Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to spread 2 tons of pelletized lime. I have a 1025R, and will be using a Frontier SS1067B broascast spreader on my imatch hitch. I have removed my FELand the MMM. I have a Heavy Hitch front weight bracket, and I have 8- 42 lb weights available to use. The broadcast spreader holds 670 pounds. My tires are not fluid filled, and do not have wheel weights. I need advice about how much front weight to use.

To me the confusing part is that I will be starting with around 600 pounds of lime in the hopper, but as I spread the lime, the hopper weight will decrease to zero.

So, do I use front weights based on the full hopper, the empty hopper, or somewhere in the middle? And how much weight?

Thanks for any advice, or your own experience.
:unknown:

Reactions: Traction

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts
If it were me I’d load the rack right up. You’ll need it with the hopper full (actually you’d want more, but use what you have) and it won’t hurt anything with an empty hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I'd probably rack it up with all your suitcase weights too. If the front end feels light with the hopper full, add more weight, or put your FEL back on.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
Another way to look at it - if you only have room for 8 weights and it would be inconvenient to have your loader on, and you feel you don’t have enough weight, you can always put less than 600# in the hopper. There is nothing saying you have to fill it up. A few more trips maybe but better to be safe.

I’m just glad to see anyone think ahead about ballast weather it be front or rear.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kind of reading between the lines here, but I get the impression that ideally I need the same amount of added weight in the front as the weight of the spreader and its contents on the back.

The weight bracket instructions say to remove the loader, so I don't know whether it's possible to run with both loader and the front weight bracket and weights. I suppose I could go to larger weights.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if I put too much weight on the front, and get near the end of the hopper contents, I'd have a situation similar to using a FEL without enough rear ballast.

It seems that the Frontier SS1067B spreader is overly large for the capabilities of the 1025R. I do understand that I don't need to fill the hopper completely, though. Until now, my spreading per acre of seed and fertilizer has always been in the 2/3 full hopper range. That's why I was wondering how much front weight for a full hopper. The steering feels really light with the 8 weights and less than a full spreader.

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts
Doc, I’ll give you an example. With my 580 lb tiller 8 42# weights is simply not enough, that’s why I also have a rack of 70# weights, those do the trick. However, if you are on flat ground a little lighter in the front wouldn’t bother me. Yes you can have the OEM bolt on weight bracket on with the FEL, no you cannot have any weights on it.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I'd mount up all the suitcase weights you have. If you're headed up a grade with spreader, you'll need all the weight you can get.

I have the KK poly spreader and no weights. I ALWAYS spread with the loader attached and frequently I'll toss another 300# to 400# (50# bags) of fertilizer in the loader not for weight but to get more spread time before running back to the garage. With the hopper full and no additional bags in the loader, it feels light. Spread the flats before the slopes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 600# Behlen Country tiller hanging off the back of my quick hitch.
I leave the FEL on and I throw 5 cinder blocks in the bucket.
Unless you are tight for space I would just leave the FEL on to use the spreader.

Doc, I’ll give you an example. With my 580 lb tiller 8 42# weights is simply not enough, that’s why I also have a rack of 70# weights, those do the trick. However, if you are on flat ground a little lighter in the front wouldn’t bother me. Yes you can have the OEM bolt on weight bracket on with the FEL, no you cannot have any weights on it.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
To add on more comparison, if you hang a 600 lb. ballast box on the I-match without anything on the front end, you can steer very easily, if you know what I mean. I would never want to go up too steep of a hill with this situation.

So, if the front wheels are touching the ground with 600 lbs. on the I match but not really loaded against the ground, any weight that you hang on the Heavy Hitch front weight bar will be added directly to the front wheels plus some leverage since the weights are hanging in front the the front axle.

So, if you add 8 - 42 lb. suitcase weights to the front weight bar, then you will be loading an additional 336 lb. plus the leverage factor to the front axle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes you can have the OEM bolt on weight bracket on with the FEL, no you cannot have any weights on it.

I can confirm that. I leave the OEM bracket on. I made sure to look last time I put the loader on and I cannot see any clearance issues at all.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
... Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if I put too much weight on the front, and get near the end of the hopper contents, I'd have a situation similar to using a FEL without enough rear ballast.
Overthinking is not bad, especially if you are thinking to avoid any unsafe situations. :thumbup1gif:

Here's some more thoughts:
- The FEL weighs what, IIRC just about 625 lbs or so(?). Running around with an empty FEL bucket and no back ballast is not dangerous, and would not overly wear the front axle pivot much. Front axle assembly is meant to hold some weight. Add full lifting weight to the front bucket without rear ballast is a MUCH different story.
- Worse part of full FEL bucket and not enough rear ballast is when the FEL weight is high, I'll assume you're not going to do that.
- Your empty spreader weighs something, maybe a couple hundred lbs? So when your spreader is empty, there is some ballast back there.
- Having too much rear ballast (having a full load in your spreader) lightens the front wheels too much for steering/traction. Not good if you can't steer, especially if going down hill, cross hill or up hill. Even on level ground, if you can't steer with the front wheels, you don't have separate wheel brakes to help you steer.
- I have read that some series 1 owners mow with the FEL on and no rear ballast, maybe a time saving thing, or just being a bit lazy :dunno:, but they have their FEL on with the added weight of the MMM. No tractor problems have been reported (that I know about). Does that sound similar to your empty spreader condition?

I'd suggest putting enough front ballast to make sure you have enough steering weight with your full spreader hopper, a few extra lbs of front ballast won't hurt anything when you're empty.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you all for the recommendations. I spread the first one acre pasture late this morning after the grass dried off from the dew.

In re-checking the Deere web site, the hopper capacity of the SS1067B spreader is listed as 678 lbs. The machine weight is 125 lbs so the unloaded total spreader weight, including the PTO shaft and the imatch hitch is probably in the 250 lb ballpark.

When I filled the hopper with pelletized lime from 40 lb bags, it held 13 of the bags, or 520 lbs. I should have expected this because of the air spaces around the pellets. So, I started out with 520 lbs of hopper contents, plus about 250 LBS of machine, for a total of 770 lbs behind the lift arms. Up front I had the Heavy Htch weight bracket and front receiver and 8- 42 lb weights. I'd estimate the front weight total at about 350 lbs.

Starting out, the steering was really, really light. In fact in a few places I had no traction on the front at all, and briefly no steering control at all. The lesson I learned was that I need more front weight, or less weight in the hopper. Luckily the pasture I spread first is my most sloped one (picture below), but on the other hand it's also my smoothest since I groomed it for horse jumping. The lesson I learned was that for the remainder of my spreading, I'll be starting with less product in the hopper, and make a few more re-fill stops. I also re-connected my seat kill switch and wore my seat belt for the second run of 11 bags. That second 80 lb smaller load was still too much for good control.

IMG-1024.JPG

Reactions: PJR832 and Tomfive

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The Heavy Hitch front weight bracket will also accept 8 of the 70 pound suitcase weights. I think that would address your issue, albeit a rather pricey solution. However, far less expensive than a loss of control. Of course, you shouldn't have an issue finding a home for the 42 pound suitcase weights, if you found you no longer needed them after moving to the 70s. They seem to go for as much used as they do new around here.

You have a beautiful piece of property and your diligence in caring for it is obvious.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Mrs. Doc wonders why I don't put as much time and energy into building and repairing things in the house as I spend outside. I tell her I enjoy building horse jumps because the horses and riders don't care if I left a gap at a mitered corner, or it doesn't quite sit even. That's what shims and caulk are for. And I spent my entire working career in offices and ORs without any windows. I'm making up for my sun, sky, horse, and tractor deficit.

Back on topic, I do use the 42 lb weights with the rotary cutter. That maybe is overkill, since the 1025R can't lift the tail wheel off the ground when mowing any higher than 6 inches.

Thanks everyone for the help on the weight/spreader question.:bigthumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts