Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have experience adjusting the diff lock? Would like to learn how. My lock stays on. The brakes seem to be too tight. May try to adjust the brakes, but seems a bit complex. Someone said their parking brake affected things also.

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
This may help a little. It's a pretty involved process...

Diff lock adj.jpg

adj brakes 1.jpg

adj brakes 2.jpg

adj brakes 3.jpg

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh, oh, that's what I was afraid of. Need to find some patience for this one. Thanks:boredom:
Patience is a virtue... Maybe you are like me, not very virtuous. :empathy3:

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
167 Posts
While mowing last night i played with my brake pedal. WOW only takes 1/2"movement too get diff locked. Now i see why guys are getting trouble. Its a highly tuned machine :D

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I'll be doing a hydraulic oil change soon and this thread makes me think that I should inspect and adjust these things while I have the back end on blocks.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
While mowing last night i played with my brake pedal. WOW only takes 1/2"movement too get diff locked. Now i see why guys are getting trouble. Its a highly tuned machine :D
"Precision tuned", just like the "Try And Drive Over Deck" mower!:laugh: Can't wait until the JD watch maker gets mine "adjusted" to the "Eastern Time Zone"!

I'll also be doing the 50 hour this week and I'll also be studying how the diff lock/brake linkages interact. I can imagine JD designed the linkage this way to provide some healthy "automatic" help in case of traction loss or a panic stop going downhill. This one's a GOOD John Deere idea, however, unless they get the adjustments right before it's delivered it's another not so happy customer.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
"Precision tuned", just like the "Try And Drive Over Deck" mower!:laugh: Can't wait until the JD watch maker gets mine "adjusted" to the "Eastern Time Zone"!

I'll also be doing the 50 hour this week and I'll also be studying how the diff lock/brake linkages interact. I can imagine JD designed the linkage this way to provide some healthy "automatic" help in case of traction loss or a panic stop going downhill. This one's a GOOD John Deere idea, however, unless they get the adjustments right before it's delivered it's another not so happy customer.
They designed it that way because there is only 1 brake, so you have to lock the wheels together via the diff lock to get 2 wheel braking.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
They designed it that way because there is only 1 brake, so you have to lock the wheels together via the diff lock to get 2 wheel braking.:thumbup1gif:
Which will save some serious butt when in a hurry going downhill towards that railroad crossing!:laugh:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Aha! So, this would be why when after I have been stopped with the brake lock on, I start up making a sharp turn and the tractor acts like the diff lock is engaged? Because it is and never fully disengaged? Maybe mine is a little to tight? :unknown:

Mr. Moose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts