Green Tractor Talk banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Probably has something to do with the front porch and potentially the rest of the house and largely on becoming the target of his wife's wrath if he burnt it down.
True. That is not something to be taken lightly. Our next door neighbor had an underground nest in a small bush at the corner of his deck. He waited until dark, poured down some liquid gold and fired it up. He stayed out with it until everything had burned out. Or so he thought. A few hours later his wife came home and told him the bush outside was on fire. Sure enough... the bush was burning. Thankfully he was able to get everything quenched with the hose but thought about how differently things may have gone had his wife not come home later.

It might not be a bad idea to flood the hole with water after burning them out.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Probably has something to do with the front porch and potentially the rest of the house and largely on becoming the target of his wife's wrath if he burnt it down.
True. That is not something to be taken lightly. Our next door neighbor had an underground nest in a small bush at the corner of his deck. He waited until dark, poured down some liquid gold and fired it up. He stayed out with it until everything had burned out. Or so he thought. A few hours later his wife came home and told him the bush outside was on fire. Sure enough... the bush was burning. Thankfully he was able to get everything quenched with the hose but thought about how differently things may have gone had his wife not come home later.

It might not be a bad idea to flood the hole with water after burning them out.
Exactly right. The stump is 20’ from the corner of the house. It measures 54” where the last cut was. The tree was between 150’-200’ - white pine. I’m sure the root structure has to extend at least 50’ from the stump proper. Also my 1000 gal fuel tank is within that proximity also.

Did the diesel and gas last night - covered the entrance with a piece of screen and a rock. Still a half dozen or so who look like they are trying to get in.

I’ve basically given up. I might try flooding it with water tonight but I have a feeling that I will never fill it up. There are likely huge off shoots and canyons under that stump. If I had a backhoe I would just dress up after dark and destroy the entrance.

F4FDF452-907A-472C-8561-731F777609EB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
CT, have you considered plugging the hole?

Maybe try some of that spray foam, maybe the 'big gap' version.

717355.jpg

·
Registered
21,962 Posts

View attachment 704654
Never thought about that stuff. I think I will find some if they persist for a few more days.

I left the hole covered with a piece of screen and a rock all day yesterday and overnight. Yesterday I saw maybe 6 or 8 flying around - looked like they were trying to find a way in.

Too cold yet this morning to see any activity yet.....

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

Something like that might work. I had a few mole holes that they kept re-opening and I used some of this stuff and they never re-opened them. Ideally, it would be good if you could fit a small extension on the nozzle so you could stick it further down the hole before you started spraying.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
I just walked past the nest on my way to the mailbox. It’s 77* now but the sun is not shining directly on it yet.

Zero activity - not one flying around. I am cautiously optimistic.......

I may very well have some other nests to deal with. I really think the idea of the expanding foam is a great one. I may get a can next trip to town next week.

Jgayman - I think I remember seeing cans of the stuff come with a tube strapped to the can on the shelf in the past.

·
Premium Member
11,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I just walked past the nest on my way to the mailbox. It’s 77* now but the sun is not shining directly on it yet.

Zero activity - not one flying around. I am cautiously optimistic.......

I may very well have some other nests to deal with. I really think the idea of the expanding foam is a great one. I may get a can next trip to town next week.

Jgayman - I think I remember seeing cans of the stuff come with a tube strapped to the can on the shelf in the past.
Yes, they come with a tube that is about 6-inches long or so. But if you had a piece of plastic tubing that would slip over the supplied tube/nozzle, you could really jam that baby down the hole before pulling the trigger. Otherwise, you'll probably only get about 12" of foam before it starts coming back at you out the hole.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Yes, they come with a tube that is about 6-inches long or so. But if you had a piece of plastic tubing that would slip over the supplied tube/nozzle, you could really jam that baby down the hole before pulling the trigger. Otherwise, you'll probably only get about 12" of foam before it starts coming back at you out the hole.
The thing is - without being able to see down there - is I would want the entrance sealed. If I stick a tube down too far it will all be lost as I believe it’s like a canyon under there. From what I can see the entrance hole is only about 4” deep at most at the diameter it is at the top. So the plan would be to seal that 4” from the top down.

This is the image I have in my mind....sorry - first time trying to finger draw on my iPad....

138A646E-0FBE-4776-BD32-5909223AC10E.png

·
Registered
622 Posts
The thing is - without being able to see down there - is I would want the entrance sealed. If I stick a tube down too far it will all be lost as I believe it’s like a canyon under there.
As I understand, yellow jackets can't dig. They just use existing cavities. You can just block the entrance and let them die off -- no need to fill everything down deep. A mound of foam, a glass bowl, or both would work just fine. You might find a second entrance somewhere else, but can deal with it in the same way. I think it's safer NOT to go deep and risk leaving an escape path. You can spray a foaming wasp/hornet killer into the hole before the final sticky foam sealer if you're nervous.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
As I understand, yellow jackets can't dig. They just use existing cavities. You can just block the entrance and let them die off -- no need to fill everything down deep. A mound of foam, a glass bowl, or both would work just fine. You might find a second entrance somewhere else, but can deal with it in the same way. I think it's safer NOT to go deep and risk leaving an escape path. You can spray a foaming wasp/hornet killer into the hole before the final sticky foam sealer if you're nervous.
This is what I have learned through this. Just blocking the entrance seems to have worked.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
If just blocking the entrance then all you need is some sos pads without the soap. Can't think of the name right now. Insects and rodents can dig through them. Plug the hole and forget it.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I'd be afraid that spraying them first might make some that I missed upset with me! Squirt the hole with foam and run would be the plan for me.:lol:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I haven't read all of this thread to see if this was mentioned but we have been evicting yellow jackets all summer. With all the siding and soffits coming off they found a lot of nests. As we evict them they find a new place. One group set up home right next to the gas meter. While it was on the ground and not connected to the house, it was too close to gas to consider fire. I used one of the techniques I had read about in the past. Since I could see the hole they were coming in and out of, I just set the hose to my shop vac right next to it and left it run. Several hours later I emptied it and there were at least 100 dead wasps in there. I guess getting beat up by all the ribs in the hose on the way to the tank kills them.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
I haven't read all of this thread to see if this was mentioned but we have been evicting yellow jackets all summer. With all the siding and soffits coming off they found a lot of nests. As we evict them they find a new place. One group set up home right next to the gas meter. While it was on the ground and not connected to the house, it was too close to gas to consider fire. I used one of the techniques I had read about in the past. Since I could see the hole they were coming in and out of, I just set the hose to my shop vac right next to it and left it run. Several hours later I emptied it and there were at least 100 dead wasps in there. I guess getting beat up by all the ribs in the hose on the way to the tank kills them.
I did see one video where someone put a couple inches of water with dish soap in the shop vac. Guess maybe he didn’t need to....

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I did see one video where someone put a couple inches of water with dish soap in the shop vac. Guess maybe he didn’t need to....
Probably not. One other thing I left off was I didn't have the hose in a straight line. Lots of bends and twists so they would have a lot of impacts on the way to the can.

I have seen the dishsoap thing as well but not sure if it would be a big foamy mess.

You do have to have a good idea where they are coming and going.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts