Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok most clever GTT people thoughts on how to attach a 6” vise to a pickup truck tailgate
When at farm would be nice to have extra “hand” or solid pounding spot.
Have seen hitch type but I want to be able to open tailgate and still have available also at waist high
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
:munch:

Not sure a tailgate would be enough to support a vise.

Maybe I just use too big of a hammer. :lol:

Interesting to see what solutions you get offered.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
The tailgate isn't a good place for a vise. The hitch would be the best place for one. IMO! If you have to have the gate down when using it, you could come out far enough to clear the gate, then go vertical to get the vise pretty much even with the gate. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
How about a Wilton ATV vise? I use one of these on my bucket with Ken's 2" receiver. Works fantastic for a 3rd hand and sharpening mower blades and other things.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
A blacksmith's post/leg vice may work. I've seen them mounted on the rear of trucks before. One could be modified to use the hitch receiver to extend beyond the tailgate. A regular bench vice could also be mounted this way, just make an extension that allows it to contact the ground for better stability.

Here's a link to a thread on Garage Journal that may be helpful.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
While you could certainly mount one to the tailgate, the tailgate wont take the pounding, or loading, the vise will.
Most tailgates come off pretty easily, and arent meant to take loads like the vise will give, or like you will impart on the vise and it will transfer to the tailgate.
Most true work trucks I see around here have them mounted to the bumper, but even then, the bumper is a custom job that sticks out further than a standard bumper would.

Were you to want to try it anyway, the best idea would be a large plate that would spread the load over a larger surface of the tailgate, since most are just thin sheet metal, and not thick enough to even mount a vise on.
Id want at least 1/4", and likely would want to cover the half of the tailgate the vise is on, or if centered, the middle 50%.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
While you could certainly mount one to the tailgate, the tailgate wont take the pounding, or loading, the vise will.
Most tailgates come off pretty easily, and arent meant to take loads like the vise will give, or like you will impart on the vise and it will transfer to the tailgate.
Most true work trucks I see around here have them mounted to the bumper, but even then, the bumper is a custom job that sticks out further than a standard bumper would.

Were you to want to try it anyway, the best idea would be a large plate that would spread the load over a larger surface of the tailgate, since most are just thin sheet metal, and not thick enough to even mount a vise on.
Id want at least 1/4", and likely would want to cover the half of the tailgate the vise is on, or if centered, the middle 50%.

back when i worked on the strip jobs, if u rolled a 55 gallon barrel of oil, across ur tail gate the wrong way, u bent it. lots of pickups running around town with bent tail gates for a while. then the welding shop that built truck dump beds. bent up aluminum covers for the inside of the tail gates.
everyone was buying new tail gates then, and pop riveted the cover onto the inside of tail gate. u could then roll a 55 gal barrel of oil across and off ur tail gate without bending it.

now would a vise be ok o that-IDK for sure. but i liked my cover for sure. had pieces made up for the top rails all the way around my pickup bed at the same time. :hide: after my neighbor fixed all the missed throws of firewood.:laugh:

i haven't seen such a cover on tailgates for yrs now.:dunno:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think all of the concerns with a tailgate mounted vise make sense. I would add that when the tailgate is in the “up” position the weight of the vise will create a large moment that is going to want to tear the whole thing apart while driving and hitting bumps. The fasteners are in shear and over time I think something is going to fail. I don’t think a normal tailgate is going to take that and if it ever lets loose while driving it’s going to leave a mark.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for thoughts....I was hoping for a different outcome, but knew a tailgate is just not strong enough.......so either make a reciver hitch that will fit or for lighter applications just throw my workmate in the back....
again thanks for all your thoughts.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've seen welders mount a 2" receiver tube into various positions on their truck for mounting a vice. Don't know if you can weld but I've seen then mounted vertically to the rear bumper(this was an older truck truck with a steel bumper), and then the vice sits on a 2" receiver post. Have also seen them mounted on the corner of the bumper mounted horizontally and then the vice slides in sideways and sticks out to the side of the truck so the tailgate can still be down when mounted.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How about a Wilton ATV vise? I use one of these on my bucket with Ken's 2" receiver. Works fantastic for a 3rd hand and sharpening mower blades and other things.

I also have this vise .. it is awesome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts