Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally made the purchase. I just got my new Everything attachments 48" aerator. After thinking about an aerator for several months, I finally decided on the Everything Attachments drum type.
I haven't used it yet since it is still to early in the season in the NE.

After unloading and inspecting it, the overall quality looks pretty good. Concerning the park stands, I think I will need to do a little modification to these. I don't like that the park stands allow the unit to move several inches sideways. Probably just my perfectionism showing!! :good2:

While changing the top link pin location from CAT 2 to CAT 1, I quickly found the top link side plates were drawn together from welding. When I removed the support spacer, I had to use a steel wedge to spread the plates to get the spacer back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice looking aerator, I am still thinking on one myself.:good2:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very nice! I've been thinking about one of these too. I wish that I could rent one but the only one the local rental shop has is a pull behind...just not feasible for my use.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yeah, I have been wanting to get one too. I was looking at their disc type though. Let us know how well it works.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice! I've been thinking about one of these too. I wish that I could rent one but the only one the local rental shop has is a pull behind...just not feasible for my use.
I was thinking renting also, but, the only ones that I found are self-propelled or really large 3 point units that were too big for the 1025R.
I am also one of those people that thinks, if you have to rent something three times, you may as well own it.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have been wanting to get one too. I was looking at their disc type though. Let us know how well it works.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well, I sort of went back and forth between the individual disc type and the drum type. The theory is that you can turn with the individual disc type.
With a ground engagement attachment hanging on the 3 point, I am not sure how you can turn. It doesn't matter if the spoons are on individual rotors or on a drum, when you make turns, the 3 point moves to the side which will cause the spoons to tear out the holes. I can understand that you can make sweeping turns, although, based on what other users on this forum have said, you can make sweeping turns with the drum aerator also.
The other deciding factor that I used is, because of the 3 point lift capacity of the 1025R, the widest EA individual rotor aerator that the 1025R can handle is the 36" wide unit which isn't as wide as the tractor.

So, considering these, I chose to go with the 48" drum type. We'll see in about a month!! :good2:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I was thinking renting also, but, the only ones that I found are self-propelled or really large 3 point units that were too big for the 1025R.
I am also one of those people that thinks, if you have to rent something three times, you may as well own it.
We had a similar saying back when I worked on cars and trucks. If you have to borrow a tool three times you need to buy one. lol

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had a similar saying back when I worked on cars and trucks. If you have to borrow a tool three times you need to buy one. lol
Agreed!!! Probably applies to most things.

·
Registered
22,773 Posts
Luckily I have no need for one of these - still don't really know the need. All I do is keep my cleared areas mowed to keep the forest from encroaching. My grass is green and grows plenty fast enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckily I have no need for one of these - still don't really know the need. All I do is keep my cleared areas mowed to keep the forest from encroaching. My grass is green and grows plenty fast enough for me.
Some lawns do fine without any need for aeration. The problem I have is, my lawn is 75% hill, so as the ground has tightened over years, the water just runs off. The lower part of my yard is gorgeous, but the grass on the hill is mostly non-existent and what is there is thin which allows weed seed to get to the ground.
After reading info on websites like PA States, here is one link Aeration of Turfgrass Areas — Center for Turfgrass Science — Penn State University, I decided that this is definitely what my yard needs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Very similar situation here for me as well. My yard is sloped and with mostly hard clay soil the water runs off leaving many thin areas in the lawn. Anything I can do to loosen up the soil and get some air and water in it significantly helps to get the lawn to thicken. Hopefully before the hot, dry summer tries to burn it up! Some areas that have good soil probably do not have a need for it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts

·
Registered
22,773 Posts
Some lawns do fine without any need for aeration. The problem I have is, my lawn is 75% hill, so as the ground has tightened over years, the water just runs off. The lower part of my yard is gorgeous, but the grass on the hill is mostly non-existent and what is there is thin which allows weed seed to get to the ground.
After reading info on websites like PA States, here is one link Aeration of Turfgrass Areas — Center for Turfgrass Science — Penn State University, I decided that this is definitely what my yard needs.
Very similar situation here for me as well. My yard is sloped and with mostly hard clay soil the water runs off leaving many thin areas in the lawn. Anything I can do to loosen up the soil and get some air and water in it significantly helps to get the lawn to thicken. Hopefully before the hot, dry summer tries to burn it up! Some areas that have good soil probably do not have a need for it.
Thanks guys - I learned something today!

And here I thought it was a device for making your grass greener or more lush so suburbanites could brag about the greener lawn.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I've been looking for an aerator on and off for a couple of years.Hard part is it's hard to find specs on them when looking on the internet.With having limited lift cat 1 I did look at EA but the weight was the problem.I narrowed it down to 2 Land pride CA15 Series Core Aerators | Land Pride and Turftime 3pt hitch http://www.turftimeeq.com/product/estate-aerators.At $875 the Turftime seems to be the one I'm leaning towards.
I have the Landpride CA1556 on my 1025R. Love it. It wasn't cheap I'll say that, about $1200 or so if I remember. My neighbor gives me crap about it, says I should have bought pallet forks instead of the aerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have the Landpride CA1556 on my 1025R. Love it. It wasn't cheap I'll say that, about $1200 or so if I remember. My neighbor gives me crap about it, says I should have bought pallet forks instead of the aerator.

How many times has your neighbor asked to borrow it?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
He'd rather borrow the forks, that's why he wants cheesetrain to get them! :laugh:
This wouldn't happen as he doesn't have a loader for his X728. Although since it's the previous generation it could take the 45 loader. Pretty sure forks wouldn't do much good though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been looking for an aerator on and off for a couple of years.Hard part is it's hard to find specs on them when looking on the internet.With having limited lift cat 1 I did look at EA but the weight was the problem.I narrowed it down to 2 Land pride CA15 Series Core Aerators | Land Pride and Turftime 3pt hitch http://www.turftimeeq.com/product/estate-aerators.At $875 the Turftime seems to be the one I'm leaning towards.
I am going to buy the EA drum this fall. I have a 2019 2025R JD and will buy the 48inch aerator. The reason I aerate is because I mow 4 acres with a JD455 with a 60inch mower. It weighs in at 900 pounds. That is a lot of compacting IMHO. This is yard/pasture so if it tears some during the turns....who cares ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts