistically, if you are digging a ditch, 4' deep is more like it. Digging 8' deep is not going to happen unless you are digging a hole directly behind the BH and it is just a hole. NOT VERY REALISTIC!!
I just re-read this thread, and wanted to clarify a few things. The 260BH is not spec'd to dig 8 feet deep. The manual says digging depth just over 6 feet ... with a note attached ... that says below it will only dig 24 inches "flat bottom", see the link below, scroll down to "Specifications"

omlvu23711_h0

I know (and as referenced by other posts here) that the 260BH will easily dig a 4 foot deep trench/hole, just that it will have a rounded bottom. I'm not sure what JD's manual considers "flat bottom" or how long it has to be to be considered as such. I dug a 150+ foot long 4 foot deep trench and a lot of holes for trees which didn't have to be that deep. The deeper the trench you want, the more you will have to move the tractor to maintain your depth. That's not bad thing, just a limitation of a small BH.

Sure beats a shovel but doesn't come close to justifying the price I spent on it.
I definitely agree with the BH beating a shovel, but for me personally, I didn't even consider justifying the price of my BH. I bought my 1026R when it was first introduced specifically because it was (and still is) the smallest tractor I could get with a BH. I really didn't need to get a 1-series, I could have done well with any of the X-series, but after many years of digging in my "fertile" clay and rocks, a BH was what I wanted.
Do I use my tractor every weekend? NO.
Do I use my BH everytime I use my tractor? NO
Is the BH available whenever I need it at a moment's notice? YES, YES and YES.

When I dug my drainage trench, my digging, pipe fitting and back filling took a span of 3 weekends. I didn't want to take vacation and worked at my own pace ... including a few trips the hardware store to get the right angle fittings, etc. Renting may have been "more economical", but the convenience was priceless. AND when my wife decides to buy a new tree/shrub, no problem.

Do I have any reservations about buying a BH ... NAH. But your situation may be different. Owning a BH is not right for everyone, it was for me.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I like having the 1 series with the backhoe and I've used it several times. That being said if I had to do it over again I may opt for a larger tractor (2 or 3 series) without the backhoe for close to the same amount. Also I think I would skip the mower deck on the one series or larger tractor and buy a used garden tractor again (318, 322, 330, 332, 420, or a 430). But that is just me. I feel the 1 series is an awesome little tractor and very capable to do many things and its like driving a Caddy compared to the garden tractors I've owned. But to me the cut quality isn't the greatest without the anti scalp rollers. I owned a 318 and 430 both with 50" decks. And they both had front and rear anti scalp rollers. I get why the 1 series doesn't have them with being a drive over deck but one would think they could design something!? Sorry for getting off topic and good luck with your decision on the backhoe!!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,867 Posts
I can confirm... resale value, ease of resale and or trade-in is FAR better on a tractor with a BH. You probably will not lose any money on the deal if you have the tractor for any length of time.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
When I bought my 1026 I didn't even think about a BH. Never had one and didn't think I ever would. I thought the FEL would do everything I wanted to do. I had a 2210 so this wasn't new to me. I just never thought about the BH. Didn't even enter my mind. That being said, I wish I would have gotten the BH. There are so many times I could have and still could use the BH. Knowing all that, would I get one now to put on my tractor...no. Would I trade mine in for one that has one...no. Reason...money. I could have afforded it when I got the tractor to add it to the payment but to get it now after the fact...no way. We paid our tractor off before the loan ended so the added money when I first bought it wouldn't have made much difference. Might have taken another month or two to pay it off and it would have still been an early pay off.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
No Regrets So Far

I added the backhoe to my tractor a few months ago . I saw Kenny posted a link to the thread above . It was not that hard if you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools .
I have found that although I thought I wouldn't need it that much , I use it regularly so far . The Bxpanded dolly I bought makes it very easy to remove and install the backhoe .
Only thing I would change is I would have got the 12" bucket . (maybe for Christmas !)
Anyway go for it . You will find you needed it more than you thought . After you install it you can update your signature to SILB (self installed loader backhoe ) with a definite sense of accomplishment .

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Remember that the backhoe only costs you what it depreciates each year. I've found that if I take care of my equipment, John Deere stuff depreciates very slowly. Your annual depreciation may be less than it would cost you to rent. And you will have the convenience of always having it when you need it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wanted to add a backhoe to my 2014 1025R after multiple people asking if I had one and needing to do multiple projects around the house. Did a bunch of research and it was more cost effective to trade the tractor in and buy everything new. I gained better financing, 0% and a longer warranty on the tractor. My payment stayed the same fortunately, but now I can do little projects on my own time without having to worry about renting equipment or trying to borrow a machine from work, plus when I get side jobs, I have another avenue to make more money. It is WAY slower than a mini excavator though and it does take patience but I am so glad I bought it and have already done a ton of small projects around the house and in the neighborhood.

Adam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts