Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a garden that was brand new last year. Nice black dirt and decent soil, but still quite compacted ground. Had a guy come with a GT type rotary tiller last year but it only got us about 3-4" of loose soil. I now have a 2520 and a 60" KK Pro tiller so I know I'll be able to work the ground better, but as I've been reading it seems that using a middle buster first would really allow some depth to the seed bed and get rid of that compacted soil.

So, being the type who likes to spend wisely (and I'm OK spending, but I hate to waste money) I figured it might be best to get a multi-purpose tool like a middle buster/subsoiler combo. The only ones I find being sold as combos seem to be for subcompact tractors and are built short for limited cat 1 hitches. For instance, King Kutter makes an XB version that is a combo but the max working depth is 6". I'm sure my tiller can already get me to 6". I'd prefer getting down to 10 or so. My 2520, while not a monster tractor, has full cat 1 and could take a longer shank unit.

My questions to folks (and yes, I searched but found very little pertinent info) are first whether anyone makes a full cat 1 middle buster/subsoiler combo that is not too expensive, and second whether any of the standard cat 1 subsoilers or middle busters can easily be converted by removing their blade and adding the other style end onto it (putting a subsoiler point on a middle buster after removing the plow, or putting a plow on a subsoiler).

Attached is a pic of the KK XB combo unit for reference.

Thanks!
Rob

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
You can use as is and get the job done you want done. Use the sub-soiler or plow to brake up the ground, the tiller will do the rest. On virgin unbroken ground you will have to till the ground probably at least 4 time. Till it all long ways and then till it cross ways. Doing this twice should get you where you want to be and the ground will be so soft you will sink into it when you walk on it. If the grass/weeds aren't completely covered doing it this way then do it one more time. I till my garden at least one time in both directions even now. The first time on virgin ground I tilled it in both directions 3 or 4 times depending if everything was covered or not. The tiller will have depth of no more then 10", if that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look at Heavy Hitch. They have a combo sub-soiler/middle buster. Works with any 2" receiver hitch adapter.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Look at Heavy Hitch. They have a combo sub-soiler/middle buster. Works with any 2" receiver hitch adapter.
yes they do-if u want to see it in action--go to u-tube and type in Roy Rector--he has a u-tube channel, and reviews it in action. and he is fun to watch also. i believe he's in Texas.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I did find the HH one after posting this thread. But to get the combo you're at $230 plus shipping, which doesn't put you a whole lot less than buying both a subsoiler and middle buster at about $150/ea from a local store. And I'm not sure I would find a receiver hitch to be as solid and long-lasting as a dedicated 3pt attachment. On the plus side, I could load up the HH with lots of weight which would probably really help dig. So it is something to consider.

Bear in mind that I'm considering the combo not entirely for the garden duty. While that's what I would buy it for, I think having both would allow me to do things like trenching in the future.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Thanks. I did find the HH one after posting this thread. But to get the combo you're at $230 plus shipping, which doesn't put you a whole lot less than buying both a subsoiler and middle buster at about $150/ea from a local store. And I'm not sure I would find a receiver hitch to be as solid and long-lasting as a dedicated 3pt attachment. On the plus side, I could load up the HH with lots of weight which would probably really help dig. So it is something to consider.

Bear in mind that I'm considering the combo not entirely for the garden duty. While that's what I would buy it for, I think having both would allow me to do things like trenching in the future.

Thanks,
Rob
well i bought the sub-soiler a couple yrs ago from agri-supply.

[h=1]3-Point Subsoiler, 4" x 1" Shank, Ripper Tooth[/h]#73410

$164.99 EA
i bought this to bury my electric fence in the ground for my new puppy. this thing will dig, that's for sure, and the price is very good also. shipping wasn't that bad, delivered right to my house, used the forks to unload off rear of trailer. it is pretty much i-match ready also, and i think u could mount a sub-soiler blade on it too.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jim. That looks like it has promise. I see they have a middle buster that looks like it is almost the same unit and the point on this subsoiler is replaceable so I'm thinking a furrow could be swapped onto the subsoiler end. That wire layer also looks useful.

Rob

·
Registered
332 Posts

Thanks,
Rob
Rob,
The Heavy Hitch will outlast any dedicated 3 point attachment and the subsoiler will work as well or better than any dedicated attachment and it stores easily when you're through, you can simply hang it on the wall. We have customers that have used this set up behind a 4020 full size John Deere and it performed perfectly. One thing to note: which ever unit you purchase, you should look for one with sheer protection so you don't do any damage to your tractor.
HRACS-G.jpg
Oh, don't forget to enter code GTT in the shopping cart for a special GTT member discount!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Thanks,
Rob

I have the HH version. The 2 inch insert for the receiver is solid steel (rather than a tube). I intend to put together a video on this VERY soon. (as soon as it dries enough in my garden).

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts