Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long PTO shaft for the front PTO required replacement on my 1025R, and when it was put back together, the RIO would kill the tractor when put into reverse - The same problem that has been discussed in a number of threads on this site. I did a lot of searching for adjusting the RIO sensor on this forum, but came up empty handed. I purchased my 2013 1025R used in 2018, and never had an issue wth the RIO.

Our church had also purchased a 1025R for snow removal in 2018 after we had paid $7,200 the previous year for snow removal, and it as been a great purchase. But I recalled when we first started using the tractor, I needed to depress the PTO switch when backing up. I mentioned this to the JD tech when he stopped by to adjust something else, and he took care of the problem by using a zip tie as a feeler gauge between the sensor and the PTO shaft. That was four years ago, so I thought I'd give it a try. He had done it without removing the snowblower.

I backed the front wheels up on ramps to give better access to the PTO shaft and sensor. It was only necessary to loosen two of the nuts on the bolts securing the Hall effect sensor bracket, which were also securing one of the front bearings. A 17 mm ratcheting wrench worked very well. I put the zip tie in place, adjusted the bracket, and tightened the nuts. The zip tie was then removed.

I started blowing snow, and held my breath a bit when I first backed up. But low and behold, the tractor did not kill when going into reverse without the need of the RIO override. The rest of the snowblowing went well.

For those of us seasonally swapping out a snowblower, it is very easy to check the gap to do the adjustment when the snowblower is going on, or coming off. .

Purhaps this is covered in the JD 025R technical manual, which I do not have.

Just wanted to share this option for anyone dealing with the RIO issue.

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering Coil

· Registered
4,031 Posts
There is a better one permanent fix. Course the safety police would be out if I told ya.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was debating whether to do the jumper at the knob switch on the panel, or open up the area under the seat and zip tie the switch at the reverse lever. I was surprised how well adjusting the Hall sensor went, and how easy it was.

And no safety switch police to deal with. :)

· Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Purhaps this is covered in the JD 025R technical manual, which I do not have.
It isn't covered in the tech manual. The tractor's tech manuals cover the basic tractor itself. They don't mention implemets. You have to buy the implement's tech manual (if there is one!) if you want tech details in an implement.

I do believe the adjustment procedure for the RIO is listed in the 2000 RPM PTO shaft installation instructions that come with that kit.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Here are the instructions for my 1026R, 1025R should be the same.

Attachments

· Registered
1,493 Posts
the other "fix" got done on mine before i mowed the grass the second rime
Why’d you wait so long, mine was fixed right after the dealer dropped it off.

· Premium Member
1025r, FEL, 54”mmm, 54” front mount snowblower, 42”forks
16 Posts
my snowblower stays running when in reverse but the MMM does not. been like that since I bought it.just got used to it

· Registered
56 Posts
my snowblower stays running when in reverse but the MMM does not. been like that since I bought it.just got used to it
That's what the RIO is for, to keep the PTO running while using the Snowblower. If you look, there is no RIO for your MMM. Its designed that way

TBH I just use a wooden cloths pin under my PTO switch to keep the PTO running while using my blower. I didn't care about installing and wiring the RIO for the blower

· Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
5,233 Posts
TBH I just use a wooden cloths pin under my PTO switch to keep the PTO running while using my blower. I didn't care about installing and wiring the RIO for the blower
The newer machines don't have the pull-up PTO switch. It's a rocker switch so the clothespin trick doesn't work as you have to manually hold down the switch while starting reverse to keep the engine from stalling.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Funny, my 445 never came with a RIO and the 1026R did. Now they both work the way an adult would use them. Have a toggle switch on the 1026R if I ever let the Grand-kids use it, though the Mower has not been on the 1026R since 2013. 445 is a much better mowing machine.

· Registered
4,031 Posts
Funny, my 445 never came with a RIO and the 1026R did. Now they both work the way an adult would use them. Have a toggle switch on the 1026R if I ever let the Grand-kids use it, though the Mower has not been on the 1026R since 2013. 445 is a much better mowing machine.
Yeah. It is ridiculous. The nanny state will do anything to be ridiculous. You can run over kids with the snow blower going forward too if you don't appropriately teach your children respect for moving equipment. No one teaches anything anymore. That is why they are trying to have self driving cars.
Just teach people, stop doing away with common sense and all will be fine.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,679 Posts
That's what the RIO is for, to keep the PTO running while using the Snowblower. If you look, there is no RIO for your MMM. Its designed that way

I am glad your 1026r is blowing snow and everything works with how the entire process started. But, a little patience, some hitch and component knowledge and careful research, the right parts and away you go.......or should I say "went".......since it now works....... (y)

· Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I vote for the zip tie on the switch under the seat. Done it on two different tractors and its quick and easy.

· Registered
213 Posts
Caldoh said:

Does the MMM not work in reverse due to it's a 2019 model? Because on my 2014 the RIO allows the MMM to be operated in reverse.

· Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Does the MMM not work in reverse due to it's a 2019 model? Because on my 2014 the RIO allows the MMM to be operated in reverse.

I think PA-Homesteader mis-stated something there. What he should have said is:

"That's what the RIO Hall Effect Sensor is for, to keep the PTO running while using the Snowblower. If you look, there is no RIO Hall Effect Sensor for your MMM. Its designed that way "

All the Deere mowers since 2014 have had RIO. And every machine that has RIO has some means of pushing a button or holding up a knob to allow the mower to continue to operate while you are in reverse. But mower decks do not have a hall effect sensor that allow you to operate in reverse WITHOUT having to operate some sort of switch.

That function only exists when using implements that attach to the front of the machine on a Quick Tach hitch AND use the front PTO shaft. The key there is that the hall effect sensor operates on the front PTO shaft, not the PTO stub that the MMM decks attach too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts