Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently learned that the locally owned chain of 3 JD dealers was sold to Ag-Pro last month. I know they are buying up “mom and pop” locations around the country. I’m just wondering if this is a positive or negative for prices and service in our area of E. TN.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm not impressed with Ag Pro. The salesman have become typical salesmen and the prices on parts and tractors are quite a bit higher. I bought two tractors and a zero turn from the previous owners with great experiences, doubt I will ever buy a tractor from this dealership.

Service does seem to be as good as usual.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I bought my current tractor from them when I lived n GA. They were great work with, the techs were good and I never had an issue with their work. I think the scale of a dealer has positives and negatives

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ag-Pro acquired the local dealership here in Ohio about a year ago. It appears that the current employees were all retained, and sales and service seemed to be the same until I made another purchase. The suggested JD listed prices were just what you paid until A-P took over. The stock items I got that day were 10-15% higher than listed. The not in stock item, that would normally take 2 days to get, finally arrived after another 7 business days plus a weekend. No explanation as to why it took so long. I don't like knowing I'm being ripped off and may begin mail ordering the L&G parts I need and pay the shipping from Indiana. Probably won't save any money, but the extra cost is not the issue. Taking advantage of customers is.

A local family had run the business for 62 years (3 generations) before selling to another Ohio based JD dealer. They didn't say so, but we think Mother Deere was pressuring them to get bigger, again. The new owners bought the local dealer's 3 stores, which made them 10 total, then sold most of their stores to Ag-Pro after only about a year. Probably the same reason.

tommyhawk

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Tommyhawk, most of my purchases are online! I find JD dealers that also do online sales! Green parts store is one of them!(y) I've dealt with them for years. I am lucky too, to have a local JD dealer that is great to deal with!:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
The local dealer is just 2 miles from my home, and my displeasure will give in to practicality most often. (just don't tell A-P!) There is one dealer about 25 miles away that is not yet owned by A-P, but all others within 40 miles have sold out too. I wouldn't drive farther than the 2 miles though. Not cost effective for the few dollars I would save. I probably spend less than a grand a year for parts now, keeping my L&G's and a 1950 "B" going, and picking up some parts for others that can't get there during the day. Not sure if I'm up to restoring any more but I'd like to!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
90 Posts
My take from Ohio,

Pro: With their sales, pricing on a new machine is almost unbeatable. First shopped for a 2025 just prior to their buyout of 3 different chains here in Ohio. Was quoted Deere price...and they would throw in a hat. Stopped back after the AgPro change Jan 1 and price on same machine somehow dropped around 3k. Didnt get a hat, but they did allow sales tax exemption too...so I called it a win.

Con: the days of mom and pop are gone. If no sale, price feels high. Not super pricing on the used inventory and be prepared to be offered laughable pricing on trade in.

Overall, its ok. As mentioned parts are sourcable online cheaper and easier. Most of same employees are still around - but that may change over time. They seem committed to improving service and turn around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my 1025R through AgPro in south Texas...the local "mom and pop" stores could not beat their price. I drove an extra 20 miles to buy from AgPro and saved around $3K total...also got a 18 foot trailer over a 14 or 16 foot trailer (and still saved the $3K).

The sales staff seemed more interested in the sale than talking about tractor parts and attachments but, I have shopped online and local for the things I have needed as they are a bit higher on price than local or online. First buying experience with AgPro or major agriculture equipment so I have no previous experience to compare...seemed a lot like a car dealer buying experience to me so it was a familiar process.

The "mom and pop" store wanted me to come in and sit with them to talk price, attachments, use, etc. I felt I knew what I wanted already though (researched ahead of time) so I called around and AgPro sold me what I wanted all via text and calls. I showed up and signed papers, hooked up the trailer and was gone in about 30 min. 20 hours in on the SCUT and I feel I have exactly what I was looking for!

Who knows where AgPro will be down the road if I decide to trade/upgrade so I'll work that then...my main concern when planning a major purchase is price and AgPro beat everyone's price so I went with them. Undecided if I will utilize them for the 50 hour service even though I have it included in my purchase...didn't talk to the service techs but I will head back up there and chat a bit before I decide if they can work on my SCUT.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I wasn't impressed with AgPro in Macon GA. I bought a D160 from them. The salesman laid out sick for a week and never bothered to tell anybody to deliver my mower. I went with Sunsouth when I bought my 1025.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I worked for Greensouth Equipment which had around 20 stores in the southeast. After I retired, they were bought out by AP. Most of the employees I knew are gone. The older guys are being replaced by a bunch of inexperienced people. Their parts dept. is a joke. They can never seem to get an order right. Wrong quantity, incomplete order, etc. even though I order online from them. Their parts prices seem to have gone up 10% since they became AP. I now go online as much as possible to compare prices. Do not even think of trading in anything. They do not want to be bothered. If you get a price quote from one store, other AP stores know exactly what the quote was and will not give you another quote.

The good old days are gone and this is now the reality.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jd Equipment, here in Ohio was bought out about a year ago by Ag-Pro. They were the largest dealer in Ohio, but still small compared to Ag-Pro. I have had both good and bad experiences with them.

It seems that the departments that have had the most personnel change have suffered the most. My sales rep remained and has extended even better deals since the take over. The service manager stayed as did most of the service techs, so all is well there. It was the parts department that took a major hit. First off, the young man that used to know me by name is no longer there. This kid was a pleasure to work with. Most everyone in the parts department are new or transplanted from other Ag-Pro locations. Online advertised prices were 10-15% higher when you called to verify stock or when you went to pick the parts up. They projected an "I don't care if you don't like it" attitude when you confronted them. Well.....that's our price. Fortunately for me, the former parts manager stayed in power. After a conversation with him, he said he wasn't aware of this pricing discrepancy. He has instructed his staff to honor whatever is the lower price, whether it be online pricing or their computer system.

I'm one to speak up, but, how many other customers will let them get away with this upcharging practice? All in all, my experiences have been mostly positive. Time will tell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wasn't impressed with AgPro in Macon GA. I bought a D160 from them. The salesman laid out sick for a week and never bothered to tell anybody to deliver my mower. I went with Sunsouth when I bought my 1025.
I’ve been trying to work a deal with AP in Athens, GA for a 1025r but they won’t budge and don’t seem to be anywhere near the 15-18% below MSRP that I’ve read others suggest is getting a decent deal. Do you feel Sunsouth got you in the ballpark or did you just kind of settle? I’ve been thinking I should hit them up, but I’m sandwiched between two local AP dealers (Athens and Carnesville) and Sunsouth is a good distance further away (Barnesville).

·
Registered
642 Posts
I’ve been trying to work a deal with AP in Athens, GA for a 1025r but they won’t budge and don’t seem to be anywhere near the 15-18% below MSRP that I’ve read others suggest is getting a decent deal. Do you feel Sunsouth got you in the ballpark or did you just kind of settle? I’ve been thinking I should hit them up, but I’m sandwiched between two local AP dealers (Athens and Carnesville) and Sunsouth is a good distance further away (Barnesville).
The Sunsouth in Barnesville was where I went and was treated well I thought. My deal was more like 11% which I think is probably a more realistic expectation. I'm 56 miles from Sunsouth and 20 miles from Agpro. Agpro didn't have any scut's on the lot anyhow. Sunsouth had 4 tlb's to choose from plus other's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Sunsouth in Barnesville was where I went and was treated well I thought. My deal was more like 11% which I think is probably a more realistic expectation. I'm 56 miles from Sunsouth and 20 miles from Agpro. Agpro didn't have any scut's on the lot anyhow. Sunsouth had 4 tlb's to choose from plus other's.
That 11% is about where AgPro in Athens was. The salesman was nice enough, if that’s a going rate around here, sometimes you just roll with the punches and buy local, and maybe that’s what’s I’ll do. That’ll make parts and service more convenient too. Thanks for the feedback! :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Our local dealership was aquired by RDO probably close to a decade ago. Sure everyone was pessimistic as to what was to come.

What was to come was...
a huge modern shop
more employees hired
very competitive benefits package for employees
involvement in the community
access to equipment at other RDO stores
more inventory stocked
financially stable company and very likely that they will always be there

I feel that I have been paying more than some of you have, not seeing big discount from msrp. I just ask if this is a good price and they say yes. I receive good service which is far more important than a low price.
For what it's worth, I sell for a living and have no desire to be the guy that gets the lowest price of anyone. I want the dealership and salesperson to make enough off me to value me as a customer.
It sucks a little to pay too much, but it sucks far worse to pay too little.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m not a good enough negotiator that I’m ever going to get the “best price”, I do feel it’s fiscally responsible to seek a “fair price”. Having no prior experience in tractor purchasing, I’ve turned to this forum in an effort to figure out what a fair price is.
I work for a company which is the largest in our field, and monthly I hear the call for “more” from a sales perspective. While I’m not in a typical sales position, personally, there is no commission, bonus, incentive, or otherwise to drive me to provide anything other than quality service to those who seek our services. That, mostly as a reflection of myself, I hope. The “more” is passed straight up to the top or to investors.
If I had enough knowledge or experience to believe that my paying more would benefit my salesperson (and not just the brass) and get me seen as a valuable customer perhaps I wouldn’t concern myself so much. For me this is a big (very big) expenditure, and I’m only in a position where I can consider it due to having learned to be educated about past purchases as well. Being new to the idea of tractor owner, and new the dealership, it’s hard to grasp that AgPro as a whole would view me as part of their future and not a simple sale. I hope that perspective is due to inexperience, but I don’t want to show up at the door with an entire truckload of my naivety either. I mean, I get it, Companies are in business to make money, and wouldn’t have the growth of an AgPro if they lost money on sales but when a company owns everything regionally, any competition is lost and the consumer foots the bill at whatever price the seller sets, because, what other choice do you have?
I’m not trying to be a smarta$$ here, I’m just trying to be a responsible and hopefully, educated, consumer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
IDK about Ag-Pro, but here in the SC I've been very happy with my dealings with Blanchard. I know they're in SC and GA, but I thought they had extended to TN, but don't know for sure. I wasn't too impressed with Sparrow and Kennedy when I went in there inquiring about a tractor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts