Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a possibility of buying a used aerator from Agrimetal, it’s a 48”with independant wheels. The model is an FA480 TP

Here’s more product information: AgriMetal Tractor 3 point Hitch Professional Turf Core Aerator

What do you guys think about using that aerator with a 1025r? It weighs 760 lbs, within the specs of the1025r but wow is it heavy.

Thanks for the inputs.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
The lift capacity is I think 650lbs at 24" behind the arms. At 760lbs some unknown distance back, you may or may not be able to lift it.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts
The lift capacity is I think 650lbs at 24" behind the arms. At 760lbs some unknown distance back, you may or may not be able to lift it.
1177 lbs at the lift link ends
758 lbs 24" behind

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Do you have a quick hitch?

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
Too heavy. I wouldn't want to use that on the 1 series and I have done a lot of aerating with my 1025r. It's actually a very handy service for neighbors as most don't have access to the equipment and aerating does wonders at improving the density of the lawn when done properly.

I own a Frontier Core Aerator which is 60" wide and it weighs 360 pounds. Occasionally, I have to hang suitcase weights on the frame to help pull the core depth. But even then, at 450 pounds, the aerator is about the max weight you want on the tractor and using it to properly core.

When the aerator is too heavy, it makes tractor control an issue plus you need to always be able to lift the aerator to fill lift height because of the grades, slopes, curbs, you name it where the aerator is being used.

At 760 pounds for a 48" aerator, that's heavy. That heavy of a core aerator is better suited for a 2032r or 2038r in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You would have an iffy situation with that weight, but you won't know until you try. My 1025R can lift 600 pounds of fertilizer in a Frontier spreader, on the imatch. Add a ninth bag, and it just gives up. The spreader specs say it weighs 125 pounds.

So, where the spreader and imatch place the weight behind my tractor , my 1025R three point lift can do 725 pounds, but it struggles a lot to get it up to max height for spreading. It can't do 775.

And at that max weight, I need 8-42 lb suitcase weights on the front to have any steering at all. Of course, steering gradually gets better as the fertilizer is spread. But if you can lift that aerator, you will definitely need front weight.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Oh ya. Even if you do manage to get that thing to lift up (doubtful), you will need a heavy load of material in the bucket, or a loaded front weight bracket to have functional steering. I'd also be concerned about getting it high enough due to the limited lift height of the 1-series. If you could try-before-you-buy, go for it. But I'd be leery of spending a lot of money and they hoping it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It answers my question, thanks all!

The search for an affordable 3 point aerator starts again. I looked at the Frontier CA2048E and it’s quite pricy but the weight and size is nice.

Reactions: Bill56

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Ya they're all very pricy. It looks like something that should be simple and inexpensive. But think about how much steel is in that package. To be strong enough and heavy enough to, it's an enormous amount of steel. Steel is expensive. Cutting and assembling that steel is expensive. Then a huge chunk is just shipping that dead weight around. Kind of why suitcase weights are so expensive. Shipping dead weight.

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
454 Posts
Hello all,

I have a possibility of buying a used aerator from Agrimetal, it’s a 48”with independant wheels. The model is an FA480 TP

Here’s more product information: AgriMetal Tractor 3 point Hitch Professional Turf Core Aerator

What do you guys think about using that aerator with a 1025r? It weighs 760 lbs, within the specs of the1025r but wow is it heavy.

Thanks for the inputs.
I looked at 3 pt aerators for my 1025R and gave up. They're crazy expensive. I bought an Agri-fab tow behind 46" (?) and at first was disappointed. I added six 42 lb wts and a piece of rubber mat and a couple of bungee cords to keep them from bouncing around. That worked. Next, I watered the lawn before aerating and slowed down the tractor. For less than $200 this thing does an excellent job!

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
It answers my question, thanks all!

The search for an affordable 3 point aerator starts again. I looked at the Frontier CA2048E and it’s quite pricy but the weight and size is nice.
Just bought one! The CA2048e is a nice aerator! I got it from a JD Dealer for $2135.00 including tax. It is expensive but its well built, pulls some very nice plugs, very serviceable and should work well w/your 1025r. I'm pulling mine with a 2025r and don't hardly feel it back there.

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Morning
I used a rental pull behind last year. It had water jugs to add weight, and was a real "pull behind" not 3point hitch, so I had to get off, walk back, and pull the lever to lift the spoons up for travel, going over the driveway etc.

I've wanted one for couple years though, so this spring I pulled the trigger.

I like the Everything Attachments alternating depth model, spoke to them a couple times. But the 48" is 877lbs.

I generally do extra research before deciding to do something this big, looked at a couple other brands, and I asked my dealer to quote a CA2060 - which he did, but he heartily recommended the CA2048E at 300lbs as a better match to a 2025R. Brochure says 60" is ok down to 25hp. And an aerator requires no power hook up, you only pull it along.

In comparison, the EA is much heavier, which is ok for an aerator, but I decided in the end - the EA was too heavy - out of my comfort zone. Akin to a pickup that can trailer a max 8,000lbs - do you want to put an 8000 camper behind it? (don't think so...)

Can't make an 877lb implement lighter, but the CA2048 can be made heavier easy enough if necessary.

So a month ago, I picked up the CA2048E. Tried it first with 120lbs extra on it. 3 point lifted it no problem. Got ok holes + plugs, about 2". Ground was pretty hard + dry.
Wasn't exactly 'easy' pulling, but worked OK: I ran about 2200 rpm, felt the tractor had to put in a bit of effort in spots. Did 3+ acres in 1 hour - 30 min

Fertilized, and did a light overseed. Now waiting to see if it improves the lawn. Will aerate again in fall
Plant People in nature Leg Gesture Finger Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Reactions: Bill56

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Morning
I used a rental pull behind last year. It had water jugs to add weight, and was a real "pull behind" not 3point hitch, so I had to get off, walk back, and pull the lever to lift the spoons up for travel, going over the driveway etc.

I've wanted one for couple years though, so this spring I pulled the trigger.

I like the Everything Attachments alternating depth model, spoke to them a couple times. But the 48" is 877lbs.

I generally do extra research before deciding to do something this big, looked at a couple other brands, and I asked my dealer to quote a CA2060 - which he did, but he heartily recommended the CA2048E at 300lbs as a better match to a 2025R. Brochure says 60" is ok down to 25hp. And an aerator requires no power hook up, you only pull it along.

In comparison, the EA is much heavier, which is ok for an aerator, but I decided in the end - the EA was too heavy - out of my comfort zone. Akin to a pickup that can trailer a max 8,000lbs - do you want to put an 8000 camper behind it? (don't think so...)

Can't make an 877lb implement lighter, but the CA2048 can be made heavier easy enough if necessary.

So a month ago, I picked up the CA2048E. Tried it first with 120lbs extra on it. 3 point lifted it no problem. Got ok holes + plugs, about 2". Ground was pretty hard + dry.
Wasn't exactly 'easy' pulling, but worked OK: I ran about 2200 rpm, felt the tractor had to put in a bit of effort in spots. Did 3+ acres in 1 hour - 30 min

Fertilized, and did a light overseed. Now waiting to see if it improves the lawn. Will aerate again in fall
View attachment 782930 View attachment 782931
I also thought about EA Aerator because they're only a few hours away but like yourself, it's pretty heavy! I also thought about the CA2060 but for the amount of work I do and the price difference I went with the CA2048 instead.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Though I have a X595 I've been buying attachments that will fit a 1025r if I were to move up to one. Looked at a lot of aerators and got one from Turftime. It's Imatch compatible, 54" (51" coring width) and covers 1 tine past the wheels. At the time it was $850 a Land pride 56" was $1300.
Plant Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Riding mower Vehicle

Reactions: Firemark

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,978 Posts
I'm picking up a 48" Wood "barn find" this afternoon. 315lbs, 3pt. I also loomed at the turftuff, EA 48" 530lb drum, and the Frontier. Was going to order the EA, but this Woods, hopefully will be a nice find.

·
Registered
1023e, H120, 60D MMM
131 Posts
I’m renting a CA48 from Sunbelt Rentals locally next week. I think it’s $87 a day but I can do my whole yard, my neighbors, and I can test out the equipment before investing in it. I was surprised to see they offer 3pt attachments for rent.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am moving up to a 2025 and wanted to throw a CA2048 in to get the financing but dealer says he can't order because its backordered more that 6 months. He is looking into other options for me now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts