Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've browsed the forums for 2-3 months now and haven't come to a solid conclusion of which is better for my task. Below are some pictures of what I need to do. I have a lot of brush, overgrowth, and dead trees to cleanup in about 2 acres of land. I don't have any kind of bar on my bucket on my 1025R TLB. I have already been pushing down up 8" black locust trees with this SCUT, but need more with ripping out the root balls and stumps all over my land.

The other tasks, not pictured, are 1) getting rid of humps and dips in my yard to prevent water pooling, especially up near the house. I plan to get a box blade to help with that as well. 2) I need a 80x90 pad leveled out for a building next spring, as well as a service drive up to it. So to save money on having a bulldozer come out, I was thinking of tackling it myself, or at least getting a lot of it done myself to reduce the costs.

I've read that the Piranha is great for brush, maybe for some light digging. So maybe this is my better choice? But I've seen the Heavy Hitch online in some videos, digging away at stuff. As for the stumps, I'm thinking my best bet may be the backhoe to dig them out, or burn them, or both (because who doesn't like burning stuff?). Pay no attention to the pirate ship project lol...

land 1.jpg
land 2.jpg
land 3.jpg
land 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I recently purchased the HH tooth bar, I’ve never used the piranha so can’t compare. From what I’ve seen so far the HH is a remarkable all purpose tooth bar, I’ve even dug out shrubs and large bushes with it. It really digs in a variety of soil, and as we all know, these little tractors just don’t have the weight to push, so any advantage you can give is definitely worth it.
As for your stumps I agree, the backhoe is the right tool for that task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Either one

I think you are safe with either one. A backhoe is the ticket for the stumps unless you use a burn ring or just like burning stuff. Soak them good with diesel for a few days, stack some dry wood around them and light them off. Locust will burn for a long time and the roots will burn underground so make sure you consider that. Considering all the neighboring woods, I'd try to time it right before a rain or snow event just so you don't have to babysit burning stumps. Light them off, play with them a little (marshmellows, dogs anyone) and then when the precip starts you can head to the house.

Definitely cheaper than the backhoe but maybe not quite as much fun. Course there's always other alternatives. ANFO and a cap comes to mind but the neighbors might get curious or furious depending on how excitable they are.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice on the stumps. My backhoe is going to get a lot of use over the next year or so, digging all those up.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
me-i'm partial to the tooth bar-cause i had my boy weld me one up. never used the other. :good2:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the piranha tooth bar and it does very good in my sandy soil. I don't know how well it would do in rocky soil though. It rips out everything I run over with it including the roots.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have mostly clay about a foot down.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
You sir can be the person to actually answer that age old question.

Most of us just have one or the other so our opinions are just based on what we have.

Buy both.

Then after you have used both of them for various tasks you can report back your findings.

:bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts

Most of us just have one or the other so our opinions are just based on what we have.

Buy both.

Then after you have used both of them for various tasks you can report back your findings.

:bigbeer:
Haha, I like it good reply rtgt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Buy both.

Lol, I've considered it, honestly. But, I have only had this tractor since June, and have only had the land for a little over a year and a half. City boy lol. Maybe they should each send me one to do a comparison YouTube video on....

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Tractor Time with . . .

Lol, I've considered it, honestly. But, I have only had this tractor since June, and have only had the land for a little over a year and a half. City boy lol. Maybe they should each send me one to do a comparison YouTube video on....
Well, there are some folks on here with video experience and audiences. Might be interesting. You've to the tractor and the stumps. Maybe we should do a GTT crowd fund- you buy one the rest of us buy the other and then the "losing" bar gets put up for sale.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my little 1025R pushed this dead 20" wide locust tree out of the ground last night, without either tooth bar. There were 3 of these a foot apart that have been dead for who knows how long, so I'm sure the root balls were rotting away soon. All 3 up and out. But, it was still fun, and that's all that counts lol.

stump.jpg

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have the HH. Works good for me, but like th others said, I’ve never used the competition. Sure is a lot of people that like them, though. When I go to buy things, I don’t care what the company says, I listen to the people who bought it. That tells you all you need to know. I dug this road today with the HH. It’s great for popping rocks out that are buried.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
Well, there are some folks on here with video experience and audiences. Might be interesting. You've to the tractor and the stumps. Maybe we should do a GTT crowd fund- you buy one the rest of us buy the other and then the "losing" bar gets put up for sale.

Treefarmer
There are no losers, everyone gets a participation trophy :lol:

All tooth bars matter

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yank - How many passes did you do in that? I'm right there with you. I don't take a company's word for anything. I take the word of those who've used them and the word of multiple reviews, etc. I tend to look at the negative reviews to see what people experience as failures to make up my mind.

PJR832 - #ToothbarLivesMatter ? :laugh:

Seriously, though, I am considering buying both at this point. They each have their own purpose, and both are at or under $329. I can see how the Piranha would do very well at pushing over all the 1-2" trees and brush built up, but I think the HH would do a better job of digging and moving dirt, such as for leveling land for a building project or working on a new driveway. As soon as I get them, I'll start posting pics :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
There was a poll on here a few weeks ago ..

I think there was a poll on here and about 30 people selected the one they liked best. If I remember right it was a 80/20 for Pir and HH:laugh:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well it looks like I'm the only one online today at least that has had both. I prefer the HH BAR, but my soil is clay and rocks 50/50 and the HH digs better for me. I think that the real answer is that it depends on your soil and intended purpose. Buy Both :lolol::lolol::lolol::gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it looks like I'm the only one online today at least that has had both. I prefer the HH BAR, but my soil is clay and rocks 50/50 and the HH digs better for me. I think that the real answer is that it depends on your soil and intended purpose. Buy Both :lolol::lolol::lolol::gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

Would you say my assessment is correct? That the HH is better for digging, and the Piranha is maybe better for overgrowth and brush? My soil is a lot of clay once I get down about 10-12 inches.

Reactions: Robnik and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
Well, there we have it, finally someone who can give a real world comparison of the two. :thumbup1gif:

BTW-I'm kind of partial to the HH myself

:lol:

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That was just a couple of passes forward and a couple backdrags. I use the round part of my bucket for backdragging, regardless of what toothbar is on my bucket. You have to keep in mind that my land is rockier than almost anyone on this forum. I bought the HH for that reason, and it was the right choice. I can dig the longer tooth of the HH underneath a small boulder and flip it out of its hole. Works great for me. Moved an estimated 800 pound rock that was buried today. Took some digging, but the HH worked just as planned.

Reactions: Robnik and PJR832
1 - 20 of 29 Posts