Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm constantly back and forth from my shop in town and my house for little things that I thought an office at home (still away from my kids) would be a good idea. It's hard to be on conference calls when kids are screaming and playing in the background. I found myself driving into town to just have a quiet place. Well that's going to change. I'm building a 10'x20' office off the backside of my shop at my house. That way I can just walk up and don't need to drive anywhere.

Got the joist's and subfloor down yesterday/ today. Tomorrow I may start the walls.

IMG_20200613_122239.jpg

IMG_20200613_173311.jpg

IMG_20200613_173428.jpg

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Nice! Looks like you got a helper too

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish she helped! My back is killing me right now. Miller lite is massaging my back as I type. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20200613_214408.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,470 Posts
Beautiful puppy. And yeah, your project looks ok too. 😄

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
Hmmm, If I put an office on my shop I may never go to the house. Its is a great idea and certainly will make a great place to keep things in order. Good thing it is close to the shop or it might be considered a she shed.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thing it is close to the shop or it might be considered a she shed.:unsure:
Hey now...it's still going to be connected to the shop, so it's it will be considered part of the shop, no she shedding going on around here...

Cutting in a door around here, that will have to wait until it's closed in.
IMG_20200613_122239~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've contemplated setting up a desk in the barn since we've been WFH full time, but it would get too dirty.
I thought about just setting up a desk in the corner but didn't because of what you mentioned above. Too dirty. I plan on tiled floor, sheetrock walls, lay in grid ceiling. I'll put in a window AC unit or maybe a mini split Mitsubishi unit.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lumber delivery! I don't know how anyone gets anything done without forks. I use them probably just as much as a bucket.

IMG_20200614_180254.jpg

IMG_20200614_180313.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another lumber delivery!

IMG_20200615_154013.jpg

Need to add one more window on the end wall furthest from the tractor in pic. Friend of mine has one for free but I don't know the size yet.

Coming together quickly.

IMG_20200615_181904.jpg

IMG_20200615_181936.jpg

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Looking really good. Great progress.

Reactions: Big and Herminator

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What are you using for insulation under the floor?
To be honest I have thought about it and I don't know yet. I don't think I'll do anything. The Mitsubishi split unit would probably be able to keep up even if I don't insulate the walls or the floor. I'll definitely use a moisture barrier but aside from that, probably nothing, unless convinced otherwise

Edit- I will be insulating the walls and ceiling.

Reactions: PJR832 and Kbar

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You gonna put a man door out the side and a small covered porch? Be a perfect spot for a hammock

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You gonna put a man door out the side and a small covered porch? Be a perfect spot for a hammock
That would be nice, if I have that kind of time, I'm either retired or divorced....

·
Banned
6,070 Posts
Looks like a project well worth the effort. From an inspectors viewpoint it looks like the posts on the outside long wall are spaced at 10' apart. Are those floor joists 2x6 at 16" o.c.? There is inadequate support for the floor and roof loads on just a single 2x rim joist. You need some type of girder to adequately carry the imposed loads which would not be that big of a deal to do as the underside is not closed in. Maybe another inspector or engineer on the forums will chime in as my opinions sometimes are discounted due to my political views.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks like a project well worth the effort. From an inspectors viewpoint it looks like the posts on the outside long wall are spaced at 10' apart. Are those floor joists 2x6 at 16" o.c.? There is inadequate support for the floor and roof loads on just a single 2x rim joist. You need some type of girder to adequately carry the imposed loads which would not be that big of a deal to do as the underside is not closed in. Maybe another inspector or engineer on the forums will chime in as my opinions sometimes are discounted due to my political views.
There is 3 rows of 4x4 posts with 2x6 under 2x6. So the span is 5'. The long wall has an outer band the floor joists are nailed to and sitting on top of a 2x6 so not just one board the joists are nailed to.

I circled the furthest support and mid support. You'll just ha to take my word or look at the first pics that it's also supported next to the shop

IMG_20200614_180254~2.jpg

IMG_20200614_120213.jpg

Reactions: mark02tj and PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe another inspector or engineer on the forums will chime in as my opinions sometimes are discounted due to my political views.

You're political views on this matter is of no concern. Thanks for noticing my project. Maybe you can come by next time you around and have a cold one with me. I promise, no political talk 😂

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could hire someone to spray open or closed cell foam insulation under the floor. It will seal up air and critter gaps too.
We'll see how it is after it's finished.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts