Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Finally got around to picking up a 54" Blade. I probably should have got it when I got the tractor, but thought the loader would do. It does a good job, no doubt, but I'm worried I'll peel back my already weak asphalt drive. The blade isn't all that high priced, it's everything it takes to make it work that more than DOUBLES the price.... Oh well. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does against some real snow. After seeing it mounted it seems kind of narrow for the tractor. Guess we'll see..

Here's a shot of the front quick hitch mount going on the frame.

Here's one from below adding the quick hitch brackets. You have to remove the engine side panels and the lower grill trim piece.

Next is a shot of the support bracket going into the quick hitch assemble.

Here the quick hitch is in place and I'm installing the angle cylinder.

Here the blade is in place and I've hooked up the lines. A little leak showed up....

Here is a couple of the finished product. It took me about 2 hours including sweeping my garage so I didn't have to roll around in all the winter crud.

Here you can see a Laser run down the tires to the 99% straight blade. Not a ton of extra clearing width..

Just some reflection on the water, not the beam.

So if anyone has an urge to add the 54" to their 1 series this should give you a pretty good idea what's all in it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If you're worried about the asphalt, maybe you need the rubber "squeege" edge. They won't even scratch the lawn when you plow out the bird feeders (float position, always float position!:laugh:) On this tractor I've used mine 3 times now with no damage to the grass even where it's growing up over the edge of the driveway and the old 48" has 8 years of service... Nice pix!

Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been kicking the squeege idea around. A set of wings is also on my list. I figured I'd give it a try as is and go from there. Thanks for the feedback! I look forward to some seat time. Just need some snow.....

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I've been kicking the squeege idea around. A set of wings is also on my list. I figured I'd give it a try as is and go from there. Thanks for the feedback! I look forward to some seat time. Just need some snow.....

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I volunteer to let you have any and all of mine that might be arriving for the remainder of the winter! :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The rubber squeegee sure helps on the asphalt. Cleans clear and no scrape marks. Transitions well from asphalt, to grass and to gravel.

Here's a pic of my blade setup. I added a top flap, markers, round shoes, and the squeegee(Artillian's, but hard to see it in the pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Nice set up! I don't really need any feet and I don't need the corner markers since I can see over my hood:laugh:, but I'd sure like to steal that top flap idea! What's it made from?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice set up! I don't really need any feet and I don't need the corner markers since I can see over my hood:laugh:, but I'd sure like to steal that top flap idea! What's it made from?
Rubber....:laugh:

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bought one from Moose (atv plow) and drilled holes on top of the plow. It came with all the hardware. I am sure you can cut any rubber matting and make it yourself too.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Premium Member
10,105 Posts
I volunteer to let you have any and all of mine that might be arriving for the remainder of the winter! :cool:
The sign at the church down the road says "Whoever is praying for snow, please stop!".

I'm praying even more!

Reactions: 636mullet

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
The sign at the church down the road says "Whoever is praying for snow, please stop!".

I'm praying even more!
I'm hearing rumblings that you may get your wish in Feb.! A couple of Blue Northers are brewing near the North Pole, and if they plunge this way, we may all get hit. I hope all of mine diverts to you!

I'm planning to get more firewood up by the house to have at the ready. If I am heavily prepared, maybe I won't need it!

·
Premium Member
10,105 Posts
I'm hearing rumblings that you may get your wish in Feb.! A couple of Blue Northers are brewing near the North Pole, and if they plunge this way, we may all get hit. I hope all of mine diverts to you!

I'm planning to get more firewood up by the house to have at the ready. If I am heavily prepared, maybe I won't need it!
Get yourself prepared cause were gonna need it. I'm not giving up..... Just one 'big one', then you can have all the sunshine you and your tank top can handle!

Reactions: Yamaguy

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. You will a full quart of hydro fluid to top it back off. The lines and cylinders are shipped dry. I had to pick some up so wasn't sure how much it needed. I was at the top of the full mark before and in the center of the add afterwards.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
If you're worried about the asphalt, maybe you need the rubber "squeege" edge. They won't even scratch the lawn when you plow out the bird feeders (float position, always float position!:laugh:) On this tractor I've used mine 3 times now with no damage to the grass even where it's growing up over the edge of the driveway and the old 48" has 8 years of service... Nice pix!
Where'd you get the squeegee blade?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I bought a 4'x6'x 3/4" thick horse stall mat from Tractor Supply for $40 and cut a 6" strip off of it. Drilled and installed on the blade and works like a charm. Got enough material for TONS of them as they wear out over time.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Mine is genuine JD squeegee kit (comes w/bolts/nuts), I got it when I got the tractor package. However, after using Artillians wings the other day I'd go with their rubber edge + the wings right from the get-go. JD's edge is NOT reversable as the Artillian edge is AND it's a bit higher leaving a small space under the wings. No big deal for me, but some might not like that space.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The rubber squeegee sure helps on the asphalt. Cleans clear and no scrape marks. Transitions well from asphalt, to grass and to gravel.

Here's a pic of my blade setup. I added a top flap, markers, round shoes, and the squeegee(Artillian's, but hard to see it in the pic).
Big J,
How do you like your Artillian set up on the loader arms?
This is exactly what i'm thinking for next year and was wondering if you have any problems or regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also did the Tractor Supply stall matt hack. When I did the wings I cut the matt to size and also made small squeegee wedges for the wings. Works really slick on what little snow I've had. Also used it to push some mud off my drive after washing my truck off after a firewood trip. It worked as well as I'd expect it to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts