Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone switch out the cutting edge on the frontier 60" AF10F plow from steel to the urethane? I plowed my driveway for the first time with it over the weekend and thought it was a bit harsh. Should I be concerned? Anyone know how much the urethane cutting edge is?

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Anyone switch out the cutting edge on the frontier 60" AF10F plow from steel to the urethane? I plowed my driveway for the first time with it over the weekend and thought it was a bit harsh. Should I be concerned? Anyone know how much the urethane cutting edge is?
I know I don't like the sound of the metal skipping across the pavement and it can really score asphalt and even chip concrete. I use a rubber edge which I get from a local rubber / hose supply company.

Here is a picture of the edge on my plow. I LOVE the rubber plow edge. It cleans the surface, doesn't damage it and doesn't harm grass when you push snow on the lawn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,033 Posts
The "kit" (#5) is $475. The edge alone is $363.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
The "kit" (#5) is $475. The edge alone is $363.

Lot's of money for two metal straps and a piece of poly edge material........Oh, and the bolts........

Two metal straps, some industrial rubber and the hardware should be less than $75............for the do it your selfer.......And frankly, if the rubber fits squarely against the plow board, which it should, you really just need one strap............to secure it.

Make sure to really clean and wax the area behind the cutting edge when you have it apart as it will get moisture in there and if you use it near the public roads, you run the risk of getting it in the road salt as well.........

Also, make sure to set the plow shoes so the edge is making full contact. The edge will flex and contour to pavement variations and you really would be better off with the edge cleaning than the shoes holding it even slightly off the pavement.

Make sure the rubber isn't more than 4" tall under the blade or the weight of the snow pusher and the down pressure of the FEL will roll the rubber under the snow pusher and when you back drag, watch you don't carry the weight of the front of the tractor on the edge or it will wear it prematurely or if the rubber edge is too tall, you can tear it along the bottom of the snow pusher.

It's also nice if you plow early in the AM or late in the PM as you don't have the banging of the plow on the pavement as you use it. That's how I can always tell when the private company is plowing our roads, I hear them dropping the plows with the steel cutting edge on the pavement.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Use the "Google Custom Search" at the top of the forum pages and look for "Rubber Cutting Edge" and/or "Stall Mat" and you will find a TON of threads on this topic.

I swapped out the steel edge on my blade for rubber for about $40. Works like a champ!! :good2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use the "Google Custom Search" at the top of the forum pages and look for "Rubber Cutting Edge" and/or "Stall Mat" and you will find a TON of threads on this topic.

I swapped out the steel edge on my blade for rubber for about $40. Works like a champ!!
Thanks, I actually searched for "af10f" and only found threads on the stall mats. Now I know why ??

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Thanks, I actually searched for "af10f" and only found threads on the stall mats. Now I know why ??
Nothing wrong with a "stall mat". That's what I'm using on my blade. :bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the idea to make the steal mat the same size as the steel blade? So take off the steel blade, trace the size and bolt holes to the rubber mat, cut and drill, then install with a piece of steel?

·
Administrator
18,493 Posts

·
Administrator
18,493 Posts

Dont limit your searching to the AF10F blades, many have done this on various blades, it’s all the same but different LOL.

Search urethane, rubber edge, or stall mat for lots of reading and links.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Is the idea to make the steal mat the same size as the steel blade? So take off the steel blade, trace the size and bolt holes to the rubber mat, cut and drill, then install with a piece of steel?
Did you read any of the threads? :laugh:

Long story short, the "rubber edge" gets sandwiched between the steel cutting edge and the blade itself. Make the rubber edge about 2-3" taller than the steel edge. When you drill the mounting holes, use the steel edge as a pattern to mark the holes, but mark them in the middle of the mat. That way you can flip it over when it wears out - you'll have "two cutting edges".

20190108_165330_resized.jpg

If you go with one of the poly/plastic edges, I'm not sure what the procedure is. I'm too broke to afford one of those. :laugh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

Did you read any of the threads?

Long story short, the "rubber edge" gets sandwiched between the steel cutting edge and the blade itself. Make the rubber edge about 2-3" taller than the steel edge. When you drill the mounting holes, use the steel edge as a pattern to mark the holes, but mark them in the middle of the mat. That way you can flip it over when it wears out - you'll have "two cutting edges".

View attachment 668350

If you go with one of the poly/plastic edges, I'm not sure what the procedure is. I'm too broke to afford one of those.
?? I didn't. Once I saw it was about making your own I clicked off. I'd never think JD would charge that much so I just kept searching for the oem one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts