Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1935 d did not come with a temp gauge would like to add one. is there already a place for it and where. do i have to drill and tap a hole and if so where is the best place. im assuming before the water goes into the top of radiator

·
Registered
740 Posts
Try looking at a parts diagram for a later "styled" D. I'm pretty sure they had a thermocouple at the base of the upper water pipe. If you are lucky, a later D's water pipe might even fit on your block. That way you could return your tractor to stock spec someday if you wanted to.

My M also has a Thermo-siphon cooling system and that's where it's is located.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
had hood off to paint and i went ahead and tapped one in under hood:greentractorride:

Reactions: CADplans

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
had hood off to paint and i went ahead and tapped one in under hood:greentractorride:
You know what the "others" say,,, (never me! :flag_of_truce:)
"It didn't happen without pics!!" :thumbup1gif:

What part did you drill into? If there is no thermostat, I guess it would not matter where you drilled.

When you start pulling the 4-16" bottom turning plows, it will be nice to know when you are overloading the engine,,,

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"It didn't happen without pics!!" :thumbup1gif:

What part did you drill into? If there is no thermostat, I guess it would not matter where you drilled.

When you start pulling the 4-16" bottom turning plows, it will be nice to know when you are overloading the engine,,,
part of the radiator extends under hood its were the main pipe goes into radiator.. you always want to put gauge as close as possibe to the inlet side of radiator. if you put after the radiator it will read to cool ... man that part of radiator is some good ole iron its like 3/8" thick:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
"It didn't happen without pics!!"

Yeah, can we see? Pretty please!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pics

the probe will be covered by hood and made up a quick mount and put it down with velcro so it could be removed and no holes in original tin. nothing is set in stone as im still working on paint,etc:greentractorride:

Attachments

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya'll didnt think it would work didnt you.............j/k here it is running for about 20 min at about 750rpm with radiator blocked off
i have what i think is the original one but no lever or hardware:greentractorride:

Attachments

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pics of shutter and as low as she likes to idle at operating temp

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts