Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket blades and belt for a 54D mower? Blew my belt finally after 6 years, not bad at all, and totally not against buying another oem... just didnt know if anyone makes anything better.

Also been eyeing the oregon lineup of blades, pros/cons?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket blades and belt for a 54D mower? Blew my belt finally after 6 years, not bad at all, and totally not against buying another oem... just didnt know if anyone makes anything better.

Also been eyeing the oregon lineup of blades, pros/cons?
Just logged in to confirm an Oregon blade part number for my 60D. I have a 1969 Ford 1520 with a 60 inch finish mower, 2020 JD 2025R with 60D, 2009 Bad Boy (31hp professional version), 2014 JD 135SE (son in law's, I maintain). Anyhow, back to the point, I have had less than the best luck with "factory" support as to knowledge, parts availability, and general support so I have started doing a lot of business on line. One of the sites used consistently is Jacks Small Engines primarily for Gator blades and belts and no, this is not a commercial for JSE, I tend to go back to retailers that do and deliver as promised. My estimate is that I have ordered a dozen belts and twice that blades from this one site. One last example, The Bad Boy deck belt is an unusual size (152 1/4 x 5/8"). My dealer estimated 7 to 10 days on order. On line, 2 days and 2/3s the price, made in America with Kevlar and marked with the correct part number. Just be aware of Amazon junk. Honestly, I don't even trust the product description on their site, having found several over the years that weren't accurate. Do your homework, make sure you know what you're getting and I feel you will be well satisfied. Last thing, I am old, therefore by default, wise. Almost have the grandkids convinced of that.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
994 Posts
Just logged in to confirm an Oregon blade part number for my 60D. I have a 1969 Ford 1520 with a 60 inch finish mower, 2020 JD 2025R with 60D, 2009 Bad Boy (31hp professional version), 2014 JD 135SE (son in law's, I maintain). Anyhow, back to the point, I have had less than the best luck with "factory" support as to knowledge, parts availability, and general support so I have started doing a lot of business on line. One of the sites used consistently is Jacks Small Engines primarily for Gator blades and belts and no, this is not a commercial for JSE, I tend to go back to retailers that do and deliver as promised. My estimate is that I have ordered a dozen belts and twice that blades from this one site. One last example, The Bad Boy deck belt is an unusual size (152 1/4 x 5/8"). My dealer estimated 7 to 10 days on order. On line, 2 days and 2/3s the price, made in America with Kevlar and marked with the correct part number. Just be aware of Amazon junk. Honestly, I don't even trust the product description on their site, having found several over the years that weren't accurate. Do your homework, make sure you know what you're getting and I feel you will be well satisfied. Last thing, I am old, therefore by default, wise. Almost have the grandkids convinced of that.
I have purchased quite a bit from JSE over the past few years as well. I've been quite happy with them. Also happy with GreenPartStore (and they'll ship for free if you use TTWT as a coupon code). Thanks Tim!

As for Amazon, I don't buy anything of consequence from them anymore due to the significant uptick in counterfeit goods and fake reviews.

When it comes to deck belts, I have always replaced mine every 2 or 3 years whether I needed to or not. Then I keep the old one as a reserve in case the belt on the machine breaks during the cutting season. I'll likely stick with OEM since I've got a dealer less than 5 mins away. I have had reasonably good luck with blades since I'm pretty meticulous about avoiding rocks. I sharpen them at the beginning of the mowing season and then again approximately half way through the season. Don't forget to give the spindles some grease periodically. I do that about every 15 hours of mowing.

Best,

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts
I have had no issues with name brand aftermarket blades. As far as belts, if JD made belts for other things I would buy them. I don’t know of a brand that lasts as long or holds up as well.

·
Registered
27,800 Posts
As far as belts, if JD made belts for other things I would buy them. I don’t know of a brand that lasts as long or holds up as well.
I agree with this 100% after over 40 years of working with Deere mowing equipment. I just see no reason to look at anything else.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Blades are like engine oil. They are all the best and they are all garbage. It just depends who you ask. I’ve used them all and it depends on the lawn for what works best.

I use JD belts almost exclusively. The prices aren’t outrageous, often equal to aftermarket from a reputable manufacturer, and they do have excellent service life.

As for part availability, I have 2 well stocked dealers nearby. I’m usually surprised they have many obscure parts on hand. I’ve never had to order a belt or a blade.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
One point to remember when buying aftermarket belts is they're probably WRONG right out of the box! JD uses 36º or 37º (I can't remember which!) on their belts & pulleys. 99%, if not more, of aftermarket are 40º. This means a smaller area of contact making the belt wear faster and possibly the pulleys too! JD also uses some "strange" lengths for their belts and it's difficult, if not impossible, to get the correct length. For the few dollars more that you spend for a JD belt, they're cheaper in the long run! Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up sticking with JD parts, my dealer is 10 min up the road. I was more or less curious of the oregon blades. I've had good luck with their chains and bars on my Stihl chainsaws. Wasnt sure about the mower blades other than a few people had mentioned they are thicker.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
If you talk to your dealer, I think you'll find that he sells Oregon blades, so you're actually getting a JD part! Oh, and I've been using Oregon Predator mulching blades from my JD dealer for about 4 years now... with no complaints! Bob

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
If you have the mulch kit installed, the JD OEM blades seem to be the only thing anyone uses and work excellent in my experience. I'm not aware of an aftermarket low-lift mulch blade either. If you're side discharging, Gator G5 and Gator G6 blades are a fan favorite. I used Gator G6 blades when I was side discharging and loved them. Would buy again for that purpose over OEM or standard high lift blades.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have the mulch kit and like it very much. OEM blades work great, no need for me to ever change to anything else. As far as the belt, I have seen nothing but good reviews and statements regarding the belt here on GTT. Mine works fine since 2016. I actually don’t know it’s life expectancy but thinking of ordering one to have in. If anyone knows their life expectancy please post.

·
Registered
27,800 Posts
I have the mulch kit and like it very much. OEM blades work great, no need for me to ever change to anything else. As far as the belt, I have seen nothing but good reviews and statements regarding the belt here on GTT. Mine works fine since 2016. I actually don’t know it’s life expectancy but thinking of ordering one to have in. If anyone knows their life expectancy please post.
My mower deck is 11 years old (tractor is 14) and probably has around 400 hours on it.

I keep a backup of everything here living in the boonies. Filters, fluids, hardware, etc. But I have hesitated to buy a mower deck belt to hang in the barn.

I feel that belts are like tires in a way. As soon as they are manufactured they begin to slowly degrade. So if I had bought a spare belt 11 years ago I am afraid it would have been partially dry rotted by now.

It will soon be time to change my belt after I gave it a good inspection a couple weeks ago. A couple very minor marks on it. Maybe next year…..

It’s not a trivial purchase at over $80.

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
532 Posts
I've had great experiences with Jack's Small Engines, too. Good parts and knowledgeable service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.