Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has added a foot throttle control to their Generation 2 series tractor. I am looking at making something up as my 4040 will be used mainly out on the road and foot speed control makes safer driving and gives smoother gear changes, especially puling a 6 ton trailer loaded up with my crawler dozer. I know that kits were originally available but chances of finding these parts these days would be slim as not many of these tractors get parted out in our area.

John

Registered
I thought that the 40 series tractors had foot throttles? Maybe not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The total kit, to buy it here through JD is about $650 au or $460 US. It all mounts under the floor and not easy to fit apparently. I am thinking of making up my own kit using an ex Toyota accelerator pedal assembly which I already have got ( safely stored away somewhere in my shed) and using a flexible cable to connect to a modified governor control arm with a pair of slots in it. The hand throttle would go to one slot and the foot control to the other slot so that one can over-ride the other.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have completed my foot throttle upgrade now and works a charm.

I ended up starting from scratch and created my own design which utilized the existing foot pedal mount at the side of the center console. A flexible 1/16" bike type bowden steel cable was used to connect from a lever on the pedal shaft to the modified governor control rod and when the pedal is pressed down, the governor rod is pulled forward. The rod was cut and a sleeve welded to the front section. The rear section of the rod is a slip fit inside the sleeve, and when the hand throttle speed is increased, this overrides the foot control. A tension spring is used as shown to keep the slip joint in the closed position and a second spring under the floor returns the pedal to the idle position (or where-ever the hand throttle is set to). Below are some photos of the completed arrangement.

If anyone would like measurements or more details, please send me a message.

Also included are a photo taken on the road to a local country show (a 15 mile drive) with my David Brown 50TD (50hp) dozer loaded on my trailer and another at the show.

Attachments

Premium Member
I must say you did a good job and the engine is very clean! :good2:

Reactions: DRobinson

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Zebrafive, thanks for your comments. The only oil leaks I have got over the whole tractor are the rear hydraulic SCV couplings on one side ( I already have a seal kit for this) and a very small leak somewhere around the control valve just in front of the transmission oil filter. Not bad for a tractor 37 years old even if it has done less than 2300 hours. The two major leaks I had were the 3PL load sensing rod seals and the gasket under the engine oil filter housing base joint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts