Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know it’s not uncommon to hear people adding a half a quart or so to 5 gallons of diesel to lube everything up. I’ve never heard anything bad about it but I wanted to see if it would be okay to dump a oil in the fuel???? I always end up with little 1/4 full quarts of oil around and it would be nice to use them for a good purpose. Any thoughts???

·
Administrator
21,132 Posts
I would never ever do this. There are a lot of additives that are in that oil that isn't designed to be burned. ATF is even worse, it has friction modifiers in it. These additives can gum up your injectors and deposit ash where you don't want it. Modern diesel fuel systems are extremely finicky and have very very tight tolerances. Don't put stuff in there that compromises that. And don't even think about it in any diesel that has exhaust aftertreatment.

Stick to regular fuel additives, quality ones, not just what's on sale at your local corner store. :good2:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
So I know it’s not uncommon to hear people adding a half a quart or so to 5 gallons of diesel to lube everything up. I’ve never heard anything bad about it but I wanted to see if it would be okay to dump a oil in the fuel???? I always end up with little 1/4 full quarts of oil around and it would be nice to use them for a good purpose. Any thoughts???
No... there are appropriate additives to add. Yes it will run, but I would not do that. I Buying some biodiesel, will do just as well. And if your machine has a DPF, you definately do not want to do it. Your profile does not mention what you have.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,586 Posts
I haven't heard that for some 50 years I think. Today's diesels are not the same as Grandpa's smoker.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
AGREED with others!!!!! Absolutley not!!! Never never never never never put engine oil in diesel fuel.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
On an old engine that is designed for high sulfur diesel, it would probably be alright because the ULSD we use has reduced lube properties. Many have had success with 2 stroke oil in their old engines. On a newer engine (especially common-rail engines) this is a VERY BAD IDEA because these systems are designed for ULSD, and are self-lubricating accordingly. They have very tight tolerances, so anything added may have an impact (think watery diesel in a bosch CP4=instant empty bank account)

That said, there are plenty of additives that are designed specifically for these new engines and ULSD. I would use one of those if you're worried about something.

·
Administrator
21,132 Posts
2 stroke oil isn’t designed to go through any diesel engine. Just because you didn’t have any issues with it in the past, doesn’t mean it was a good idea.

Just think, if it was a good idea, don’t you think the OEMs would be recommending it? What about the oil manufacturers? They too would definitely jump onboard to sell you more product.

Stick with additives designed for diesel fuel if you choose to use them.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I agree with the others.
Besides the fact that half a quart added to only 5 gallons is way too much oil, I have heard of this practice, but its very old.
The only oil guys routinely add to their diesel is 2 stroke oil. Thats not necessarily a good thing either.
Ive never done it much in my diesels, except the TDI, but even then, its less than an ounce a gallon. Does it help?
Well, my mileage is marginally better with it vs not, but it also adds more contaminants to the oil, so it wont last quite as long when done on a regular basis, so its not really a good trade off.
Additives, good quality additives, will add all the lubricity your pump needs. No need to add additional oils that may just plug up filters.

Add to that the newer DPF and associated parts, and Id stay way away from adding anything other than a well recognized diesel additive!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
2 stroke oil isn’t designed to go through any diesel engine. Just because you didn’t have any issues with it in the past, doesn’t mean it was a good idea.

Just think, of it was a good idea, don’t you think the OEMs would be recommending it? What about the oil manufacturers? They too would definitely jump onboard to sell you more product.

Stick with additives designed for diesel fuel if you choose to use them.
While I agree that they arent designed for it, it does work. Several diesel truck sites discuss it all the time, and much like oil type/grade threads, they tend to get heated one way or the other.
Ive done it in my little TDI, and it does help somewhat, but besides the additional cost, it also will degrade the oil faster as a side effect.
Thats something I recently read about, and why I dont do it anymore.
But running regular oil in a diesel? Thats not something Ive heard of anyone doing in a very long time, except those that run waste oil, and thats not quite the same thing...because I dont know anyone cooking with motor oil.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Administrator
21,132 Posts
Here’s the thing, research and testing shows that 2 stroke oil is a very poor performing diesel fuel additive. There is plenty of real world documentation to back this up. The trick is to wade through and beyond the opinions and hearsay.

It’s your rig, use what you want. :good2:

I learned this stuff the hard way, by burning up a rather expensive Bosch P7100 injector pump. After seeing a bunch more evidence and testing when I was a vendor for Opti-Lube, nothing but diesel fuel and only additives designed as diesel fuel additives will go into my tanks.

What I don’t understand is why choose 2 stroke oil, ATF, used oil, and any other concoctions on a very expensive machine when the proper additives don’t really cost that much different. What are you saving?

Anyway, I’m just trying to help, don’t need to be a part of a heated debate as to “best tire, best truck, best oil”, blah blah blah.

I would highly encourage others to do some real research on this prior to using what was done in years past.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
What I don’t understand is why choose 2 stroke oil, ATF, used oil, and any other concoctions on a very expensive machine when the proper additives don’t really cost that much different. What are you saving?
This right here, exactly this, is a 20, 30 or 40K+ tractor worth trying to save $5 on. :banghead::banghead:

Well said Jason, all of it, even though I only showed this part in my reply. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
Four 1/4 quarts equals your next quart of oil. Put oil where oil belongs, in the crankcase, not the fuel tank.......

Or, dump it in your chainsaw chain oil, or put it on your overhead garage door spring, pulleys and cables, just not in fuel..........Does anyone use the old style "oil can" anymore to lubricate things, you know like they used to oil the tin man in The Wizard of Oz? the kind of oil can that the bottom of the can flexes to make that metal snapping sound when putting drops of oil on things.......I haven't seen one of those in years.

I was on a long boring drive through Arkansas in my Toter Home to go pick up some new race car chassis and listening to the truckers on the CB squawking. I jumped on and told them;

I had just gotten my DCL License *Yes, I know it's a CDL....* and has stopped to put my first gas in my truck. I told them I had put 10 gallons of gas into the diesel tank before another driver told me the trucks burn diesel, not gas, so I just stopped and went to the diesel tank and topped it off with diesel and I just left the truck stop and started driving. I then asked them if that was going to be a problem. The entire event was fictitious, made up purely to get them going...

That was some of the best road entertainment I have heard in years. There were truckers who claimed they actually blended gasoline, or so they claimed into their trucks for performance and the debate back and forth was like starting a Motor Oil, Towing, Political and Religion thread simultaneously on GTT. As I drove out of radio range, they were having a heated debate on the topic.

Man did I get them stirred up when I told them it was a brand new Truck with 500 miles on it. I told them the boss had bought me a brand new truck and I had only hit one thing in the truck stop with it when I was getting fuel.

Then the debate shifted to what kind of boss would give a brand new driver a brand new truck when these guys had been driving for years and didn't have a new truck.....Some wanted to know the bosses name and see if they could get hired.......Then when someone asked what the owner was paying me, I told them a number that was 50% more than the number I had seen on the back of a JB Hunt truck the amount they claimed they were paying drivers per mile, then they really got riled up.

""You mean you got a new truck and they are paying you $xx per mile and you just started and you don't even know to put diesel in the tank? How did you ever find this outfit"".

I told them I was dating the bosses daughter and she wasn't cute but boy my new truck sure was nice.......:lol::laugh:

Then the argument shifted to which companies pay and which companies don't and on and on............Sure made the miles fly by.......:good2:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Here’s the thing, research and testing shows that 2 stroke oil is a very poor performing diesel fuel additive. There is plenty of real world documentation to back this up. The trick is to wade through and beyond the opinions and hearsay.

It’s your rig, use what you want. :good2:

I learned this stuff the hard way, by burning up a rather expensive Bosch P7100 injector pump. After seeing a bunch more evidence and testing when I was a vendor for Opti-Lube, nothing but diesel fuel and only additives designed as diesel fuel additives will go into my tanks.

Anyway, I’m just trying to help, don’t need to be a part of a heated debate as to “best tire, best truck, best oil”, blah blah blah.

I would highly encourage others to do some real research on this prior to using what was done in years past.
Same here. Well, not the hard way, but took the info I found and didnt look far enough until recently.
Now, this is of course after reading all that I have about it, but the "benefit" doesnt make much sense over true diesel additives.

This right here, exactly this, is a 20, 30 or 40K+ tractor worth trying to save $5 on. :banghead::banghead:

Well said Jason, all of it, even though I only showed this part in my reply. :thumbup1gif:
Agreed.
The thing too, that I now dont get, is people putting that kind of stuff in their $50,000 + trucks.
To each their own.
Im sticking to Stanadyne Performance in my diesels.
Unless I round up some Opti...but thats another thread.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been afraid to pour any kind of additives in my tank. And I have the Lucas oil that's just for diesel already on my shelf. Who knows how these additives will affect newer fuel systems and injectors. If I'm afraid my fuel is getting stale I'll go bush hog for a few hours and poor in some fresh fuel.

·
Premium Member
13,635 Posts
I've been afraid to pour any kind of additives in my tank. And I have the Lucas oil that's just for diesel already on my shelf. Who knows how these additives will affect newer fuel systems and injectors. If I'm afraid my fuel is getting stale I'll go bush hog for a few hours and poor in some fresh fuel.
Nothing could be more risk free than using JD branded diesel fuel additive in your JD tractor? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
On the advice of a local JD mechanic, I've been adding the JD Fuel Protect. I was having some issues w/ small amounts of smoke. His rationale was along the lines of its an older tractor, the injectors were not designed with the low sulphur fuel in mind, it will help keep the injectors clean and lubricated.

Not sure it made much difference as I also adjusted the valves and replaced the sticky antifreeze thermostat. All I know is my tractor has more power and is generally smoke free. Might be helping, might not, but I don't think its hurting.

·
Registered
700 Posts

I honestly only thought that applied to the soccer mom minivan "what's an oil change?" mentality... I'm flabbergasted anyone would try it on a recent diesel, of any kind. I get sometimes it's convenient, or there's a big stash, but we're talking diesel injector lube, I've yet to find any self-serve gas station at 2AM that doesn't stock at least one brand.

On the advice of a local JD mechanic, I've been adding the JD Fuel Protect. I was having some issues w/ small amounts of smoke. His rationale was along the lines of its an older tractor, the injectors were not designed with the low sulphur fuel in mind, it will help keep the injectors clean and lubricated.

Not sure it made much difference as I also adjusted the valves and replaced the sticky antifreeze thermostat. All I know is my tractor has more power and is generally smoke free. Might be helping, might not, but I don't think its hurting.
On a low-pressure common-rail diesel system, it's not as much a big deal. But it really does cost so little, there isn't much an excuse not to add it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Then use an additive made by guys that build diesel fuel injection systems.
Stanadyne makes an excellent additive by just about all accounts, and they should know what it takes to deal with the newer systems since they build them too.
I use their Performance formula in my diesels.

Im sure Deeres will work fine too, and if you are one that is concerned about warranty issues due to additive issues, then that should solve the worry for you, although there is really nothing to worry about unless you are adding something you shouldnt be to the fuel (like the aforementioned motor oil or 2 stroke oil).

·
Administrator
21,132 Posts
Stanadyne actually makes JD’s fuel additive. Good stuff. :good2: Scores really high on just about every test out there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts