Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I need to mow in less than ideal conditions (damp grass and muddy areas with poor drainage). Naturally, this leaves my x540 looking terrible. I plan to pressure wash the wheel rims and deck while trying to avoid the spindles. I'm hoping someone can recommend a good pre-treatment cleaner. Should I use a degreasing agent for the grass "stains"? I don't expect it to look brand new but I'm doubtful that pressure washing alone will do the trick. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Simple Green is amazing at cleaning grass stains and other things off surfaces.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ill 2nd Simple Green.
You can do an awful lot with it, depending on how much you dilute it.
I use that on tough stuff the regular car wash soap wont take off.
On tires, I use what used to be Black Magic (formerly Westleys) Bleche White for the tough stuff.

Personally, Im much more fond of a soft bristle brush, like youd use on car wheels, to clean that stuff. Works faster and better than a pressure washer, and you dont get water everywhere you dont want it at high pressure.

But then Im more of a wash, wax, tire shine my tractor kind of guy. If Im going to clean it, Im going to CLEAN it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm a Simple Green fan as well. Just mist it on, wait about 5 minutes (agitate it a bit with an old paint brush if you find just waiting to be too boring), and spray it off. For most jobs, I just use the spray nozzle on a garden hose instead of setting up the pressure washer.

I even use it on my car engines - same mist and spray off technique. No pressure washing.
simple green.jpg

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,288 Posts
Mean Green does a great job too. When I had to get a lot of oil off my tractor that was all over I just sprayed it with mean green and then hosed it off with a garden hose. Looked like new after I hosed it off.

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
Mean Green does a great job too. When I had to get a lot of oil off my tractor that was all over I just sprayed it with mean green and then hosed it off with a garden hose. Looked like new after I hosed it off.
Mean Green here also. I think that is the brand Mrs. C gets at the dollar store.

As said above - I first spray off what will come off then soak it down with Mean Green and let it sit for a few seconds. Everything comes right off. The trick I found is not to let it dry before you do the final spray. For some reason the stuff dries quickly.

It I have a stool nearby I will wipe it down with a rag after the Mean Green spray - then rinse off with the pressure washer.

One thing to note - be gently with the pressure washer on the wheels after the grass has been on them for a while. The acidity in the grass will eat right through the powder coat(?) - with enough pressure the paint on the wheels will come off in chunks. Don’t ask me how I know.....

I go through this quite often as I am almost always mowing wet grass be it wet from dew almost all day or from some nearby springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts