Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone!
GTT has been a wealth of information for us since purchasing the 1025R. Many thanks to all who contribute and moderate!

We are thinking it’s time to add to the fleet! Now operating a 12 acre apple farm bought next door. Long driveway so snow removal with cab and front blower is a must.

We have box blade, rake, tiller, post hole digger and rear mounted snow blower on the 1025R. Would like to be able to use some of these implements on the larger machine???

Thinking rear backhoe on the 3R or 4R is needed for trees and trenches.
Thinking power beyond and 4th and 5th hydraulics kits at factory install. Anything else?

Been leaning to the 4066R as the 3046R looks tippy to me.....and maybe the extra power is useful for the snow. The 1025R is a workhorse for smaller things and keeping that.

Interested in your thoughts on which way to go here. Used machines don’t seem like such a bargain these days with the dealer incentives and warranty, but I’m keeping an open mind.

Always interested in your thoughts as the collective knowledge here is impressive.

Many thanks in advance!
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
What width are your implements like the box blade and rake?

I have a 3039R with R4 tires.

I had a 5' box blade and a 5' rear blade.

I upgraded the box blade to 6' and sold the rear blade. I still have my 5' rotary cutter.

5' will just cover the rear tire tracks. If I replace the rear blade it will be at least 7' so that it can be used at an angle.

The 4 series will be even wider.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I was in your shoes and could afford a 4066R than that's the route I would go. The extra lift capacity with the 440R MSL loader, particularly, and the stronger backhoe, would be worth the upgrade. Though if you're looking at cost, a 3039r should work out just fine with the 320R loader and 375a backhoe.

Rick

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My advice would be front mounted blower and cab on the 1025 for snow removal, I have the 54” blower on the front of my 1025 and I have yet to meet snow it can’t handle, and we sometimes get stuff 4 - 5 feet deep. Smaller tractor is much more maneuverable for snow removal.

Then have the bigger tractor set up with a loader and backhoe for the heavy work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!
Dealer has shown me a 4066R Snow Tractor. Basically a 4066R with full cab, loader, 4/5 SCV, block heater, Nokian tires and mechanical seat....no air seat offered on this set up. Any experiences with this machine?

Looking to set up with a drag behind blower mounted on rear 3PT so can use loader. Upgrading to MSL loader.

Open to thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Dealer has shown me a 4066R Snow Tractor. Basically a 4066R with full cab, loader, 4/5 SCV, block heater, Nokian tires and mechanical seat....no air seat offered on this set up. Any experiences with this machine?

Looking to set up with a drag behind blower mounted on rear 3PT so can use loader. Upgrading to MSL loader.

I think you will be very happy with a 4066R. We have a 4052R open station and while it sounds our uses differ quite a bit from yours, I don't think I would be able to complete half the work I do using a 3 series in its place. The mechanical seat will be just fine. That is what we have and it cushions quite well if you adjust the weight accordingly. The 4th and 5th SCV are also a must. When not using your 3pt blower, you can add a hydraulic top and side link (top and tilt kit) for use with your box blade. Some of the implements you use on your 1025R may be undersized (box blade) for the 4066R, but once you have a 4R, you won't ever want to box blade with the 1025R again. The workload isn't even comparable. I.e. you may have to swap out to some bigger implements. Totally worth it in my opinion. We have all kinds of videos of our 4052R working on our YouTube page. They should give you a sense of what such a tractor is capable of. Our most recent one is below. Excited to see what you purchase!

Reactions: Jimboy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I just upgraded from a cab 3033R to a cab 4066R, I have the Nokian snows on mine and they are the best all around tire, great ride and plenty of traction and yes they are big tires! I have the air ride seat, a new 4066R should come standard with an air ride seat??? It has gobs of power and still good in tight spots. The 440 loader is a delight to use.

I just received my new 7’ Grattex snow boxes for the loader and I have new Normand 82” Hybrid Snowblowers for the rear coming in next week. It is so much easier hitching up 3pt snowblowers than front mount blowers.

So much more tractor in the 4 series.

Good Luck,

Kevin

John Deere 4066R

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the posts in the last couple of days!
I will ask about the air seat....it’s definitely a 4066R....called a Snow Tractor Model in the JD factory spec manual. I will ask about the seat again to be sure, dealer said it can be problematic and I just wonder if cold conditions may cause problems with water in the compressor/air bladder freezing over winter. I still like the idea of the air seat, but the simplicity of the mechanical is appealing too. Has anyone compared the ride quality.....is it day and night difference or just a bit better?

Glad to hear the Nokians are a good General purpose tire as I will have tilling to do and don’t want to get stuck in spring mud. Machine is coming with heavy duty bucket. I will be ordering Kens hooks as I did on the 1025R.

Thanks again for all thoughts and opinions! Yes my shed opening is huge so parking won’t be a problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the posts in the last couple of days!
I will ask about the air seat....it’s definitely a 4066R....called a Snow Tractor Model in the JD factory spec manual. I will ask about the seat again to be sure, dealer said it can be problematic and I just wonder if cold conditions may cause problems with water in the compressor/air bladder freezing over winter. I still like the idea of the air seat, but the simplicity of the mechanical is appealing too. Has anyone compared the ride quality.....is it day and night difference or just a bit better?

Glad to hear the Nokians are a good General purpose tire as I will have tilling to do and don’t want to get stuck in spring mud. Machine is coming with heavy duty bucket. I will be ordering Kens hooks as I did on the 1025R.

Thanks again for all thoughts and opinions! Yes my shed opening is huge so parking won’t be a problem.
The air ride seat is night and day over the spring ride, I would not want the spring seat again. Interesting thought about freezing in the winter, time will tell. The heavy duty bucket comes with chain loops already installed, not sure you will need hooks. I did order hydraulic top links from Fit-Rite, those will arrive tomorrow. Order that early, times from order to ship is about 20 weeks.

Good luck,

Kevin

John Deere 4066R

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whatever model you get make sure you get the deluxe cab with an air ride seat. I have a 3046r cabbed tractor and love it. The cab is great and very comfortable in the summer and winter. Nothing like blowing snow in a short sleeve shirt. I don't know what all you will be doing, but get what you think you will need and then get more. Such as hydraulic connections. Don't buy a non factory cab because you will regret it when the wind is blowing in. Factory anything is always better so don't try to save a few bucks. Get what you want now so you don't have to buy another tractor later. I did that the first time and learned a lesson. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally agree Jeb182......we don’t buy these things every day. This is why I find the insights here so valuable. I think I need to call Deere HO as dealer can’t tell me why the snow cab has no air ride seat. It otherwise has all the deluxe cab features. I’m not doing the radio as I’m not a big music guy when I work. Figure can always add it later if I get bored.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whatever you do get enjoy it. Looking at implements is fun too and they are expensive just like the tractors. But, every implement I have I use frequently. Enjoy.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Whatever model you get make sure you get the deluxe cab with an air ride seat. I have a 3046r cabbed tractor and love it. The cab is great and very comfortable in the summer and winter. Nothing like blowing snow in a short sleeve shirt. I don't know what all you will be doing, but get what you think you will need and then get more. Such as hydraulic connections. Don't buy a non factory cab because you will regret it when the wind is blowing in. Factory anything is always better so don't try to save a few bucks. Get what you want now so you don't have to buy another tractor later. I did that the first time and learned a lesson. Good luck.
True, so true. Another benefit of a factory cab is it's quiet, I can be mowing with my MX6 (or MX8) and listen to music or whatever (and not breathing in dust and pollen.) Order a bunch of hydraulic options at the beginning rather than to add them later.

Reactions: Jimboy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts