Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast do you all go when core aerating? I have a frontier ca2072. Just wondering if there is a ideal speed. I did it at about 4.3 and it seemed to work ok. I got the traditional dog turds everywhere. Had to put 6 bundles of shingles,( we are getting ready to shingle our house and they were the easiest thing to grab) on the unit for weight. Might think about making some cement weight blocks. The steel tanks for sand are stupid expensive

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
4.2, no faster!!!

:D

just kidding of course, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a recommended speed, go as fast as you can with getting good results

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I laugh. To be honest I could actually see that being my luck. 4.3 your way too fast and will take bearings out and wreck the grass and possibly destroy you best friends brothers uncles pen pals grass.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
4.2, no faster!!!

:D

just kidding of course, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a recommended speed, go as fast as you can with getting good results
This right here. If you see dookie bits you're doing just fine.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi. I go about 1/2 speed, probably around 4mph.

Watch out for the usual stuff - cable tv, gas, water, sewer lines, sprinkler. (if you have any)

I didn't do the weight tanks either, instead built low boxes to hold suitcase weights

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Fast enough to see plugs being pulled. If the soil is too wet it won't pull a plug no matter what speed.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
Basically, core at a speed which isn't bouncing the tractor and operator around, the aerator stays engaged with the soil and you are pulling cores with a slight overlap from prior passes. I do core in High, at about 2,200 RPM. Then, when you are done, turn and core at 90 degrees to the first session.

Suitcase weights hang very well on the Frontier frame as I usually run with an additional 6 suitcase weights on the frame, two hanging on the front, one on each end and two across the back frame. I also find the aerator seems to work a little better with the aerator canted forward towards the tractor.

Main thing is to have the top link adjusted to allow you to lift the aerator high enough to clear any curbs or other obstacles. I usually run with my top link as short as it will go. The I Match with Kenny's Hook won't pick up the Frontier Aerator off its 3 post stand with the top link shortened so I get the aerator on the I match and then shorten the top link, pulling the front of the aerator towards the tractor.

Reactions: KHodges

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically, core at a speed which isn't bouncing the tractor and operator around, the aerator stays engaged with the soil and you are pulling cores with a slight overlap from prior passes. I do core in High, at about 2,200 RPM. Then, when you are done, turn and core at 90 degrees to the first session.

Suitcase weights hang very well on the Frontier frame as I usually run with an additional 6 suitcase weights on the frame, two hanging on the front, one on each end and two across the back frame. I also find the aerator seems to work a little better with the aerator canted forward towards the tractor.

Main thing is to have the top link adjusted to allow you to lift the aerator high enough to clear any curbs or other obstacles. I usually run with my top link as short as it will go. The I Match with Kenny's Hook won't pick up the Frontier Aerator off its 3 post stand with the top link shortened so I get the aerator on the I match and then shorten the top link, pulling the front of the aerator towards the tractor.
Really?! Like I needed another reason to buy a adjustable top link:). All good ideas. I will have to play with it when it sees the light of day again. My 3720 won’t lift it off the cart I built for it either. So I have to grab mine with the forks and put on ground first.
Do you have to adjust your top hook? I have to move mine down one hole so the bottom two can lock in.

·
Registered
950 Posts

Main thing is to have the top link adjusted to allow you to lift the aerator high enough to clear any curbs or other obstacles.
I do much the same as Sulley does. I use my 2520 at 2200 rpm when not operating the pto, and I stay in high unless I'm on hilly ground, and pull the plugger just faster than I mow, about 4-5 mph. As long as it's not bouncing, I'm good. My plugger is a Land Pride and not quite as wide as yours, and I use about 175 pounds of weight; it easily pulls 3- to 3-1/2" plugs in my soil. I throw three suitcase weights and a piece of train rail in the weight boxes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about making cement blocks but I think I might just spend the extra on weights. I can use them between the two tractors and on the front if needed. More versatile and I won’t need a chain and loader to move the blocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts