Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well
I smashed my factory bumper yesterday...2007 Dodge 3500...yea I got a pic.

Looking at all the options....too many.

Problem is they are all goofy looking.

I'd like an old school type;
Flat Top so I can stand on it.
Open top in Winch area so I can use a Warn 8274 (upright) type winch. I have a couple xtras and don't want to purchase a low profile type.

Anyone have a clue of a brand like I'm looking for?

There are many many Manfactures..
IMG_20201119_150722964.jpg

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I like the Ranch Hand bumpers. I looked around a bit, couldn't find anything with a flat top that didn't have a brush guard that would get in the way of it being a step. All of the aftermarket bumpers are really heavy though, and will increase wear on front end components. I had a guy run a stop sign in a Honda accord a few years ago, and I hit him with my tow hook on my 03 2500. Dented the chrome like yours, I looked at an aftermarket, and decided to just leave it. Not only are the bumpers $1000-$1500, you're going to pay around $600 to ship it, it just wasn't worth it to me in the end.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put ranch hand and fab four full replacemaent bumpers on all our trucks. Otherwise the fenders, grill and headlight assemblies would be trashed. Not bad insurance savers also. Don't know how many deer I have hit deadcenter doing 75-80 mph and just kept on driving with no damage at all other than a trip to the carwash

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Would the Power wagon bumper from a scrap yard work ? I don’t care for some of the after market winch bumpers myself.

I have been trying to get a factory winch setup fro my Tremor. But apparently it’s still not available even though Ford said I could get it added on by mid summer.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ranch Hand looks to be the best option. Or stay stock and Warn or Fab Four makes a kit to hang a winch in front of stock bumper.
07-10 seem to be odd years with not much support. Warn builds a real nice Bumper/grill guard for the 2020............Its almost 7500 bucks....No winch ,no lights, just the bumper.
All these new ones are ugly to me and useless as a step....and my nice factory tow hooks that are 300 a piece gotta go to install any of the new stuff .You'd think buying a bumper would be simple

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MurphRanch

Do the ranch hand brand actually have a useable flat spot /step on the Top of bumper?

Pics I'm seeing just don't show that detail very well.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Just throwing this out for consideration...

What about a front bumper with a 2" receiver? It is an option in a few of them out there. Not sure if you do much with trailers or have hooked a trailer to the front of a vehicle before but it is so much easier to maneuver them into tight spaces. Not only the visibility aspect but having the steering on the axle closest to the trailer.

Also on the winch front, they make them that are mounted to a 2" receiver so then the winch could just be inserted into the front bumper or if it works better on the rear of the truck and you have long enough power it is more useful. Also there are those steps that can be inserted in the receiver. Probably wouldn't want it there all the time but if needing to access under the hood.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just throwing this out for consideration...

What about a front bumper with a 2" receiver? It is an option in a few of them out there. Not sure if you do much with trailers or have hooked a trailer to the front of a vehicle before but it is so much easier to maneuver them into tight spaces. Not only the visibility aspect but having the steering on the axle closest to the trailer.

Also on the winch front, they make them that are mounted to a 2" receiver so then the winch could just be inserted into the front bumper or if it works better on the rear of the truck and you have long enough power it is more useful. Also there are those steps that can be inserted in the receiver. Probably wouldn't want it there all the time but if needing to access under the hood.
I have thought of this and it may be the answer.
Already have 2 8274's sitting in receiver mounts.
Really only ever possibly need the winch in the winter if I get in a bind somewhere.
Theres a Trailer hooked to the rear at all times so no need for the rear mount.
They make Just a receiver for my truck/front but they hang down way too low....something higher in line with the tow hooks would be doable.
Every bumper made now is useless as a step/work platform. I don't find them all that attractive ...I guess I'm old school.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
They make Just a receiver for my truck/front but they hang down way too low....something higher in line with the tow hooks would be doable.
Yeah I agree with that. I didn't see it in your list of what you were looking for but thought that it might be an option that will accomplish a lot of your goals. While a flat top step style is nice sometimes they are so high you need a step ladder to get to the top of the bumper area anyhow but a receiver opens the door to a lot of options. The underslung receivers that work with OEM bumpers are going to be something that is just far too low for me as well. If I were replacing the bumper with an aftermarket one I sure would put it high on my list though. I do think a lot of the ones out there on aftermarket options do have them. I looked at some of the Ranch Hands when they were mentioned here and did see it on some of them.

I guess the biggest unknown is how much weight they can take. Not like you are going to be pulling a camper going backwards but a 1 ton truck is heavy and that is a big winch so is it too much strain for even these aftermarket bumpers? It might be another point to narrow down the search, As I said, I was just throwing out an idea for consideration.

I have never done a bumper swap like this personally so I can't speak to brands and such.

·
Premium Member
8,937 Posts
Bloody hell, $2,300 for a bumper?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a few in the 1200's then they jump by that much for adding options.

You could sink 6K with a winch & lights real fast.

I'm trying to minimize my stupid mistake but get something actually usefull. I can't believe how they have dumbed up a bumper. This used to be easy. Maybe Ramsey has something "normal".

·
Premium Member
8,937 Posts
That's crazy money for a bumper. As much as I'd like a new truck, I can't justify $80k+ for one when my paid off '99 F-250 still works and looks just fine.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
That's crazy money for a bumper. As much as I'd like a new truck, I can't justify $80k+ for one when my paid off '99 F-250 still works and looks just fine.
You can get a new truck for a lot less than 80k .

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
8,937 Posts
No doubt, depending on it's equipped. However; $60k is still too rich for me.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Duke
First off that's there king of winches, 150ftof cable 3/8 thick, and the fastest of all. Ran that same winch on my 79 F250. Warn had some flat bumpers back then. A piece of C channel make your own is what I would do.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,099 Posts
Duke,
If I'm not mistaken, I think you're looking for something like this.

The younger fellas are calling this "Old School".

You may want to search local wrecking yards for a good used winch bumper.

There are placed that specialize in used item of this sort, mainly take-offs. Down here, Hendry's in East Texas sells used HD front bumper. Might have a place similar in NE, OR.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duke,
If I'm not mistaken, I think you're looking for something like this.
View attachment 762686

The younger fellas are calling this "Old School".

You may want to search local wrecking yards for a good used winch bumper.

There are placed that specialize in used item of this sort, mainly take-offs. Down here, Hendry's in East Texas sells used HD front bumper. Might have a place similar in NE, OR.
That is Exactly what I want.
Where to get it......I'll pay a finders fee :unsure:

To Driveshaft.....I have a 78 F250..3 of them...With correct Warn Bumpers on 2

The 3rd has my own design...it hits the scale at over 800 with winch and goodies.

This should never have gone to the crap they are building now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts