Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Evergreen wanted to drive my 'new' truck home from Home Depot last night. Watching her attempting a 17 point turn just to get out of the parking spot made me realize a few things: first, I think the 'limo truck' intimidates her just a bit (to be fair, she isn't much taller than the hood), and second, that it does have a massive blind spot behind it. Besides, it would make hooking up trailers much easier.

Like most of you, when I am told to go shopping for truck or tractor parts, I don't make jokes or ask questions, I scurry away before she can take it back and the hunt begins! :gizmo:

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a backup camera to add to my SuperDuty. I would probably prefer wired to wireless since I would have to run a power cable anyway. I have seen some where the screen is built into the rear view mirror and I would prefer that over a monitor sitting on my dashboard.

Please help me spend my money!

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
I'll be curious what people suggest.

The best suggestion I have is to avoid parking in places requiring reverse if possible. I always hunt for a spot that I can pull in and pull out going forward, especially with the truck.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Subscribed. With an extended cab and long bed it would be nice. The truck sticks way out even when properly parked.

I back into spots when there are no pull through ones, to make it easier to get in and out of the spot, and try to find edge spots where i can back up until the tires hit the curb. It would be easier to see how close a really am to the vehicle behind me.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
She can't back it up.
Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to keep her from driving your new truck. LOL

Just tell her a pretty girl never needs to drive. She will always be able too find someone to take her. lol
Heard that one from an old timer when I was younger. His wife never even had a drivers license.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here is the one I've been contemplating. Our 2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew with a 6.5' bed is quite long.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/ford-f-series-backup-camera-w-gentex-genk332-mirror-1631.html

It's quite expensive but all of the others I've researched seem to have a number of flaws.

Our 2011 F-350 has an OEM camera and I've not sure how I'd get along without it. In this day and age, manufacturers should make rear cameras standard equipment on full-size trucks. I even wish I had a front camera!

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
Backup cameras will be a federally mandated option starting next year on new vehicles IIRC. :good2:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,314 Posts
I bought mine from eBay.
There is a large selection to choose from. I bought the parts separately (monitor, camera, wiring..etc.) On my last truck (Silverado) I installed a small camera within the HMSL (high mount stop light). I could see things in the bed of the truck; and cars/people behind me.

These are custom fit, but pricey.

EDIT: Found a pic.

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Backup cameras will be a federally mandated option starting next year on new vehicles IIRC. :good2:
It's interesting that rear backup cameras may become federally mandated but visually and situationally impaired elderly or those with certain medical conditions are allowed to drive. Not a week goes by that some elderly person drives through the front of a building because they're depressing the accelerator instead of the brake.

Just yesterday an elderly man driving a minivan made a left turn from a side street in front of Ms. SGS and myself while we were out riding. He never saw us at the intersection. Two cruisers riding staggered with headlights and driving lights on. That's 6 front facing headlights. Ms. SGS was leading and locked the brakes. A miracle she recovered and stopped just a couple of feet before she would have been taken out. The old dude was completely unaware and just drove away. He couldn't have heard both horns blaring either.

I guess my point is that while all of the technology can be helpful many new "laws" are a knee jerk reaction and are ill conceived.

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
It's interesting that rear backup cameras may become federally mandated but visually and situationally impaired elderly or those with certain medical conditions are allowed to drive. Not a week goes by that some elderly person drives through the front of a building because they're depressing the accelerator instead of the brake.

Just yesterday an elderly man driving a minivan made a left turn from a side street in front of Ms. SGS and myself while we were out riding. He never saw us at the intersection. Two cruisers riding staggered with headlights and driving lights on. That's 6 front facing headlights. Ms. SGS was leading and locked the brakes. A miracle she recovered and stopped just a couple of feet before she would have been taken out. The old dude was completely unaware and just drove away. He couldn't have heard both horns blaring either.

I guess my point is that while all of the technology can be helpful many new "laws" are a knee jerk reaction and are ill conceived.
Agreed. I think there should be some sort of standard or testing of some kind for older folks. You pass, you keep your driving privileges.

My FIL has been overly stubborn and pig-headed about his driving, yet we have no legal recourse from preventing him from driving. He poses a massive danger to himself and everyone around him. And there's nothing we can do but watch it happen.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My work van is a '07 Chevy 1 ton van chassis with a 10' walk in service body on it. It is huge with no way to see whats behind it. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that tailgating Honda's disappear from my mirrors. One of my customers has a large national fleet of butt ugly brown trucks. I looked at what they had at the time. It was Voyagers mostly. I went on line and found a factory reconditioned unit the was really built for RV's. I can remotely angle the camera down to the hitch and then back up to see what's hiding behind me. I can add corner cameras that activate when I turn on my turn signals. Really cool but a large 7" screen while looks very natural in the upper part of my van, it would not on the dash of a pick up. I was able to flush mount the screen in the wind deflector on my work truck. I really wanted a schnauzer poo flinger to hit the tailgaters with but it seems no one makes those.

I recently purchased a personal van. The only options that they did not have was the parking assist and the back up camera. Makes no sense. You have a vehicle darn near 245" long and no way to see what's behind the vehicle. I would have optioned for the navigation system simply so I could have the larger screen rather than the smaller in the rear view mirror unit but even the small one is much better. I wonder if the wiring is there and I can simply add them. I am leery of most of aftermarket gadgets in cars. They tend to be cheesy.

I too will be watching to see what is out there. Good luck!

isaac

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The Federal Law, passed in 2014, mandates that all vehicles under 10k GVWR have a rear-view camera system in place if they are manufactured on or after May 1, 2018. I -thought- pickup trucks were already mandated and cars were coming later, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Backup cameras on tow vehicles are an amazing benefit. Every vehicle I've owned since 2006 has had a camera, many of them being vehicles that I towed with. Backing up to connect a trailer is so simplistic now and is ALWAYS a one-person job (it seldom was easy to do this alone in the past).

I couldn't agree more about the concept of additional 'testing' to continue driving - an eye exam every few years does NOTHING to validate keeping pace with changing laws or whether cognitive abilities are declining or not. With the technology of today, there should be a way to put drivers through a simulator for additional road testing to determine whether or not they are still capable of driving safely. The problem with that, IMHO, is that no one wants to vote in laws that would A) cost taxpayers money to buy the simulator equipment and pay the additional staff hours it would take to conduct all of the follow-up road tests, B) further lengthen the wait times at DMV because of all of the additional time each renewal would take (and force them to go to DMV for the renewal), C) cost the taxpayers money because of lost revenue for those drivers that can't have their license renewed, and D) would result in more people having to take responsibility for helping their aging parents out because of loss of driving privileges.

It's really funny to me that, as parents, we stomp our feet down hard when we tell the kids "driving is a privilege, not a right!" but we stomp our feet harder when someone tries to tell us that we may need to consider the idea of giving up our license.

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
I recently purchased a personal van. The only options that they did not have was the parking assist and the back up camera. Makes no sense. You have a vehicle darn near 245" long and no way to see what's behind the vehicle. I would have optioned for the navigation system simply so I could have the larger screen rather than the smaller in the rear view mirror unit but even the small one is much better. I wonder if the wiring is there and I can simply add them. I am leery of most of aftermarket gadgets in cars. They tend to be cheesy.
When I bought my F-150 new in 2009 it had just about every option available except.....the back-up camera. It has the NAV system with the big 9" screen. An identical truck on the lot had the back-up camera but no NAV - the camera screen was a 2" image in the rear view mirror which I found useless.

I searched high and low to find a factory camera to instal after the fact and found nothing. I won't try to tap an aftermarket camera into the $2800 NAV unit.

I do however have the back-up sensors which work really well. I've got myslf tuned to them and know exacly how close I am to something by the frequency of the beeps. It even works if you are backing out of a paking space and somone scoots behind you.

When I was hooking up my mowing trailer every day I could have used the camera but now do just fine with just the sensors. They really do work quite well. Also I figured that I am looking in my mirrors while backing up instead of the screen plus have the sensors doing their thing behind me.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Here is the one I've been contemplating. Our 2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew with a 6.5' bed is quite long.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/ford-f-series-backup-camera-w-gentex-genk332-mirror-1631.html

It's quite expensive but all of the others I've researched seem to have a number of flaws.

Our 2011 F-350 has an OEM camera and I've not sure how I'd get along without it. In this day and age, manufacturers should make rear cameras standard equipment on full-size trucks. I even wish I had a front camera!
A lot of Nissan vehicles have four cameras; one rear, one front, and one facing down on each mirror. The software stitches the four images to create a plan view to aid in parking, while displaying the rear, front, or right side next to it depending on user input and/or gear the vehicle is in. The four cameras are what sold us on a Rogue for my wife. I can now park her car in the garage on the first try.

From what I've heard, Ford is supposedly offering at least four cameras as an option on the new Super Duty. I would love to have that plus the cargo box camera illustrated earlier.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

It's no wonder it's over $40,000 for a new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts

I agree with this. I was at the bureau of motor vehicles last week registering my Gator. There was an elderly man there renewing his driver's license. He was having trouble with the eye test. The worker was coaching him. He ended up just rattling off letters & when said the correct one, the worker said OK. I heard them do that four times.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
All this reminds me of something Saturday morning on my way to work. On a 2 lane road this old guy is driving at least 5 mph under the speed limit. He goes right through a red light making a left. Don't even touch the brakes. The next light we get to turned green and he just sits there waiting. Had to lay on the horn just to get him to go. Once on the 4 lane he's back to 5 under. When I try to pass at 5 over he speeds up.
You just can't win.

The show South Park did an episode on old people driving & killing people. That was the funniest thing I ever seen.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Backup cameras will be a federally mandated option starting next year on new vehicles IIRC.
I think the backup cameras are necessary on some vehicles because the side mirrors on them are so frickin' tiny compared to the size of the vehicle. My theory is they minimize the mirror size to help with aerodynamic drag and improve mileage. :banghead:

The mirrors on the Acadia we have are a joke and I hate backing up in that thing (no rear camera). I always end up turning in my seat and even opening the door to look back sometimes. While the mirrors on my '03 Silverado are much larger and I can back that up or parallel park anywhere with it never having to turn around or open the door. And oh by the way....the Silverado gets better mpg's than the Acadia.....so much for aerodynamics. :dunno:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well... That got off the rails fast! :laugh:

The main function of a camera for me (a thirty year old, of sound mind and body) is most likely going to be hooking up trailers and backing out of parking spots. Because I have a tool box in the back of the truck, the rear blind spot is really bad. It is especially bad because my previous truck was a standard cab long bed with no tailgate! When you pair a huge blind spot with a truck that has a turning radius on par with the Titanic, well, let's just say I tend to stay in the back of parking lots!

Normally my wife doesn't drive my truck, but for the few times that she has to, I want her to have as pleasant an experience as possible... I would also like for her to return my truck reasonably intact. It's bad enough that when she is going forward she sees herself as a Formula One driver at the Monaco Grand Prix. The first time she drove my new truck she confirmed that the limited slip rear axle did indeed lock as it is supposed to.

I hate looking at products online because it gives me zero feel for what I'm buying. There are so many basic questions that can be answered simply by holding something in your hands. It doesn't help that I know diddly about electronics.

What do yous guys think of this?
https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/license-plate-mounted-backup-camera-aftermarket-mirror.html
Does anyone have experience with something similar that they would recommend instead?

And as for disabling Dad/Grandpa's car, why not just unplug some of the coils or the fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
My theory is they minimize the mirror size to help with aerodynamic drag and improve mileage. :banghead:
You nailed it, aerodynamics = fuel economy, which is why almost all cars and most small SUV's have an almost identical blob like silhouette now. :thumbsdown:

I think the eventual goal is to replace side-view mirrors with cameras once the technology matures a bit more.

What do yous guys think of this?
https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/license-plate-mounted-backup-camera-aftermarket-mirror.html
Does anyone have experience with something similar that they would recommend instead?
Linky no worky.

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
I think the backup cameras are necessary on some vehicles because the side mirrors on them are so frickin' tiny compared to the size of the vehicle. My theory is they minimize the mirror size to help with aerodynamic drag and improve mileage. :banghead:

The mirrors on the Acadia we have are a joke and I hate backing up in that thing (no rear camera). I always end up turning in my seat and even opening the door to look back sometimes. While the mirrors on my '03 Silverado are much larger and I can back that up or parallel park anywhere with it never having to turn around or open the door. And oh by the way....the Silverado gets better mpg's than the Acadia.....so much for aerodynamics. :dunno:
My '09 F-150 has the max tow package that comes with the large tow mirrors. These things look out of proportion on the truck - I call them elephant ears - but I wouldn't be without them. After driving big truck for many years I tend to rely on my mirrors a lot. I can see so much with these mirrors - no blind spots at all - plus I can see where my rear tires touch the ground which is very helpful.

IMG_4789.JPG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts