Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

So I have that Deere 48 inch core Aerator toe behind, for my x758

It doesn’t pull plugs it more just punches holes in the ground, but not pulling clean plugs like I see some do.

Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Soil too dry?

I use the neighbor's and haven't had that issue. I've had it not pull a deep core, but if the spoons go in the ground, they pull a plug...

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Hi guys

So I have that Deere 48 inch core Aerator toe behind, for my x758

It doesn’t pull plugs it more just punches holes in the ground, but not pulling clean plugs like I see some do.

Any suggestions
Seems like soil condition (moisture/type) would have a huge impact on wether the plugger pulls a clean plug. There's probably nothing wrong with your plugger, try different scenarios like a day after a rain or two days after, add weight somehow etc. There is several experts on pluggers on GTT. They will I'm sure steer you in the right direction.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
More than likely, the soil doesn't have enough moisture content. Also depending on moisture, you'll need additional weight, but you'll have to experiment with that. Suitcase weights from your tractor work great. Also ground speed plays a big part in pulling plugs cleanly. Again, depending on moisture content and the amount of added weight, adjust your ground speed. Too fast and you'll rip the soil rather than pull plugs cleanly.

My aerator is obviously 3 pt, but I still have to add weight. I built two boxes to cradle the necessary suitcase weights. You can do the same with a pull behind, if thats what you're dealing with. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Not sure its a possibility, but make sure its assembled correctly.
The spoons should curve the same direction, and that is towards the ground on the leading side of the aerator.
If they are backwards, they wont pull plugs. By backwards, I mean the mounting.
Thats assuming, again, that its possible to have it assembled incorrectly.

There is of course, as others have mentioned, the possibility that there isnt enough moisture in the ground, but if its punching holes, it should be pulling cores, even if they are shallow.

Reactions: Big

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Your speed also is a factor, too slow won't plug properly too fast it won't penetrate enough.

Reactions: DRobinson and Big

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 48” aerator like that. Speed, moisture and weight all make a difference. For weight I have an old set of cracked plastic covered JD wheel weights and a pair of ‘69 Ford 302 heads (too expensive to rebuild and too old to scrap!) that seem to work well. The ground needs to be damp for the best plugs to pull.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Make sure that the spoons are not clogged with dirt

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Make sure that the spoons are not clogged with dirt
Good point you have to clean the so the dirt doesn't dry. Another thing to ck that causes problems is small stones.I stop every few rounds and clean the spoons to check for stones.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I have a CA2072 on order and hope to put it to use before the cold.

Hopefully there are suggestions on how to use it most efficiently in the OM.

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
Advice for successful core aeration plug pulling (from my experience.....which is years of aerating thirty + acres, usually 1/2 acre to 2 acres at a time....)

1. Make sure your top link is allowing the core aerator to sit down squarely on the ground so it has the maximum "drop weight" when lowered. In other words, don't have the aerator so its not "square" to the ground with the top of the aerator tipped forward or back. You also want to lift the aerator as high as possible for proper clearance under the spoons.

2. Make sure the aerator is greased and ready to roll. Manually spin the spoon wheels forward and backwards to make sure they turn easily and freely.

3. Make sure the spoons are not plugged with caked dirt, rocks or bent with a curve (which happens from turning when pulling cores)

4. Lower the aerator and make sure its able to sink about 1" to 2" into the soil based upon its own weight. If the soil conditions are hard, either irrigate if you can or add suitcase weights evenly across the aerator. When I add suitcase weights, I usually hang 2 or 3 on each half of the aerator.

5. Always core in straight lines. If that means lifting and repositioning the tractor often to cover tight areas of the lawn, then that is what you do.

6. Don't make even gradual turns with the core aerator spoons in the ground. It will bend the spoons and its hard on the bearings of the spoon wheels. It also tears the sod and leaves crooked and uneven cores.

7. When you stop at the end of a straight run, you can back up a few feet and then lift the core aerator so you have the room to turn around and not turn with the spoons in the ground. Its hard to remind yourself to NOT turn when the aerator is engaged.

8. If the spoons are pulling cores that are 1" to 2.5", that is ideal. Trying to pull cores longer than 3" really isn't necessary.

9. Always watch when there is a height difference between the yard and say the road pavement or the sidewalk as the limited lift height of the 1025r may limit your ability to lift the aerator high enough to get the spoons out of the lawn. If that is the case, its better to back straight up and then lift the aerator or otherwise, the aerator might not clear the pavement in the lifted position, which can damage the spoons and spoon wheels.

10. Always mark all under ground sprinkler heads, irrigation system control valves, public water system shut off valves, electrical lines, television cables and internet and telephone cables as well as shut off valves near fire hydrants as they are all items which the core aerator can damage and or destroy.

11. Call Miss Dig and inform them you are undertaking a core aeration of the lawn. They wont send the gas company, water company or sewer service to mark those utilities as they are all well below the surface.However, shut off valves for each are likely to be near the soil surface and able to damage the aerator. It's best to paint mark all shut off valves. etc as their cast iron housings can damage the spoons on the aerator.

12. Always core aerate in a cross pattern, for example north to south and then east to west. Since you can't really turn with the aerator in the soil, running cross patterns will permit you to get near items like sprinkler heads, etc.

13. Coring after a rain provides great results, just be careful you don't pull cores so deep the spoons are unable to be lifted out of the soil when the aerator is raised.

14. Make sure all areas are plugged and the lawn improvement will be dramatic. Just cut the grass as you normally would and the plugs will break down and work their way back into the soil.

15. Its important to not allow leaves to remain on the lawn surface after the drop in the fall. Some leaves are more acidic than others and some, such as Oak leaves will kill the grass if they lay on the lawn surface all winter. Its best to blow leaves off the lawn and to not chop them, mulch them or cut them up before lawn clean up occurs.

I mark the sprinkler system with small flags when the system is operating so I know each sprinkler location. Then, using a ground marking paint, draw paint circles around the sprinkler heads and also the other subsurface obstacles. This way, you can pull the flags immediately and not have them impair the coring or lawn mowing preparation process.

I prefer to mow the lawn immediately before core aerating. Once you have paint marks and can pull all the flags its easier to mow and the paint marks aren't really noticeable from the street. The paint markings will last about a month, until the grass grows enough to cut the paint markings off the lawn.

Core aerating the lawn and the applying a good, long term slow release fertilizer will have a dramatic result on thickening the lawn for the following season. Drive along at a nice pace and the aerator tends to clean the spoons out by themselves. If you drive too slowly, the plugs don't come out as neatly.

Understand that the cores are pushed out of the upper portion of the front of the spoon, they don't usually fall back out of the spoon ends when they are pulled , so its not uncommon for the spoons to appear to be full of plugs, but the new plugs will push the previous plugs out of the spoons notched area and the process will work just fine.

Just make sure when you put the aerator away when you are done, clean out every one of the spoons with a screw driver and then power wash the spoons, grease the fittings on them and then spray the tips of each spoon with a good metal lubricant and it will be ready for you next time.

I use the same metal lubricant on the spoon tips that I lube the snow blower chains with, the garage door chain and track and also other metal parts like my hedge trimmers, etc. It won't attract and retain dirt, yet it will protect the metal tips and spoons on the aerator. There really is no point in repainting the spoon tips every time as the points will simply knock the new paint off again as soon as you use it next time............

You will be very impressed with the improvement to the lawn from these steps. Should anyone have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I added more weight
8x42lb suitcase weights
And two rear wheel weights 72lb each
That’s 480lb total weight

It rained a few days ago, and another maybe 1/4 inch today a couple of hours beforehand.

I believe it was pulling cores better, but still it didn’t look like mozorella strings or anything long and compact tube shaped or anything.

I just think maybe this Deere tow behind just isn’t that good of quality
Does anyone else have this Deere tow behind and how is the aeration for you?

On another note I did aeration, over seed, Tenacity application, and N-EXT Green Pop fertilizer application, all sprayed from my 25G sprayer on the click-N-go

It rained now, maybe 5 hours after the application. Hopefully not going to affect the spraying...I checked the weather no rain was even predicted, but neither was the morning shower we had
It was otherwise a good day to do it, 70F, no sun or wind, and crazy humid day

·
Registered
753 Posts
I firmly believe that some attachments just don't and won't ever work well when they are pulled along using a sleeve hitch or pin hitch. I have a number of aerators, spike, core, blade type, and all of them are pull behind. Not one of them does a good job, and the only pulled aerator I have that can do what I call a decent job is an Agri-Fab blade type that I have modified extensively.

So now I own the X738 and have ordered a new aerator. It's 3pt hitch attached and built far better than any I now own. There are some complaints on line about rust and grease fittings. Many are just BS and most are non issues to me. I also have a neighbor who runs a lawn care company that uses this aerator. The results are really, really good from what I can see, and he has no complaints at all, so that's good enough for me. I post a review after I receive the unit.

Some people have commented on making turns while aerating. This is very good advise, and as stated you should not make turns with the aerator spoons in the ground. Just ask my wife who bent all of the blades on one of my aerators immediately after I warned her about damaging the unit while turning.:banghead:

Yard Tuff 3| Northern Tool + Equipment

And there are always exceptions;

https://www.lawn-golf.com/store/category.aspx/categoryId/1/Aerators/

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
So I added more weight
8x42lb suitcase weights
And two rear wheel weights 72lb each
That’s 480lb total weight

It rained a few days ago, and another maybe 1/4 inch today a couple of hours beforehand.

I believe it was pulling cores better, but still it didn’t look like mozorella strings or anything long and compact tube shaped or anything.

I just think maybe this Deere tow behind just isn’t that good of quality
Does anyone else have this Deere tow behind and how is the aeration for you?

On another note I did aeration, over seed, Tenacity application, and N-EXT Green Pop fertilizer application, all sprayed from my 25G sprayer on the click-N-go

It rained now, maybe 5 hours after the application. Hopefully not going to affect the spraying...I checked the weather no rain was even predicted, but neither was the morning shower we had
It was otherwise a good day to do it, 70F, no sun or wind, and crazy humid day
I just used the neighbor's yesterday.
It's a 48" deere, with either core aeration or dethatcher, not sure if you have the combo one or not...

Anyway, pulled it behind my ATV at about 4 mph. Had 2 ~50 lb weights and a 42 lb suitcase weight on it. I was pulling cores from 1.5-2.5 inches consistently.
We have had a fair amount of rain. Almost 3 inches in the last week, so soil conditions are perfect for it.
I will say this is the best it's ever worked for me. That could be because this is the 4th time it's been done, so the ground is loosening up a bit, or maybe it's the moisture content.
It's also the least amount of weight I've ever used on it. Usually have at least one more suitcase weight on it, if not a concrete block as well.

:unknown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts